UK Vogue October 2018 : The Beckhams by Mikael Jansson

I love it. Its very on brand for Victoria as she does position herself as a working mum and wife, and most of her recent press, she talks about prioritsing her role as a mother and wife, as opposed to a designer only.

I also think its very of the moment, modern and refreshing for UK Vogue to have cover subjects that have depth and other dimensions to their success. Consider US Vogue's stories this year with Serena Williams and baby; Amal Clooney and Beyonce. These types of examples do provide powerful examples of women who juggle success with family responsibilities and don't necessarily have a movie or album to plug.

Lastly, the shoot and cover does have a less than perfect, fun and casual feel about it and I think it is quite fitting of the family and the ethos and brand (including their individual quirky personality traits that make them feel approachable) that they work hard at trying to communicate.

Well depends what you are looking for in a fashion magazine. I do not buy fashion magazines for the "realness" or read to about public figures success stories. I buy it for the photography, the beauty and the over the top disposable artificiality of it all. I used to be endlessly fascinated by the amazing skill that fashion and fashion magazines had of every single season creating a fantasy world out of nothing. To make people desire and pay for stuff just by wrapping it in an intoxicating package. And to do that relentlessly.
I do not understand this idea that everything has to be "relatable" , it's like everyone lost the capacity to appreciate things objectively, and panic if they do not find validation in the media, if they do not see a mirror of themselves, a lesson to learn, a powerful example.
Well as the saying goes, you win some, you lose some, I used to spend a fortune in magazines, now the pile is reduced to nothing.

What's the point of having Harper in the picture if one could barely notice her presence due to the masthead anyway? Did they forget to crop her out?

The subscriber's cover itself is better than the newsstand, but still, Vogue Paris' cover of the Beckhams three or four years ago was a million times better. Also, "Fashion Gets Real"? Did he hire someone from Cosmopolitan to write that kind of tired headline?

Well depends what you are looking for in a fashion magazine. I do not buy fashion magazines for the "realness" or read to about public figures success stories. I buy it for the photography, the beauty and the over the top disposable artificiality of it all. I used to be endlessly fascinated by the amazing skill that fashion and fashion magazines had of every single season creating a fantasy world out of nothing. To make people desire and pay for stuff just by wrapping it in an intoxicating package. And to do that relentlessly.
I do not understand this idea that everything has to be "relatable", it's like everyone lost the capacity to appreciate things objectively, and panic if they do not find validation in the media, if they do not see a mirror of themselves, a lesson to learn, a powerful example.
Well as the saying goes, you win some, you lose some, I used to spend a fortune in magazines, now the pile is reduced to nothing.

Yeah, it does seem like some people are falling hook, line and sinker for the Beckham publicity machine. I look at the carefully blocked covers and the clip where she's supposedly poking fun at her public image and I'm not seeing much disparity. Don't have a problem that if one were to look beyond the smoke and mirror of this shoot one would find that Victoria seem vain and frivolous, it's more that she's trying to belie that image with this People magazine-esque relatability.

What's so interesting is that fashion somehow thrived for many years on being entirely aspirational. I don't particularly pine for the 'good old days' because it came with it's own set of drawbacks, but I do think the current atmosphere is far too pandering, which dumbs creativity down.

Remember their W cover? that was a great cover! I wish they would have left the kids for the editorial...

Depressing.

Fashion gets real… but does it have to get mid-range department-store weekly flyer and outlet mall POP signage real…??? Oh Edward, you need to come down from your ivory tower to the streets: This is what the general public dresses like every day going to work and going to school, why would you think they’d want to see it in a Vogue— let alone pay for it??? This does not inspire nor aspire. This is just settling.

^ Used though? It's his choice, the man does not come cheap either.

Sorry Miss D, I didn't mean to say that he was being used in terms of "being taken advantage of". Lord knows all these snappers need to keep the payroll coming, as we all do! I just meant that I've noticed his work for the more commercial fashion titles has taken on a markedly more generic slant, which is no doubt direction/requests from EICs.

