Vogue Czechoslovakia Coming August 2018

Hope Eva is in the first cover. :heart:

Why? They all look the same anyway. I don't see how Czech Republic or any other european country no one ever heard of deserves its own edition of Vogue before any african country. There sure is culture and some historical background (although quite boring honestly) to be explored through these editions but we all know that it's not gonna happen. Instead we'll get another round of tumblr aesthetic, sweatpants, unflattering, baggy, cheap looking garments with stripes on the sides and models that don't have a single quality of a model trying to be artsy and cool but coming out rather embarrassing. :sick:

Is there any country in Africa that is more developed than the Czech Republic?

Is there any country in Africa that is more developed than the Czech Republic?

As mentioned above, both Nigeria and South Africa are more developed than the Czech Republic judging by GDP. Anyway, I don't really understand much about economy and country development, I just believe SA is developed enough to carry it's own edition of Vogue and I also believe it would make more interesting content than another tumblr/instagram inspired artsy european one.

Last edited:
Anyway, I don't really understand much about economy and country development.

It shows. GDP per capita in Nigeria is 2,177 USD and 5,273 USD in South Africa, while the number is 18,266 USD in Czech Republic. Your whole point in this case is invalid. I don't know where you get this whole "both Nigeria and South Africa are more developed than the Czech Republic" thing.

The most important question whether a country ‘deserves’ its own Vogue is if the international luxury market has a big presence there and if it makes sense for all the big brands to advertise. Only then does it make sense to have your own Vogue.

Take for example Dutch Vogue. Holland has always been an developed country. But the luxury market was quite small with only a couple of big brands having a presence in Holland. So a Dutch Vogue was never viable. I read somewhere right before the launch that a Dutch Vogue only became viable after the fact that one of the biggest department stores (de Bijenkorf) started to primarily focus more on the high end luxury market. Meaning all the big brands had (and still have) more of an incentive now to spend money on advertisements.

Was there ever a Vogue Argentina? I had no idea we had one, but now as an adult I wish we did. Because Vogue Latam is just not right here, especially when you consider we don't even have the same seasons as the northern part of SA. I wish there was a Vogue for Chile, Argentina and Uruguay. It's laughable that we get the winter edition in December when we're under 40°C here, if anything VB is better fitted for us but there's the language with that one

In the year 2001, Chile and Argentina Vogue existed for a moment ..

Well I'm quite excited for KK that she'll be on the first cover. This brings her to 44 Vogue covers, I think? And it must be an incredible moment for her to be on the first cover of her own country's Vogue.

These videos and previews doesn't evoke any form of excitement in me, I'm afraid.

It's so funny that you have 3 "new" Vogues (PT, Ua and now CS) in Europe, from countries with a completely different background, social dynamic and "style" looking exactly the same. It's just...funny. It's brainless capitalism at its best, actually. It's all about the money, all about following trends, all about favoring big brands. Zero artistic direction. It's Elle disguised as i-D. It's a boat going along the river with no one in it.
Also, this explains the Vogue Portugal staff trip to Condé Nast... it wasn't about Vogue PT, it was about Vogue CS. -_- Well, I couldn't care less about this. The only Vogue I slightly look for (among this new batch) is Vogue Poland. It's the only one that is slightly different. Their website even has a "Discover PL" where they create English content showcasing Polish talent. Love that.
If we are entering this age of artistic conformity and homogeneity, why not have a Vogue Europe with content translated to each country? At least everyone would be on that same boat. :magic:

I believe in the videos they were trying to channel the style of the Czech New Wave, an influential film movement from the 1960s, but they failed miserably. It's logical to go back to that era because the 60s are a strong symbol of Czech(oslovak) cultural boom, but everything that has been released around the first issue so far seems empty, superficial and looks almost like a caricature.

I still think that if they focus on editorial content in the first issue (and the next ones), the edition can be a success and have a strong voice. Despite what some users here believe, the Czech cultural heritage is a massive one not only in arts, but also in fashion, design and architecture and the scenes are vivid even today, so there is definitely a lot to cover.

What I am afraid of, knowing how Elle and other mags from where the Vogue CS people were recruited looked like, is that the editorial content will slide to promoting friends and pseudo-celebrities, local "influencers" and will only serve to the self-proclaimed fashion elite, which here comprises mostly of idiots and illiterates.

