UK Vogue August 2020 : British Landscapes by Fourteen Different Subjects

If I were a fashion photogrpaher and got left out of this lineup I would be feeling pretty insecure, they even gave one to Mert and another to Marcus...

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahahahahahahahahhaahhahahaahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahhahahahaa no.

I actually feel pain looking at this. Why are editors so stupid? Why is fashion so pretentious? Looking at this shlt, I miss the times when fashion was blissfully ignorant. I know, it's unacceptable to say, I don't care. I want fashion to be about fashion. All the great editors of the past are currently rolling in their graves at the sight of this ungodly pretentiousness. If you wanted to run a travel and culture magazine, you're in the wrong goddamn profession. Please, switch!
I can't believe how hateful I've become over stupid magazine covers these days, they're like a disturbingly offensive joke and the fact that people praise this 'awareness' makes it all even worse. I truly wasn't going to say anything hateful about this, but I couldn't help it. I'm disgusted and disappointed and I want to sue someone for putting me in this position month after month. Vogue Paris is the only real Vogue left.

even in their most blissfully ignorant filled issues the images sparked emotion and hope and IMAGINATION -- they took us out of reality and made us DREAM. Now..... everything is so mundane and depressing because there is no creativity or passion anymore. It's all trash.

Knight's is the only cover that does anything for me... and even that isn't saying much

^Except magazine editors that have inexplicably kept him around for almost 30 years...

I’d keep him too. He’s not that good nowadays but there’s a soft spot for Teller. A few years ago his work was just outstanding. I just love how raw he is.
Not everything has to be Meisel-ish (perfect, fashionable, retouched to death). We need some kind of repulsive and realistic imagery out there.

Several of the images are beautiful, but it feels like overkill to have 14 covers, and then of course they feel quite removed from what I want/expect from Vogue. I think Sims and Walker were the most successful in that they created thematically relevant covers to what’s going on in the world, and I think they play off each other quite well. Tiny resilient white flowers peaking through cracks in a cement wall and Victoria standing tall against a sky filled with gathering storm clouds. It’s like the power and resilience of man and nature in the face of one another. Right now with Covid-19 we’re seeing a lot of strength and virtue from humanity in the face of a nature-created virus and we’re seeing signs of the earth recovering a bit from all the destruction and pollution humanity causes. Am I reaching? Probably. But to me those are the covers that actually evoke a feeling beyond “that’s a pretty landscape.”

I’d keep him too. He’s not that good nowadays but there’s a soft spot for Teller. A few years ago his work was just outstanding. I just love how raw he is.

Not everything has to be Meisel-ish (perfect, fashionable, retouched to death). We need some kind of repulsive and realistic imagery out there.

Teller is not worthy of my attention since he went digital, Meisel was also better when he did analogue photography btw. Analogue prevents things from becoming too retouched and it forces people to pay more attention to the process.

Sims and Knights are strong. I like them all as images to be honest. Whether I want them on the cover of Vogue is anther issue. I’ll hunt out Hockney’s and maybe Knight’s or McLellan’s.
I agree on all accounts! I'd also look out for Knight's.

Cover #14 of 14 by Martin Parr:

Hockney’s cover remains the best for me, and let’s talk about #VogueValues? Tellers and Parr’s covers should’ve been straight to a dumpster.

HMavUpa.gif

resetera.com

Mert Alas's cover is the best one in my opinion since it truly signifies their theme this month. McDean and Jamie's covers are also great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->