He has definitely done some great covers for US Vogue around the 2014 era; nowadays he seems to get stuck with those awful blogger + model + TV actress Instabait editorials, which ironically Mario used to do.

Interesting what you say about EE blowing his budget on every other cover prior to this one as well. Ridiculous considering how unremarkable many of them were, and all studio shots that could've easily appeared on any other American rag, just IMO.

do they think they are the royal family? The tree portraits and swing are such a rip off.

Worst cover under Edward, now he is hit or miss....I prefer a cover with posh & her daughter!

Review - 312 Pages.

CLAN B
Cover Stars: The Beckhams
Photographer: Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Kate Phelan
10 Photos

BRAVE NEW WORLD
Models: Adut Akech, Bruna Di, Jana Julius, Mad Manning, Hiandra Martinez, Fran Summers, Sara Grace Wallerstedt & Jiali Zhao
Photographer: David Sims
Stylist: Venetia Scott
12 Photos

THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME
Models: Jess Cole & Sarah Brown
Photographer: Karim Sadli
Stylist: Joe McKenna
9 Photos

FROM DUSK TIL DAWN
Model: Kate Moss
Photographer: Nick Knight
Stylist: Kate Moss
10 Photos

^ Thanks for the review Vogue28, for Oct that is actually quite alot of pages. Let's be honest, it's usually a throwaway month, harder to sell than the summer ones. Looking forward to Brave New World, can Edward give Adut the cover?! Although given how much he uses her, it seems Fran might get it first.

Also looking forward to Nick & Kate combo, that usually works.

I'm just looking through my own subscription copy, which came with a hole torn through the back, even though the plastic wrapping was intact.

The actual editorials are awful - apart from the Kate Moss one, which is so good, it'll make you realise the September issue of Vogue Paris is a multi-page missed opportunity. For me, this editorial is the selling point of this issue.

An Isabelle Huppert interview comes second in the content I was drawn to, and generally, the non-editorial content is lively and enjoyable.

Say what you want about her, but there are very few woman- especially at her level- in showbizz that are not afraid to take the piss out of themselves. And she does it! The video cracked me up. It was so over the top and cheesy, which made me just laugh. Go Victoria!

I have no real aversion to her being on the cover and agree the video is really amusing. She does have a good sense of humour and is more than happy to take the piss out of herself which always goes down well. That being said, this is not what I want from Vogue. If I wanted ‘real’ fashion, I’d buy Woman & Home or Good Housekeeping. Vogue is a beautiful fantasy, not an awkward image in the grass in your back garden. This could have been infinitely better.

CLAN B
Photographer:
Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Kate Phelan
Hair: James Pecis
Make-Up: Hannah Murray
Models/Celebrities: Victoria, David, Brooklyn, Romeo, Cruz & Harper Beckham

Editor's Letter:

UK Vogue Digital Edition

BRAVE NEW WORLD
Photographer:
David Sims
Stylist: Venetia Scott
Hair: Duffy
Make-Up: Lucia Pieroni
Models: Adut Akech, Bruna Di, Jana Julius, Mad Manning, Hiandra Martinez, Fran Summers, Sara Grace Wallerstedt & Jiali Zhao

UK Vogue Digital Edition

I do prefer the black & white shots but I feel like this ed doesn’t have consistently, it’s almost like few different photoshoots combined, Some of the shots feel cold.

Maybe more of a concept would have worked better, so there was a sense of direction instead of just photos for a family photo album.

When seeing the Kate Moss x Nick Knight ed I can’t help but think that it would have worked as a cover story! It has some beautiful photos and so much energy in my opinion!

Also I feel like the colour combinations in terms of the Vogue logo and cover lines always seem to be really random and don’t compliment the cover! The orange on the black & white subscribers cover just makes no sense!

THE SHAPE OF THINGS TO COME
Photographer:
Karim Sadli
Stylist: Joe Mckenna
Hair: Damien Boissinot
Make-Up: Hiromi Ueda
Models: Jess Cole & Sarah Brown

UK Vogue Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members