US Bazaar September 2005: cover and reviews

kimair

frozen
Reaction score
Even though we don't have the cover yet (it's demi moore), here's some scoop on the contents from wwd...as i recall, they've done this before...

Need to know a fashion designer’s birthday in a jiffy? Try dialing Kristina O’Neill, fashion features director at Harper’s Bazaar. She just wrapped up researching a well feature for Bazaar’s September issue with designers and models representing the 12 zodiac signs, all photographed by Karl Lagerfeld, who is a Virgo, by the way. “It was all Karl’s idea,” said O’Neill, explaining that the designer was intrigued by the preeminence of horoscopes in fashion magazines and the popularity of astrology among his designer peers. Stephen Gan, the magazine’s creative director, helped him conceive the story. Shooting in New York and Paris, Lagerfeld turned his lens on the likes of Donna Karan (Libra), Narciso Rodriguez (Aquarius), Roberto Cavalli (Scorpio), Michael Kors (Leo) and Tommy Hilfiger, the Aries owner of the Lagerfeld business. Donatella Versace faced a lot of competition for her sign: Taurus. “Curiously, there are a lot of Taurus designers,” O’Neill noted, rattling off the likes of Miucca Prada, Nicolas Ghesquière, Jean Paul Gaultier and Valentino. Perhaps not so curiously, key Taurus traits are determined and self-indulgent.

^ I'm psyched about this upcoming issue. I'm interested in how they showcase Moore, and the whole astrology thing is super cool to me. I'm such a sucker for that stuff. I don't FOLLOW it so to say, but I love reading about it. Fun stuff. :flower:

bazaar astrology

bazaar's astrologer is leigh oswald, imo a very philosophical and psychologically insightful mystic. since we often compare bazaar against vogue, I feel that vogue is remiss in not having a monthly horoscope. of course vogue's previous astrologer was athena starwoman, who passed away at the end of 2004 and vogue has yet to provide a new columnist. W, too, used to have an astrology page, but that also was eliminated about 2 years ago now.
if vogue is tendering suggestions for their new astrologer, Id like to recommend sally brompton, a protege of the late great patric walker. if youve been following fashion astrology closely, you remember that Walker looked at us each month from the pages of both us and uk vogue before his sad passing. his lessons live on in sally brompton and she is the natural choice for vogue's next astrologer.

more on the september bazaar, from the ny daily news:

PAGES: 480
COVER GIRL: Demi Moore, who reveals that she and Ashton like "sharing a bath with one another and watching Court TV. Snuggling up naked."
PROMISES: "983 new looks for you"
FASHION PRONOUNCEMENT: "It's all about capes & coats"
CLOTHES WE COVET: Bottega Veneta floral bag ($6,400)
HUH? "Sex and the City" is over. So are features on Candace Bushnell.
AND YOU'VE GOT TO SEE: Designers like Roberto Cavalli and Donna Karan pose for Karl Lagerfeld in a bizarre and campy astrology-inspired feature.

COVER GIRL:
Demi Moore, who reveals that she and Ashton like "sharing a bath with one another and watching Court TV. Snuggling up naked."

Too much information :yuk:

Here is cover off the website. I hope the subscribe cover is better

hp_sub_pic.jpg

i dont mind demi's quote........:ninja:

would like to see the cover bigger...
i'm not particularly a fan of hers....but it looks nice from what i can see....

:smile:

not a fan of demi moore at all, but from that little picture, i think it actually looks quite good... more relaxed.

