Undercover Twins: Takahashi's Mirrored Moment

Astrid21

Reaction score
Originally posted by Fashion Wire Daily@ October 06, 2003 - Paris
Undercover Twins: Takahashi's Mirrored Moment

By Karl Treacy

Last October, Undercover designer Jun Takahashi wowed Paris with a hard-edged but meticulous and highly labor-intensive collection. Last season he swayed a bit with a dressing-up-dolly theme, but Monday evening his front row was still filled with fashion's heavy hitters as Takahashi sent out a clever, if slightly unsettling collection, based on twins.

Twins? Well, one good and one bad -- or at least one whose path through life has been a little more marked by hardships. With asymmetric hairstyles, leaden expressions and a monotonous gait, the couples bore a remarkable resemblance to that evil dead girl in the Japanese chiller "Ringu".

The presentation may have been vaguely disturbing but the clothes it delivered -- the one nice neat outfit, and the same outfit morphed and distressed beside it -- showed clothes that were simple and wearable when they were as intended, and dark and exciting when they were traumatized.

"Que Sera Sera," Doris Day belted out from the speakers as one girl wore a buttoned-up white shirt with simple black pants and braces, her twin's shirt buckled and sagged, the braces rippled, and pants peaked high. Satin appliqués on one top were sweet, but on its sister they slid and puddled off the fabric in streaks. You get the picture.

Takahashi is adept at skillful cutting and construction as was evidenced in a smocked top, or another in ruffled tiers of satin panels whose twin flowed long and languidly over a simple pair of jeans.

This wasn't all introspective, arty stuff though, as an ode to good taste featuring belted macs and rip-off Hermes Kelly's slung around the body provided a moment of comical lightness. And as models with huge blonde Afro wigs dashed out at the end in white t-shirts bearing peace-and-love messages, it was clear that Takahashi has a unique fashion voice worth paying attention to.

No pictures yet, but will post them if I find them. :flower: Or if anyone else finds them, please post.

Thank you. :heart:

Thank you, Astrid for the informative article. :flower: :heart:

It sounds very intresting! :woot: I'll search for photos!

I did not se ethsi tell just now, btu tahnks very much astrid :heart:

:heart: Undercover :heart:

I thought someone posted pictures on here? Any case,I believe Vogue Paris has a few pictures on there,no?

Still,I think Takahashi,is being thrusted into the spotlight all too soon especially being at such a premature stage in his career. I just think its dangerous on a young talent's career. What's more,his collections,albiet not horrible,looks more like his predocessors rather than himself.

Originally posted by Scott@Oct 21st, 2003 - 3:31 pm
I thought someone posted pictures on here? Any case,I believe Vogue Paris has a few pictures on there,no?

Still,I think Takahashi,is being thrusted into the spotlight all too soon especially being at such a premature stage in his career. I just think its dangerous on a young talent's career. What's more,his collections,albiet not horrible,looks more like his predocessors rather than himself.
yes there was already a set off photos, this is old iw as just thanking astrid for posting this for me.

Takashi has been around for a very very long time in japan and is quite suseccful with fashionable young japanies. I think what people do not understand alot about his clothes is that they are supos to be more street wear focused than say Yhoji or CDG. I really do nto at all think that his collections are to much like his predisesors and more than junya , i think he has a very individual and rebelious artistic vision :flower:

Takashi has been around for a very very long time in japan and is quite suseccful with fashionable young japanies

i had absolutely no idea, thanks spacemiu :flower:
btw, i liked -a lot- the concept but not the actual collection

I wonder where I have seen this??? :rolleyes:

100116281.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Originally posted by Lena@Oct 22nd, 2003 - 11:12 am
Takashi has been around for a very very long time in japan and is quite suseccful with fashionable young japanies

i had absolutely no idea, thanks spacemiu :flower:
btw, i liked -a lot- the concept but not the actual collection
no problem :wink:

I belive he also made shoes for CDG.

he is an original partner in nowhere, inc. with hiroshi fujiwara (neighborhood, goodenough, gravis, burton, htm, porter, etc.) and nigo (bathing ape). nigo produced his undercoverism line in the early 1990's sold in the now defunct nowhere instore shop at the bapexclusive store in aoyama (behind prada, around the corner from 10 corso como comme des garcons). his back catalog is mostly "streetwear" type stuff, but hand made. i am a big fan, although i agree that he tends toward a predictable aesthetic oftentimes...

this whole japan thing is just ONE incestuous (spelling?) lot patting each other's shoulder here and there isn't it?

surver said:
this whole japan thing is just ONE incestuous (spelling?) lot patting each other's shoulder here and there isn't it?

i thought it was the whole "fashion" thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorohodgson
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->