US Vogue December 1958 : Anne St. Marie by William Bell

Oh yes, in fact theirs was the greatest creative relationship in Fashion history, not just Bazaar's. Dahl-Wolfe, I think, was one of the first photographers to really develop, and produce color photographs using natural light, particularly her amazing outdoor shoots, which she especially did often with Vreeland. Shooting outside was basically their signature, at the time when it wasn't so common. She did so many great Bazaar covers. At one point they did a famous editorial, shoot in Arizona desert, when a model suddenly fell ill, so Dahl-Wolfe convinces Vreeland to step in, and actually model herself. :lol: She refused at first, but it was clear they had no other option, and the ed is glorious. Amazing backdrops, and Vreeland looking great.
I saw that...iconic!

Speaking of Vreeland for Bazaar, is there a chance you will provide us some content of hers from her Tenure :P:crush::brows:?
I would love to but sadly, Bazaar doesn't have an online archive. At least not yet!

^ They seriosuly need to make the archive!! I doubt Hearst has the money of Conde to get it up and running, but it would be epic, because Bazaar was a far better magazine at that time.
Great point! It would be very costly to create and not even talking about the prep work pulling it all together. But I\it would be amazing and def worth the money alone for the Vreeland years.

Zefran
Photo Richard Avedon
Model Anne St. Marie

Jasmine by Ritter Original
Photo Virginia Thoren
Model Unknown

vogue archive

Last edited:
Emeric Partos for Bergdorf Goodman
Photo Alphonso Sharland
Model Unknown

Saks Fifth Avenue