cover: demi moore in lanvin by alexi lumbomirski

eds:
prada 2 pg.
saks 2 pg. (azzaro/bianca balti)
dior 2 pg.
giorgio armani 2 pg.
gucci 2 pg.
vuitton 2 pg.
dolce & gabbana 2 pg.
givenchy 2 pg.
chanel 2 pg.
bottega veneta 2 pg.
calvin klein 4 pg.
max mara 2 pg.
chloe 2 pg.
oscar de la renta 2 pg.
hermes 3 pg.
cover girl 1 pg. (christie brinkley)
tods 2 pg.
valentino 2 pg. (doutzen, lily donaldson)
burberry 2 pg.
roberto cavalli 2 pg.
jones ny collection 2 pg.
ebel 1 pg.
bcbg 2 pg.
blumarine 2 pg.
harry winston 1 pg.
ralph lauren 4 pg. (valentina)
salvatore ferragamo 4 pg.
marc jacobs 2 pg.
iceberg 2 pg. (eva h.)
ports 1961 2 pg.
miu miu 2 pg.
jil sander 2 pg.
jimmy choo 2 pg.
dior makeup 1 pg. (lily donaldson)
carolina herrera 4 pg.
fendi 4 pg.
versace 5 pg.
viva glam v 1 pg. (chloe sevigny)
etro 12 pg. insert (polina k.)
gloria vanderbilt 2 pg.
dkny 1 pg.
kenneth cole 2 pg.
alessandro dell'acqua 4 pg.
piazza sempione 1 pg. (tasha tilberg)
ermanno scervino 1 pg. (cameron)
gf ferre 12 pg.
elie tahari 1 pg.
diesel 1 pg.
lanvin 2 pg.
gucci handbags 1 pg.
damiani jewelry 1 pg. (gwyneth paltrow)
missoni 4 pg.
tse 4 pg.
rena lange 1 pg. (mini andren)
longchamp 1 pg.
cesare paciotti 5 pg.
ungaro 1 pg.
nicole miller 4 pg.
strenesse 1 pg.
baby phat 4 pg.
via spiga 2 pg.
issey miyake 1 pg.
donna karan 3 pg.
ck calvin klein 1 pg.
ysl 1 pg.

eds:
"demi's next act" by alexi lumbomirski. a fairly boring celebrity ed, with demi in mcqueen, ysl resort, nina ricci, viktor and rolf, lanvin and of course versace.

"it's all about capes and coats" by solve sundsbo, styled by anatassia barberi. carmen kass in iceland surrounded by white horses. the coats are lovely, and carmen is a star, but these shots just fall flat. very disappointing.

"what to wear now" by alexi lumbomirski, styled by ana steiner. inguna in the elements of the perfect wardrobe. shot high in the l.a. hills, this ed again is just there. nothing terribly exciting about it.

"the season's most romantic pieces" by mario sorrenti, styled by melanie ward. doutzen looking dreamy and romantic in high collars, chiffons and voluminous sleeves. one of my favorite eds in the book. she wears:

jean paul gaultier, dior
00450m.jpg
00550m.jpg

ysl, chloe
00450m.jpg
00270m.jpg

roberto cavalli, donna karan
00630m.jpg
00390m.jpg

"metallic moment" by solve sundsbo. raquel zimmerman shows off the hottest fall accessories.

"it's all in the stars" by karl lagerfeld, styled by l'wren scott. karl captures 12 designers with same sign models:

virgo: lagerfeld with natasa v., and solange
libra: donna karan with zuzana
scorpio: roberto cavalli with vivien solari
sagittarius: tara subkoff with brandi
capricorn: diane von furstenberg with ilona
aquarius: narciso rodriguez with adrijana
pisces: eva herzigova with anne catherine lacroix
aries: tommy hilfiger with caroline winberg
taurus: donatella versace with kim noorda
gemini: alber elbaz with the detroisien twins
cancer: lazaro hernandez of proenza schouler with polina
leo: michael kors with marina peres

"all you need for fall" by alexi lumbomirski, styled by jenny capitain. heather marks on the british countryside. a better interpretation of the karen elson ed from vogue.

part 2 below...

Last edited by a moderator:
"what's new" by terry tsiolis, styled by brana wolf. designers are showing their dark side for fall, and daria is showing off the best of the best. my favorite ed of the book. she wears pieces by:

vuitton, lanvin
00090m.jpg
00140m.jpg

balenciaga, john galliano
00040m.jpg
00020m.jpg

versace, prada
00020m.jpg
00470m.jpg

rochas (with a black jacket), ysl
00030m.jpg
00010m.jpg

marc jacobs, dior
00160m.jpg
00470m.jpg

"the unsimple life" by karl lagerfeld, styled by l'wren scott. profile of nicole ritchie. nicole ritchie by karl lagerfeld?? i don't know...she already was profiled in teen vogue; this piece seems more suited for that. although the photos are more grown up, this ed seems out of place.

