Vintage Model ID thread

I see Yasmin Le Bon in center. Who is another three models?

s-l1600.jpg

ebay.com

The following is part of a 15 page Mimmina ad campaign (Vogue Italia March 1984) - does anyone know who she is?

pg2.jpg pg3.jpg pg4.jpgpg5.jpg pg6.jpg pg7.jpg

Here are two more I'm wondering about - the first from the same Vogue Italia March 1984 issue in the previous post, the second from Vogue Italia January 2003 but I know I'd seen this in a U.S. magazine also...

mar84.jpgjan03.jpg

The second model is Kamila Szczawinska. She's got a thread.

Success! That's pretty cool. I figured I'd throw that easy softball out there so someone could hit it out of the park - only fifteen years ago.

I was reading a few threads before I joined and was amazed how people seem to know who so many of the models are. Especially when the same model can look so differently from one photo to another. A good example is right from the Mimmina ad a few posts back - I was desperately looking for photo #5 but instead first came across photo #1 separately in Vogue Paris about a week earlier and had no idea that I was looking at the same model.

The photo you ID'd - that may have been the very last one that I collected before I got rid of them all. As I am recollecting them now, I see that almost all of them were from 1984-1990, with just a few stragglers after that. And one of the stragglers just happens to be that photo from Elle U.S. that I'm looking for.

Hey, let me ask you a question. Would it be against tFS rules to offer a small reward to anyone who might have that photo?

I feel your pain. My ex-husband threw out the vast majority of my 90s magazine collection a couple years ago but luckily I had enough foresight to tote away some of the more rare, hard to find issues.

As far as the monetary reward, I'd contact the forum mods with that one.

Although I think gratitude would be reward enough ^_^

Did he throw them out by mistake or did he know you still wanted them?

I decided to go ahead and book a same-day round-trip to LA for October 23rd ($137).

If I get lucky and find the photo quickly, I'll have a few hours to do or see something else while I'm there (never been there before).

A few more that I am hoping that someone can identify:

From Vogue Italia February 1987

feb87.jpg

From Elle Portugal July 2002

bracelets3-15.jpg

From Aristocrazy fashion show in Madrid February 2012 (vogue.es)

b884fdb55741ef5af95c53a6e63d4bf9.jpg

Maybe someone know this model?
Glamour Italy March 2001
Scanned by Sanja

2001.JPG

Can anyone confirm or correct my thoughts below?...

In the magazines themselves...
For the fashion editorials the model is not listed.
For advertisements the model is not listed.
So, the only way to identify a model is simply to recognize them - or read a credible attribution by someone else.

But, here's my big question: I have a couple of photos from 1984 and 1987 ads where I'm trying to identify the model. Does anyone have any practical advice on how to do this?

Is there anything I can do besides:
1) Post online and hope someone recognizes (already done)
2) E-mail the photographer directly (have actually done this and got four photos from 1984 identified this way!). But, just today got a fail from the one other 1984 photo.
3) Contact the designer or company (not expecting success but e-mailed Mila Schon today about the 1984 photo, the 1987 photo is from Callaghan but they no longer exist)
4) Contact the magazines themselves (haven't done this) - would they even have this information anywhere if I could even get in touch with the right person?

Thoughts?

I've sometimes seen the model's name listed in editorials ( sometimes it's buried in a caption and sometimes only a first name); and if the model is a superstar you may see her named on the page. I have some vintage 70s magazine where they do a whole feature about a model and give her name on each page like a US Vogue issue about Lauren Hutton.
I've found some 'round-ups' where they get beauty tips from the models and each model is named. Some of the old Cosmopolitans use to do that frequently.
I've never seen advertisements name a model unless it's one of their star models, like a CoverGirl Makeup ad saying, ' our model Christie is wearing...'. Or the Revlon 'Most Beautiful' ads with the models named in each ad.

I've never known how to id models.
Bellazon.com can be a good resource but you have to go hunting.
You can also try a google image search where you load the image itself to see if you can find a match, but that's not always successful.
And sometimes a magazine will do an expose about the modeling industry and you may find info that way also.
Otherwise old model agency books can help ( Ford, Elite, Zoli, Wilhelmina, etc). I've seen those books on eBay but they're very pricey.

The old model agency books are something I never would have been aware of. I think a bridge too far to go there though as even if I could find and was willing to pay the price, I have no idea which agency the models I'm looking for would have been in. And all for just the names.

As it is, of the photos I currently have there are only two where I don't know the model. I e-mailed one photographer last week but he couldn't remember the models name and the other (Javier Vallhonrat) is hiding from me (I can't find his e-mail).

But, the best were the following e-mail reply and exchange (related to #397 in this thread) in which I got an ID for one model who is going to be in three photos in my final collection:

Renato Grignaschi: The name of the model is: Micheline Vandevelde from Belgium.
Me: Did you immediately recognize the photos that I had sent last time? (I wrote a lot more than that, just giving the gist here)
Renato: It was very easy to recognize Micheline, she was my dear friend. (He said a few other things, such as "The only thing I remember the majority of them were wonderful girls.")

Renato shot a lot of Vogue Italia covers in the early '80s.

From #403 above (first photo), while I thought I hadn't found photographer Javier Vallhonrat's correct e-mail, I then realized that I had after all (I mistakenly thought there were TWO Javier Vallhonrat's) but having not gotten a reply since my October 19th e-mail, I was prepared to officially mark this photo as "unknown2" until receiving a reply from Javier just now:

"I think her name was Anna Stark. I hope that helps." I could literally find only one link to her online, under "The Model Archives of Marlowe Press". There are two photos of her from 1989 when she was with the Ice Agency (New York) - it looks like it could be her...

Awhile back I also identified from #403 above (third photo) as being Joana Sanz - found a related backstage photo from the same fashion show that identified her in a caption. Basically a needle in a haystack.

But the big thing is getting these two IDs from the photographers themselves - I'm thinking that was literally the only way I'd ever have identified these models.

Maybe someone know this model?Gioia 2000
Scanned by Sanja

z.JPG

# 393
In Grazia magazine 2001 (Scanned by Sanja) model Jada Bowen

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alcatrazadam
Back