US Elle May 2019 : Dua Lipa by Carin Backoff

I love Dua but not this cover, I really don't like that thing on her head.. I don't think it fits with her style.
I guess this might not the newsstands cover though considering it has nothing written?

Dua kinda represents that idea of fun! The idea of a couture swimsuit is fun...
But this cover is not fun at all. A fail

It had all the makings for a stellar cover on paper - Carin Backoff, Due Lipa, who we all know is very photogenic, so I'm not sure how they've mucked this up.
And can we stop with this Chanel swimsuit? It's very difficult to get right due to the kitschiness. That headpiece is too much.

Saw Dua Lipa in the title and got excited. Now I am so disappointed. I think she saved this cover from being worse.

Dua PHOTOGRAPHS well, sad that Nina wasn’t able to produce that! Terrible styling. Terrible execution. What an utter waste

The actual cover with texts are on Dua’s Instagram page

She always have such a fun and stylish vibe. They definitely didn't get that...
I got excited too, when I saw her name, but it's really nothing special:neutral:

Never understand the Dua Lipa hype and I've yet to be convinced she can photograph well, or is even worthy of appearing on fashion magazines as such. She has the same vacant expression in both cover images and I do not appreciate Carin Backoff's style of photography, at all.

This is pretty major for her! Sadly the cover itself is not so exciting, her British Vogue one was much better.

Carin Backoff needs to back off from photography.

No, no. Normally she's rather good, actually. Especially on location. Maybe it's the styling, or Dua Lipa, or Gan's decision to shoot this in studio.

Got this in the mail today, 214 pages.

Review:

"Dua"
P: Carin Backoff
S: Anna Trevelyan

"Next Wave Beauty"
P: Steven Pan
Makeup: Violette
S:Katie Mossman
M: Ugbad Abdi, Amira Pinheiro, Tehya Elam, Tia Jonsson, Lily Yeung, Joani Johnson, Juliet Soane, Diandra Forrest, TJ, Tsunaina

"Paint the Town"
P: Christian Ferretti
S: ?
Makeup: Yuki Hayashi
M: Selena Johnson, Briggs Rudder

"Hollywood Rising"
P: Terrence Connors
S: Charles Varenne
Adria Arjona, Ella Balinska, Lovie Simone, Kirby Howell-Baptiste, Jessie Buckley, Hunter Schafer

Also: Richard Madden, Rosalia, Billie Eilish, Carmen Maria Machado, Amy Poehler

Dua

Photographer: Carin Backoff
Stylist: Anne Trevelyan
Hair: Anne Cofone
Makeup: Francesca Angelina Brazzo
Manicure: Michelle Humphrey
Cast: Dua Lipa

US Elle Digital Edition

Next Wave Beauty

Photographer: Steven Pan
Stylist: Katie Mossman
Hair: Hiro + Mari
Makeup: Violette
Manicure: Amy Vega
Cast: Ugbad Abdi, Amira Pinheiro, Tehya Elam, Tia Jonsson, Lily Yeung, Joani Johnson, Juliet Soane, Diandra Forrest, TJ, Tsunaina

US Elle Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lovetolove
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->