UK Harpers Bazaar July 2009 : Uma Thurman by Alexi Lubomirski

^The newsstand copy isn't out yet :flower:

the cover is LOVE!!! like it!!! uma look so stunning especially her facial expression.

love love the eds. too! especially diane's one. thanks vogue28 for the scans!!!

I don't find previews anything special but some reason I have bought Bazaar UK almost every issue lately. It feel some how more glamourous than Vogue.

Apologizes. I just saw it in the store, and the newstand is the same shot as subscribers. Just with more text, still appealing though.

Apologizes. I just saw it in the store, and the newstand is the same shot as subscribers. Just with more text, still appealing though.

Thanks for all your scans. Just seen the issue. Stunning. And, unusually, I think I prefer the newstand cover. The typography really complements the image. Great to see Alexi Lubormirski shooting for UK Bazaar. Much prefer this cover to the ones he does for the US.

The idea that Daria would be a bigger draw than Uma, regardless of how well her movies perform in the theater, is just preposterous imo.

That is one stunning cover. I don't think there would be so much bemoaning about celebrity cover if they all were done that right.

Also, in term of content and editorials, UK HB has been outclassing UK Vogue, in my view.
I will be buying that issue.

I know that celebs sale, but I'm always confused as to why? Who are these people who look at Uma or Drew or Gwyneth on the cover and Think... Gee let me pick this up and see what she says!!! I can understand the interest in the whole Brangelina triangle and such because there might be the promise of some juicy gossip or what not, but seriously what's Uma got to say that might interest anybody at this point? I like her and I like the cover but I'm getting tired of the same comment about celebs selling being repeated over and over. It might be true but it's also the most cliche and unoriginal way for an editor to sell a magazine, Grow some balls already and put Daria on a knock out cover. How do we know she doesn't sell? Surely if she can front the March issue of UK Vogue, she can be on the cover of a July issue of UK Bazaar. I think the real reason models don't land covers is because editors are scared that they won't sell so they don't give them a shot, but if this were true then wouldn't UK Vogue have become like it's American counterpart and switched to celebs entirely? I use British Vogue as an example because after US Vogue it is the most commercially successful edition of the magazine and the most profitable magazine in Britain and still they use models atleast 3/4 of the time. so if models were such newstand poison why would they land on the cover of a major magazine that relies heavily on newstand sales with such regularity?

Last edited by a moderator:
p.s. It has also been said that VOGUE sells VOGUE, and the same should be true for any title, the Masthead itself should be able to move issues. If an editor has to rely so heavily on the cult of celebrity to sell copies it probably has to do with the magazine having a lack of direction or weak identity.

I like this cover, I like Uma......but.....as you say I don't know how interested I would be to read about her current lifestyle.:unsure: She's a smart girl but I think I know enough about her already and this mag is not gonna make me wanna know anymore just because she looks good on it's cover.
Harpers UK were doing great last year especially when putting models on their covers......and they never used the most obvious girls and that made it more interestingB) now it appears they are falling back to their old ways with celeb covers unfortunately:(
These actress/singer/whatever covers are all fine and dandy but we can see their work anywhere and see that they look great.....where else can folks who are no so fashion savvy see a beautiful girl they have maybe never seen before and think she looks great.....only on a mag cover in a store.....whether it would encourage them to buy the mag or not is questionable, but all these other women have a day job to do, let them do it and let models DO their day job.

^i agree

but then again because of the 'economic crisis' i guess magazines have to put celebs on the covers now,to gain more sales and attract the general public,who obliviously doesn't have a awareness in the model world.

I think this is one of the most original celebrity covers I've seen for a while - no 3/4 length crop against a boring white background - so don't understand why it's attracting such criticism on the celeb front. Well done HB UK for doing something so original and striking with a celeb like Uma. It's just a great shot.

OMG! Cover is STUNNING! She looks like a Goddess :-) :-) :-) It looks like an iconic cover.

Love the bright colours section in the shopping section, anyone able to scan that in?

Inside shoot looks gorgeous too.

Cover is much more summery than Vogue's, which looks autumnal.

saw it on the news-stands... looks even better... she totally rocked it... i think we all were a little bit sceptical... and than she comes.... amazing WOMAN!

Is Alexi L normally a photographer for Bazaar US?

The cover really reminds me of the glory days of Liz Tilberis era Harpers Bazaar US. Best they've done in ages I think.

Any more inside features scanned in?

^Yes, togehter with Peter Lindbergh he is the promiment celebrity photgrapher of US Bazaar. This is his first cover for UK Bazaar, I believe.

He also works alot for German Vogue.

I see, thanks for letting me know.

Think it's such a good cover to have for summer.

[small] News stand cover :
33dldo3.jpg

harpersbazaar.co.uk

It's still a good cover, the white writing doesn't detract that much from her face, and keeps things light, while still being readable (at the right size in the real world).

God only knows what Bazaar has lined up for us, for the next few issues, as we head into the autumn-winter season. It's unpredictable and exciting.

Celeb: Uma Thurman
Photographer: Alexi Lubomirski
Stylist: Vanessa Coyle​

Scanned by Smile

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"