Seems like Karolina will be their first cover model photographed in Slovakia at least according to this post.

I believe in the videos they were trying to channel the style of the Czech New Wave, an influential film movement from the 1960s, but they failed miserably. It's logical to go back to that era because the 60s are a strong symbol of Czech(oslovak) cultural boom, but everything that has been released around the first issue so far seems empty, superficial and looks almost like a caricature.

I still think that if they focus on editorial content in the first issue (and the next ones), the edition can be a success and have a strong voice. Despite what some users here believe, the Czech cultural heritage is a massive one not only in arts, but also in fashion, design and architecture and the scenes are vivid even today, so there is definitely a lot to cover.

What I am afraid of, knowing how Elle and other mags from where the Vogue CS people were recruited looked like, is that the editorial content will slide to promoting friends and pseudo-celebrities, local "influencers" and will only serve to the self-proclaimed fashion elite, which here comprises mostly of idiots and illiterates.

I think you are right, they were trying to channel the 60s. I read somewhere that they are paying homage to the 60s and the first republic with the name as those were the golden days of Czechoslovakia. Royal-Galliano had also mentioned that earlier in the thread. I also read there will be contributors from both countries so I wonder if the magazine will be only in Czech or if they will publish some articles by Slovak authors in their own language.

I'm not very thrilled about the stuff coming from Czech Elle as this magazine is not really my cup of tea. I bought few issues around 2009/2010 but stopped because it was a waste of money. Lol about the idiots and illiterates, I know one guy who works for them and the definition suits him.

I'm all for Nigeria or South Africa getting their own title, it would be nice to have an African Vogue. I'm surprised there is no Vogue in one of the Scandinavian countries considering there has been such a Vogue boom in Europe in the last couple of years.

I'm all for Nigeria or South Africa getting their own title, it would be nice to have an African Vogue. I'm surprised there is no Vogue in one of the Scandinavian countries considering there has been such a Vogue boom in Europe in the last couple of years.
I have a few Scandinavian friends and I have to say that I don't know how they would translate their lifestyle into Vogue. Everyone I know is very uniform oriented with a heavy focus on minimalism. Very Celine by Philo or Yohji. I know mostly Norwegian and Swedish women and I don't even remember seeing them wearing prints or colorful outfits. Maybe it's a coincidence but they all praise quality over anything else. They are also very aware politically and socially. They love design but it's everything very academic and ethical in a way. They would rather read magazines like The New Yorker or Delayed Gratification. The whole content would have to be the further there is from all this nonsense I've been getting on most Vogues.

I'm also all for an African Vogue. :heart:

Lol about the idiots and illiterates, I know one guy who works for them and the definition suits him.
:shifty:

Not excited about KK's sneak peek at all. More and more I think she's a way too obvious and established choice for the inaugural cover. They should've picked a fresh face or someone totally unexpected to make a real milestone.

Well, the same question can be asked about, for example, USA. Do people outside LA and NYC read fashion magazines? Of course they do, and of course, not everyone. CZ and SK have a developed magazine culture, with Harper's Bazaar, Elle, Marie Claire and Cosmopolitan among others being present in the market. I can personally notice that there is a need (or at least a space) for new magazines in some countries (mostly in rising economies in Central and Eastern Europe, Western Asia..), like Vogue in Poland and Czech R and Marie Claire in Serbia too. Also, forget not that the readership doesn't play the most important role in magazine business - it's the ad revenue, and if a publishing house can foresee a financial success in terms of advertising, then why not launch a new magazine.

If you put it this way.. Yes, but, talking like a fashion lover that I am, at end of day this publication will add something to the fashion conversation? No. Only if they REALLY embrace the cultural history of the country, which I doubt. Space to publications like Vogue are everywhere. In US they could have +3 Vogues (Vogue NY, Vogue LA...) if Anna wake up some day and feel like.
You talk about a platform that goes beyond the paper. Thats true, but do we really need another huge website talking about how Gigi reinvented mom jeans AGAIN?
For me this all about the teenagers around the world that CN wants to captured so bad.

The business can grow and make millions like this, but it will lost all the credibility and relevancy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->