Vogue Poland September 2018 : Christy Turlington by Chris Colls

I love the strong simplicity, I only wish it was in color. B&W just doesn't scream confidence to me, it's a very safe choice from a creative perspective.

I love the strong simplicity, I only wish it was in color. B&W just doesn't scream confidence to me, it's a very safe choice from a creative perspective.

Really? I don't think so. I think that color is safer. With color, you can create something attractive easily but in black and white, you only have either light or shadow to work with, so you have to be more creative to draw attention and create something attractive.

Best cover for Christy in a long while.

not for September.

Exactly! A more quieter month, at least. There's a Jannson-like quality in the previews which I like, but it's still a pass for me.

Really? I don't think so. I think that color is safer. With color, you can create something attractive easily but in black and white, you only have either light or shadow to work with, so you have to be more creative to draw attention and create something attractive.

Black and White always works because it's a tried and true. It's a guaranteed win. Color on the other hand takes more work to perfect. Imagine how amazing this shot would have looked with some Mert and Marcus esque lighting.

So beautiful and simple. Can't go wrong with Christy in a classy shoot. Her beauty is the epitome of elegance.

Black and White always works because it's a tried and true. It's a guaranteed win. Color on the other hand takes more work to perfect. Imagine how amazing this shot would have looked with some Mert and Marcus esque lighting.

I don't think so and you are contradicting yourself. If black and white is a guaranteed win then why these black and white pictures didn't win? I think that good black and white pictures are harder to get than full color ones. With colors you don't have to think harder in compositions, lighting and balance, because is in color and it's so easy to make something attractive. In black and white I don't think that is as easy that's why many people fail with black and white pictures and they present boring pictures thinking that black and white will make them interesting.

I don't think so and you are contradicting yourself. If black and white is a guaranteed win then why these black and white pictures didn't win? I think that good black and white pictures are harder to get than full color ones. With colors you don't have to think harder in compositions, lighting and balance, because is in color and it's so easy to make something attractive. In black and white I don't think that is as easy that's why many people fail with black and white pictures and they present boring pictures thinking that black and white will make them interesting.

I'm not contradicting myself. A guaranteed win means that regardless of quality the picture will still look good because it's black and white. You can turn any picture black and white and easily adjust the brightness, shadows, etc.... I've studied both film and digital photography so I know what I'm talking about. It's a beautiful photograph, but I'm not a fan of using black and white pictures for covers or advertisements. It always looks like photographers and art directors have no ideas, so they go for the safe route which is black and white.

Last edited:
i've got my issue today. And its ok but boring, its still nice and cool ads but its boring to me, the same photographers in every issue, and the same style od foto, a lot of analog, ehh BORING for me.

But cover is GEORGE'S

there is one listing on ebay with snaps of the cover story and it is as amazing as previews posted here

I'm not contradicting myself. A guaranteed win means that regardless of quality the picture will still look good because it's black and white. You can turn any picture black and white and easily adjust the brightness, shadows, etc.... I've studied both film and digital photography so I know what I'm talking about. It's a beautiful photograph, but I'm not a fan of using black and white pictures for covers or advertisements. It always looks like photographers and art directors have no ideas, so they go for the safe route which is black and white.

But that's why black and white pictures are bad because people like you think that they can take any picture put it in grayscale in photoshop, adjust the contrast and that's great. That is not black and white photography and a picture like that is not great. You should go back to school :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::heart::heart::lol: Check out classics like Rodchenko or Man Ray that's pure black and white photography and I don't see many people creating 'easy and safe' photographs like that anymore, even when photography is very popular and inexpensive currently.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treasureagence
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->