US Vogue January 2021 : The 'Vogue Values' of 2021 by Annie Leibovitz

Not a fan of Paloma, but man what a cover. And sexy to boot. I looked through her edit on Vogue.com and it bolsters the cover as well. Must say this is the first time in print Paloma has done anything to me. Curious to see the last cover.

Eeek Annie made Paloma look like a corpse. Reminds me of Rihanna’s cover way back except this is the ozark version. When it comes to POC Annie just doesn’t get it right like that horrendous Simone biles coloring.

Love the cover with Paloma, although I doubt it's gonna be on sale anywhere. Last January, only Stella's cover appeared on the newsstands.

As for the discussion about values here, USD is the only Vogue value. Let us not lie ourselves believing Vogue and CN suits (or any suits) care about ecology, human rights, freedom, etc. They will support and promote anyone or anything that brings in the cash and visibility. Their sudden care about sustainability or diversity emerged only when it became part of the wider culture.

Social media is full of women of all shapes and sizes dressing up, dressing down, dressing expensively – dressing for all occasions, for all situations.

But never mind that, Vogue is finally here to validate your existence by… putting you in the fashion equivalent of a wet T-shirt, just in case you hadn’t had your lifetime’s fill of being reduced down to your body, reduced to a sexual silhouette rather than a sartorial one. Never mind those dreams you had of appearing in Vogue and looking as impeccably dressed or impossibly glamorous as the thousands of editorials produced with standard-sized fashion models – no, this is your moment to get your t*tties on display and call it a triumph because it’s… the only thing fashion magazines will do with you.

CAN WE JUST HAVE LARGER PEOPLE APPEARING IN ACTUAL FASHION FOR ONCE. You know, dressed, and on the same level as you’d see with standard models.

Fashion magazines and their constant lazy treatment of anyone above a certain size offends me because what they tend to do is amp up the sexual side, then sit back and expect applause for featuring them at all.

If Vogue wants to contribute to this conversation, what is missing is the respect of being seen as stylish.

When that starts happening - and maybe it's happening with the other images of Paloma in this issue - then I'll be impressed.

I mean I understand the sentiment that Plus-sized models are often reduced to either being a Jessica Rabbit or basic, at times even, non-existent styling. But at the same time, I’ve also seen arguments around here that criticize how fashion has gotten so sterile these days and nude shoots—even a suggestive one—are rarely found. I remember coming across a comment on a GQ thread that addresses a dissatisfaction of how women in men’s magazines aren’t allowed to appear unabashedly sensual—not the exact words, but the point still stands—like they used to anymore. It’s a double-edged sword, isn’t it?

Well anyway, Paloma’s is my favorite out of the three. I don’t find her remarkable as a model, but everything falls into place here. Arguably Leibovitz’s best work in a long time.

How dare you show a plus-size model nipple on the cover? Stop sexualized them up.

Why plus-size models always cover up in layers of fabrics? They can show their skin you know. They can have fun.

Well it's a lose-lose situation for everybody involved anyway.

^It's not, and I hear you but I agree with Ken Doll Jenner. It's simply a double-edged sword. The last time Rebel Wilson appeared on Vogue Australia, Phuel complained that she was too modestly dressed and they were hiding her figure. Adele and Jennifer Hudson's covers also drew critics who complained they were mere closeups that took the focus away from their body shape despite Adele's UK cover specifically being a beauty one which someone like Lara Stone or Vodianova would do on the regular for the magazine. I believe Ashley and Paloma appeared on Vogue Arabia and that was a fairly decent approach. Maybe I don't see this cover as particularly sexualising Paloma because her shape, because a decade or so ago Angelina Jolie appeared in a similar setup and she was NEVER curvy. In fact I think Gabriella KJ took cues from that cover. As a fuller figured woman herself, it would be utterly macabre of her to purposely reinforce the very stereotypes she too must fight against.

I do think fuller figure women are sexualised far more in pop culture right now and I can't even pinpoint when it started, I just know it wasn't always the case. Or rather, not this crude. There was a sense of style about Sophie Dahl's work. You should just see the number of thirst comments men across the globe leave on someone like Ashley Graham or Tess Holliday's IG. And these men don't even bother hiding their profiles.

^But how should Karla Martinez and the guy from Vogue Arabia feel. LOL. She appeared on their covers first.
The clip is cute though! Some will think it's a bit much but we have to realise that a US Vogue cover, especially an OG one, is the benchmark in Paloma's industry,

I'm fine with Rosalia, don't really know or care for her and even if hers is the worst there are still 3 absolutely stunning ones.

^But how should Karla Martinez and the guy from Vogue Arabia

The shade lol...but i get your point, hope they didn’t get offended, fashion people are sensitive on their egos.

I hope I get Paloma’s cover in the mail, but if not I’ll definitely be buying it, I absolutely love it. I almost started crying seeing that video. As much as I love Frances’ and Naomi’s covers, it’s clear this means so much to Paloma and she’s been featured in Vogue several times, to now get a stunning solo cover is truly a moment.

Honestly the Lizzo cover wasn’t that long ago I don’t remember her being sex up
People can find all the angels to complain these days about anything
Paloma seems quite happy about the chance to appear on the cover she doesn’t seem to be offended why is it a problem

Honestly the Lizzo cover wasn’t that long ago I don’t remember her being sex up
People can find all the angels to complain these days about anything
Paloma seems quite happy about the chance to appear on the cover she doesn’t seem to be offended why is it a problem

Valid point, I think for me my personal problem is that I don't find any qualities about her that scream high fashion, but the standards have changed for Vogue so I know at this point I can't expect a solo cover from the likes of Candice Huffine or Ashley Graham (especially Ashley, who has brought high fashion and is so deserving of a Vogue US solo cover than Paloma).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cstmbres
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->