"the best trench coats" by peter lindbergh. carolyn murphy continues her resurgence with an ed here. too bad she looks alot like amber (and amber could have probably done a much better job)

"camilla in bloom: the best of british" by allison jackson. jackson, known for her images of celebrity look alikes, uses camilla parker bowles as muse here for shots. don't see the point of this really...

also:

"how much will it cost to look good this season?" by anthony ward. ward's favorite model anja is back in this story about mixing high and low. an ok ed that would have fared better if it were earlier in the book.

"meet gucci's new designer" by alice hawkins. profile of frida giannini.

"candace bushnell on top" by francois dischinger. a profile with the writer on the eve of the release of her new book.

"an artist of the floating world" by ben watts. profile of alber elbaz of lanvin.

"on the set with audrey" excerpts from henry wolf 1925-2005 photography exhibit. these shots feature audrey hepburn from a 1959 pictorial.

"how to wear it guide: the rules for wearing black, dresses, blouses, coats, knits, trousers and boots"

"the ultimate shopping guide" charlize theron, karolina kurkova, jacquetta wheeler, jane lauder, maria buccellati and naomi watts pick what they're buying this season

denim flash: hot lines to know, including prada denim, shagg, bcbg and odyn

celine's new designer ivana omazic

fabulous at every age: making the trends work for you

"a fashionable life: gwen stefani" gwen shows off her closet and talks about what she's getting for f/w, and her l.a.m.b. collection

verdict: my problem with bazaar is that it is part vogue, part marie claire, and part us weekly. some of the eds are wonderful (doutzen, daria, heather marks), some are horrible (carmen, inguna) and the titles seem to all sound the same. a very disappointing issue for a september issue...i could have seen this stuff in an august or october issue. 2 out of 5 stars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got the issue. It's okay. Some good eds and bad ones just like Kimair said. The Daria ed is great. Demi looks sort of puffy in some photos. Oh well, now just waiting patiently for Vogue.... :innocent:

I thought it was a good issue overall, but not as impressive as some past Fall Fashion issues. I was a bit surprised, the astrology story is every bit as lame as reviewed. Looked to me like neither the stylist nor the photographer apparently knows much about astrology ... And I am so over Candace Bushnell (OK, I always have been).

I thought the Chanel subscriber cover was an improvement over newsstand.

What did you guys think of the $10K "budget" story? Did your heart bleed like mine did that she couldn't have everything she wanted? ^_^

again, GREAT review, kimair!!!
thanks a lot, keep it up. i always enjoy reading your posts.

Thumb down for Bazaar Sept.

The Sept. issue of Bazaar really left me cold. The best picture features the Lanvin designer holding an umbrella atop a lake tinted in light turquoise. The cover and all the edits were pretty uninspiring.

First off, Demi Moore doesn't wear clothes well, and anyone who's seen the Versace campaign can attest to that. All that Chanel couture, McQueen, feathery Lanvin, Viktor & Rolf, and a stunning YSL resort gown were a total waste.

I thought Alexi Lumbomirski was an A-list in the making, but his edit with Inguana shows that he has yet to master the fake-tan look. It was a bad imitation of a bad Testino look. His opening shot of Heather Marks in the country yard edit is beautiful, but an obvious imitation of Testino's "Proper English" edit with Daria from Vogue last year no less.

Mario Sorrenti is the biggest thing that Bazaar has going for, and I really liked how he captured the light here. But the athletic Doutzen is not someone whom I'd choose for a decidedly romantic shoot. Julia Stegner or Cameron Russell or Nataliya Gotsli would've been breathtaking.

Carmen Kass is so over. Her face's always been angular, and now that she's so emaciated, her cheekbones could cut ice. The stylist took some creative risks that didn't quite pay off.

Carolyn Murphy is also really over, but she looks better than usual in the Lindberg edit. Unexciting, but visually pleasing.

The horoscope story by Karl Lagerfeld is quite kitshy. But I enjoyed it more than the Meisel-lensed "The Magnificent Seven" in US Vogue.

The Camilla story is a total headscratcher. Or laughing stock.

I decided to keep none of the editorials. Grade: D

i generally like harper's bazaar more than vogue, but i wasnt crazy about this particular issue. it certainly wasnt as bad as the august issue of vogue though :yuk:

i liked a few of the editorials: "what to wear now," "this season's most romantic pieces" and "all you need for fall" and i enjoyed being able to see a few more of the cesare paciotti ads with isabeli fontana and the etro ads with polina...but thats really about it :neutral:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->