UK Harper’s Bazaar June 2024 : Jourdan Dunn by Richard Phibbs

very solid issue for Harper’s Bazaar UK. love the cover and all content (even if it could have been more elevated smh…).

a must have because Jourdan’s ed is gorgeous.

Vogue should be the gold standard of fashion - but it's not, and that's when you see people paying more attention to magazines that otherwise might not attract that many comments.

Everything that people are saying about UK Bazaar in this thread holds true - including that it's consistent, and that it harks back to an older view of what it means to be British.

But Vogue seems unable to synthesise a vision of modern Britain that conveys a genuine sense of energy. Vogue should be providing a vision of fashion that celebrates new faces and hidden voices with the same attention to detail and sense of effort that was shown to people in the past. Where is the iconic imagery in 2024 that people will be referring back to in twenty years?

It's not being produced, because everything is on the same level as tracksuits and trainers. That might be reality, what people wear, but nobody needs help wearing tracksuits and trainers, nobody feels inspired by seeing them. There's no fashion fantasy, there's no sense of trying for something outside of yourself, better than you are, something you never thought of, but once you saw it in Vogue, it opened the door to a new world for you.

coming from one of our most insightful TFS’ers @tigerrouge made me think (thank you), that there’s probably nothing wrong with showing trainers/ sneakers and sportswear… but elevate it!
people who I see at fashion luxury stores wear these more sporty, everyday items with a sense of elevated style either you can tell it’s unique and personal, or not.
and I might be wrong but this type of people are most likely the readers and therefore buyers of fashion magazines (one of the many clusters I’m sure).
they (and everyone else), want to see what they covet, desire and lust after perfectly styled in the pages of Harper’s Bazaar, Vogue, ELLE… GQ… even magazines like who have tons of fashion advertising, like Monocle (slightly random example but it makes sense to me to use it).

fashion magazine covers, edits and advertorial wise have been through really dark uninspiring times.
(Covid didn’t help at all it did a made it ‘worse’ imo)
fashion designers were becoming and still are quite stall and unexciting but I feel that with some newer and and not so new designers showing up and being confident with their work if also helps bring all the rest forward.
amazing clothes inspire amazing photography and amazing editorials etc

I digress a little… however…

Fashion should always mirror society and/ but elevate it.
this is why it’s from the runway to the streets and not the other way around.

THE OTHERS
Photography:
Erdem Moralıoğlu
Styling: Erdem Moralıoğlu
Hair: Declan Sheils
Make-up: Amy Conway
Model: Alice McGrath

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

THE ROMANCE OF THE FOREST
Photography:
Erik Madigan Heck
Styling: Chloe Hartstein
Hair: Orlado Pita
Make-up: Francelle Daly
Model: Ali Michael

UK Harper's Bazaar Digital Edition

Where is the iconic imagery in 2024 that people will be referring back to in twenty years?
Let me get this straight, you're saying THIS image isn't iconic? 😔

1715989184873.png

No, but seriously. I wonder why Vogue UK is struggling to successfully portray a modern Britain. Now that I think about it, I sometimes feel like it's trying to be a mish-mash of "cool" magazines like Dazed & Confused, i-D, The Face merged with their idea of what Vogue was/is... and it flops because it's all out of date, presented too poorly, sloppy, everything gets lost. I think there are a few stereotypical sides of (I'll be honest from super super outsider's perspective) -- London, presented and that's it! Like the Vogue House issue... who.. cares? I still can't wrap my head around that one.

It reminds me of a quote from the book that came out around Vogue Paris' 100th Anniversary: "Vogue Paris was a fashion magazine, not a lifestyle magazine. The result was a detachment from reality that not only made these images more alluring, but also lent them a mystical status. It can therefore be said that although these Vogue Paris shoots were emblematic of their time, they did not reflect it, or at most did so in a minor way." It reminds me of how poorly Vogue UK is doing because it's just offering nothing, no lifestyle, no fantasy, etc. Things can be realistic and attainable, I roll my eyes when people bemoan the supposed "democratization of fashion," because come on... things can be presented well. Anyway, all of this is to say that Vogue UK has been offering a whole bunch of nothing (which isn't much more than what most magazines are offering, either). I feel more inspired by the vintage fashion magazines I buy.

The cover is above good, but not getting surprised about it. It's safe and well done. The ed has that close up that would have been interesting as a cover. But, I celebrate this magazine keeps an identity that you can see in every issue. It's so rare now and a reminder there's something from the great days alive.

It reminds me of Tatler and I aint mad at that. She looks regal in the editorial great photography from Richard Phibbs who combines fashion and commercial quality. The other editorials are equally beautiful a solid issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silvercat90
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->