• The Red Carpet Highlights of... The 77th Annual Cannes Film Festival 2024!

• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Vexel and Vector Art

__neversummer

Reaction score
Has anyone else gotten into this. It's a digital form of art that people do in illustrator or photoshop. It's hard to explain so I'll just link you to a good site about them : http://vexels.net I've tried to do some of my own, and they're difficult which just gives me more respect for the people who can do them well.

ooh I remember I tried to do a vector like 3 years ago...but agreed...its pretty hard..if done well it can look amazing though

You can do a LOT of that in Photoshop. People are surprised to learn how vector based Photoshop is. Nice link.

fourboltmain said:
You can do a LOT of that in Photoshop. People are surprised to learn how vector based Photoshop is. Nice link.

what does "vector based photoshop" means? for my understanding photoshop
is pixel based not vector.

Yeah a vector can really only be shown in flash. Once it's turned into like a .jpg or a pixel based file it's no longer a vector. This is technically speaking though. The terms are pretty interchangable.

Well, things like the pen tool, the magic wand, etc use vector input, it's just manipulated to fall within the squares for pixels. When you start getting into clipping paths and work paths, etc; you get into being able to open and save PDF and EPS with an that vector info still in it. My favorite shortcut is using the pen tool to trace and then exporting different paths to Illustrator. Way faster than tracing something with a mouse.

Here's an example of how to use the vector tools in Photoshop:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38583465/

^ Any of those paths created can be exported out to Illustrator. Yes, your final image is still pixels, but the info underneath is vector.

interesting stuff...
i like understanding more about how some of these things work...
haven't tried it myself...
don't have the programs/tools....

Aah these vexels take literally hours to do.
I've tried before and it takes absolutely ages!
Here is one of my favorites:
3032.jpg

By Turp, Shaz at vexels.net

There are shortcuts to doing these such as {the latest version of} Illustrator's LIVE TRACE option, which can convert any bitmap image into vector instantly & will at least give you a base to work with.

Also, you can draw the image yourself by hand, scan it, then convert it by using the method just mentioned. This can look very very cool (and saves you from that wretched pen tool!).

I must admit though, I really dislike when vector imagery poses as realistic. I prefer it for abstract shapes and designs or for the look of a children's book illustration.

Fabulyss said:
There are shortcuts to doing these such as {the latest version of} Illustrator's LIVE TRACE option...
CorelDraw has THE baddest tracing tool. Try it out, they've had it for years now I think.

Yeah corel trace is pretty good! I got all the CorelDRAW software from my school for free and its really good for vector stuff but i still cant make it look as good as the ones on Vexels... Actually it just inspired me to give it another shot!

Most of the Live Trace things look obvious when someone uses it. Its best to just do it on your own and learn because most people who have been doing vectors for years will more than likely notice it :flower:

I love the look of a vexel that's done well, but it does take sooooo many painstaking hours, I've never had the patience to try it properly. I mainly stick to less realistic versions on illustrator, either that or photography!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SnakePlissken
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->