UK Elle August 2010 : Lily Allen by Rankin

^Make of that what you will but she wasn't mocking disabled people, and neither am I. That's how Lily came across to a 71 year old. There were many, less kind euphemisms she could have chosen.

I actually like the cover shot, but The masthead over her face doesn't look good. I suppose it'd look better if it was more zoomed in.

^Make of that what you will but she wasn't mocking disabled people, and neither am I. That's how Lily came across to a 71 year old. There were many, less kind euphemisms she could have chosen.

Sorry, but is "She could have used worse" supposed to make what you said (or rather, what your grandmother said) any more appropriate? That's like saying that your grandmother could have used one offensive racial slur over another in describing someone of colour - and yes, it IS the same level. Implying that someone looks like they're disabled as an insult is highly offensive no matter what way you look at it. If you can't figure that much out on your own then that's your own fault, not anyone else's for not finding it particularly entertaining.

Seriously - dislike Lily all you want (I know I'm certainly in the absolute minority on TFS anyway in liking her, it's not as if I can change anyone's mind!) but you don't have to resort to *that*.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Lily, think it's a good cover, and she looks beautiful her in ed. That's the end of for me really. I don't feel she's an irrelevant choice, she clearly works well for Elle or they wouldn't have used her again. Clearly the readers like her.

It's certainly not a waste of a cover.

:lol: at all the negative comments. It's hilarious to see that if people don't like someone, he or she is immediately irrelevant.

I'm so thrilled to see Lily on the cover though! She looks amazing. Can't wait to see her editorial and read her interview.

She does look stunning in those pics. I think the "irrelevant" comes from her saying she's quitting the music business etc and has no album out at the moment. I'll believe she's quit when she's not in the public eye anymore including magazine covers. I don't want her to quit cause I like her songs.

She's promoting her own store which is opening, she's involved with the vintage festival...

HQ Subscribers:

*scan by vogue28

No one cares about Lily Allen anymore, Yawn inducing cover.

Might like some of the contents.

Well, evidently some people do.

She's opening a store in Portabello I think it is? I forget the name, but it's with her sister. They'll be selling vintage pieces, as well as some other new labels.

^Lucy in Disguise, is the name of the store

I prefer the subscribers cover, the newsstand covers are starting to look the same, IMO

I don't really understand why people just have to be on the cover to promote something, Lily seems to be a good seller for Elle so that's why they choose her again.

And besides that, she's indeed opening a store some people already mentioned. And Channel 4 are also making a documentary about her and the opening of her store.

If it wasn't for the F/W ads in this issue, I wouldn't be that interested. Lily does nothing for me.
However I am liking her latest song with Professor Green ^_^. Must admit, the subscribers cover is better in real too.
In terms of editorial content, this issue is lacking. The Women is the strongest edit, but Power Trip reminds me of Vogue Nippon.

Not long until F/W Elle Collections though, right? Usually it's around July 15th!

One thing I noticed, is that there is no F/W supplement - they usually come with the August issue.
The tiny Paul & Joe Sister tee is a bonus I guess - for you female readers.
Here's an ad from this issue, for the September issue, in which the supplement will be included.

Elle685.jpg

*scan by vogue28

love the catwalk guide cover, although it's kinda reminded me with Vogue Paris Collection cover..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->