Vogue Italia October 2018 : Gisele Bündchen by Luigi & Iango

When Gisele is styled in the usual way, it's considered boring. When Gisele is styled differently, I read they make her look ugly. What do people want? :lol:
Gisele is one of the greatest models we will ever have and as much as I'm always in for a classic Gisele summer look editorial, this is fantastic! A tribute to Mina, who is such an icon here in Italy is probably the best "theme" Farneti has done and Gisele looks brilliant as the legendary Italian singer. Can't wait to see the whole issue!

Gisele as Maria Callas now Mina? I like the idea of this cover but Gisele looks stiff, expressionless and joyless. So beigey and the VOGUE masthead gets lost in that big ratty hair. Elegant this is not but it may be attention grabbing on the newsstand.

Can any eagle eye fashion/culture geeks trace how this Mina (tribute) landed the cover of VOGUE Italia? Social media generated buzz or is this a rare instance where an editor’s personal interest organically sparked this cover?

I’m fascinated by how or what propels seemingly left field interests into mainstream fashion or pop culture vernacular. Timing is everything: Why did VI deem here relevant NOW?

^I don´t have an exact answer but there´s been a "revival" of 60/70s songs in Italy for some years now, you go to a club and there´s a chance you´ll hear one and people go crazy over it. Maybe that´s why they chose Gisele, to have a very italian cover but with an international model to appeal to people everywhere else?

Every single image from this editorial has been stunning!
Luigi and Iango really upped their game for this and I'm here for it.
Love that they used multiple models for their Mina's.
If Meisel did this, all the usual suspects would be falling over themselves to worship their god.

Can any eagle eye fashion/culture geeks trace how this Mina (tribute) landed the cover of VOGUE Italia? Social media generated buzz or is this a rare instance where an editor’s personal interest organically sparked this cover?

I’m fascinated by how or what propels seemingly left field interests into mainstream fashion or pop culture vernacular. Timing is everything: Why did VI deem here relevant NOW?

While I was initially perplexed, it seems this is yet another of Farneti's 'make Italy great again' tricks. I remember a lot of people complained when Franca celebrated Middle Eastern beauty with three covers by Demarchelier, Weber and Linbergh. The quite valid argument was that one couldn't tell what the idea behind the covers were purely by looking at them. And I think this is yet another example. For an impulse buyer this may seem like, I dunno, a much-deserved Kevin Aucoin tribute. Lina is the last name which would pop up. What's odd is that if Lina's name weren't tied to this, I'm sure people would praise it even more. As it should be.

Must say, I personally dislike this new provincial approach which Farneti is adopting for Italian Vogue. And I mean in general, so don't come for me, Lina fans. It was under Franca an international fashion magazine which despite the language barrier, could be relished by hardcore fashion set in eveey corner of the world. It never had a native pov in the same way Carine, Alexandra and Anna tried to shape. The fact that there was a 'Black' or 'Fuller Figure' issue didn't just address Italians, it impacted the entire fashion scene. I suppose I just find it odd that in our era where everyone is gunning for a global community of sorts, it is now becoming the norm for editions to push a native appeal above all else. And here the Eastern European editions immediately comes to mind.

Last edited:
Previews:

Carla Bruni by Giampalo Sgura:

Mariacarla by Dario Catellani:

Karen Elson and Remington Williams by Luigi & Iango:

vogue.it

God the last cover is absolutely perfect! The kind of over-the-top make up/ styling that I miss with publications. They did not need the one with Gisele, this one alone was more than enough to drive anyone's attention.

Luigi & Iango, Sgura... who is next? Tyler Mitchell?
Is this Sgura's debut in VI?

If you celebrate Mina, why don't you put Mina on the cover? At first I thought it was Anna Cleveland.

Because younger generations don't know her. I think this is a good way to introduce her to them.

In the past, a lot of Vogue Italia's covers would send me down the rabbit hole of finding out more about what's being referenced in the story - so I really like the theme.

It's just unfortunate that an international audience will probably be primed to see the cover as something to do with drag queens, as has been said.

And the Remington cover is something else, but it looks more like a horror movie, like she's rotten food packaged for consumption in a supermarket for human flesh. I still love the idea, but I feel like they might be doing this singer a disservice. More research needed, and I will happily do it.

Reactions: MON
Yikes that video is pretentious.

I can't believe than even when trying to do something different (the Mina theme) they go for the cover-selling-mainstream-snoozefest that is Gisele. Come on, you need more than a pretty model to pull out something like this. She is completely dead in her eyes. She looks bored. Even Remington looks better and she is the epitome of the bored model.

And the video... such sell-outs. Disgusting this mass-appealing they are doing now. Remember when Vogue Italia would go for the up and rising models and the unusual and the artistic? All about the hype now. We aren't far from a Victoria's Secret special cover called "Let's speak Paris!".

The video is quite embarrassing...
I just saw some videos of Mina because I wanted to see if she was that OTT...

And she is not. Very chic woman with an iconic make-up. I don’t know if Gisele documented herself before trying to portray her because this is weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
versacebandana
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->