Vanity Fair Controversy: Did the magazine lighten Beyonce's skin?

phantasmagoric

Reaction score
According to a source spilling to Radar Magazine, Vanity Fair digitally altered Beyonce's image to appear several shades lighter for this month's Vanity Fair cover. The pop diva is the first African-American woman to appear on the cover since Tina Turner in 1993 reports Radar Magazine.
"Everything on the cover is bright, including the white background, to make it seem as white as can be," says the source, who claims that the pop diva's medium-dark complexion was airbrushed to a "Jennifer Lopez shade of bronze" to fit in with the magazine's new aesthetic.

"All the photos of Beyonce had been made so white that Jay-Z literally looked like Alek Wek standing next to her, so then he had to be lightened up, too," says the source

beyonce-on-vf-cover.jpg

Has anyone seen this issue?

No I haven't seen it in person, but she looks the same as I've always seen her on the cover in the picture :unsure:

If you're trying to make someone with dark skin appear lighter, wouldn't white be the worst possible background color? :huh:

I don't kknow what their intentions are , but alot of magazines make things really light and bright, regardless of skin colour.

PrinceOfCats said:
Don't magazines often photoshop images? :huh:
I think they do it practically all the time - and I agree with Spacemiu, most make their images really bright regardless of skin colour :unsure:

I don't think anyone who has posted yet is of any African descent, but it is a big deal in the African American community. She is 'light skinned' anyway, and if anyone thought that the skin lightening was of Beyonces' conscent, she would catch even more flack than usual, especially from black women.

I am a light-skinned Caucasian, and got all kinds of crap growing up for it. I used to wish I were black, figuring that people of color have enough problems that they have better things to do than give each other crap about their skintone. Imagine my surprise when I found out it's an even bigger issue for them :huh:

We all need to lighten up on each other--no pun intended :D :P :lol: B)

PS It could well be that they were compensating for the effect of the white background. She looks to me much the same as she always does ...

In Asian magazines/ads they often airbrush the skin until it's white (like printer paper, FFFFFF white)...it's not that uncommon. Besides the magazines also photoshop actresses to be 'whiter' or more tan depending on the article. Beyonce doesn't look different on that cover...

No, she's always been that light-skinned as long as I can remember.

The pop diva is the first African-American woman to appear on the cover since Tina Turner in 1993 reports Radar Magazine.

Wow, now that's shocking:shock: Go Beyonce!

Beyonce looks as hot as always, the cover would have been photoshopped but maybe just to give her an even complexion

Curious said:
No I haven't seen it in person, but she looks the same as I've always seen her on the cover in the picture :unsure:

I have to say the same...

beyonce always looks lighter in all her professional shoots. but i think on tv when performing or in candid shots, she looks significantly darker. i mean not by a huge amount but you can definitely tell and jay-z has always been a lot darker than her anyway.

I don't really see that much difference in this cover and her others.... :unsure:

Her skin looks the same as it always does in photos, but if anything's making her look lighter it's the hair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
molly07
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->