callmejaeden

Reaction score
Vogue Ukraine Spring 2024 | #5
65e0aea10ccd7-jpg.webp
65e0aebebefda-jpg.webp

vogue.ua
Cover 1
Model
: Karyna Maziar (and cadets of the Ivan Bohun Military School)
Photographer: Brett Llyod
Photography Assistants: Marco Torri, Oliver Thrane
Hair & Makeup: Sasha Vetrova
Makeup & Grooming: Kateryna Tokareva
Hair Assistants: Diana Koval, Oksana Deneka
Makeup Artist: Alina Artiushenko, Mariia Sukh
Assistant Stylists: Anastasia Sandalova, George Golodov
Creative Director: Marta Bertman
Art Director: Sergii Kovalyov
Producer: Sasha Dudchenko
Cover 2 (Digital)
Model
: Oksana Rubaniak
Photographer: Brett Llyod
Photography Assistants: Marco Torri, Oliver Thrane
Hair & Makeup: Sasha Vetrova
Makeup & Grooming: Kateryna Tokareva
Hair Assistants: Diana Koval, Oksana Deneka
Makeup Artist: Alina Artiushenko, Mariia Sukh
Assistant Stylists: Anastasia Sandalova, George Golodov
Creative Director: Marta Bertman
Art Director: Sergii Kovalyov
Producer: Sasha Dudchenko

Poor Ukraine so far from god so close to Russia.

I’m not mad. They are pretty decent. The beauty supplement is nice too.

Absolutely awful, with a dash of desperation.
Will clog landfills worldwide.

Bring back Vogue Russia.:cool:

Agyness did it better!

Is this actually sold, or is it digital only?

Not good at all, a simple portrait could've worked much better and be a stronger statement, so many things to do with this topic.
That said, being of Ukrainian origin myself, some of your comments here are vile.

is it hate speech?? they are in the process of invading their neighbor country unprovoked they are not denying this

Should we then call Africans the worst people ever for imposing antigay laws in numerous African countries, or call Americans the worst people ever for persecuting women for abortion in several states? Or Israelis (or even worse, all Jews) for commiting war crimes in Gaza...?
If I have to explain what's 101 racism or generalization, then really...

This thread is embarassing, on various levels. Maybe partly because these covers are actually embarassing.

There is no one worse on this planet than the actual so-called "leader" of Russia (I won't even bother writing his name) and what he (and his crew-s) did is... * choose the word *. If I were living in that country myself, I guess my two only options would be prison or suicide, so...

But,

Random hate against (all) Russians isn't really better. And Vogue Ukraine doing some war propaganda (or counter-propaganda for that matter) isn't exactly something refined, or appropriate, or smart, or... Fighting against something unfair and dirty to the max (and I'm chewing my words, it's much worse on many points) doesn't mean you have to play the same game. Especially when it comes to fields like fashion, arts in general, etc.

Imagination and/or subtlety should be there to make the difference. During the way-too-many wars that took place on earth these last decades or centuries, there were people who used their imagination, their art, there were those ones who dared to be clever and independent while fighting against all the wrong turns things took, and they will always get all my attention. And admiration. And their point will, I think, always be more relevant and have more weight than basic "war language" no matter if the latter can be justified to some extent.

I've always been glad that Vogue Ukraine exists, even if I often disagreed with some of their choices (during the sweet days it was pure fashion). The way they crafted this magazines, their aims in terms of aesthetics were remarkable. I've always been glad of the existence of this mag, and I'm still glad (and more than that) it still exists on moments like now.

I could go on forever on such topics (and that's really beyond unfortunate) but I guess stopping here is better.

Imagination and/or subtlety should be there to make the difference. During the way-too-many wars that took place on earth these last decades or centuries, there were people who used their imagination, their art, there were those ones who dared to be clever and independent while fighting against all the wrong turns things took, and they will always get all my attention. And admiration. And their point will, I think, always be more relevant and have more weight than basic "war language" no matter if the latter can be justified to some extent.
In addition to this, I'd add - when the horrors pass, would anyone (for example, a local magazine collector) really love to keep a direct reminder of such past? I compare it with the covid period: all those covers with masks and dressed up medical staff are really awful when you look at them now, however, on the other hand, there were some creative covers complimenting imagination and mental escape back then, and they are still pleasant to see.

In addition to this, I'd add - when the horrors pass, would anyone (for example, a local magazine collector) really love to keep a direct reminder of such past? I compare it with the covid period: all those covers with masks and dressed up medical staff are really awful when you look at them now, however, on the other hand, there were some creative covers complimenting imagination and mental escape back then, and they are still pleasant to see.
I get your point, and sometimes, some people (attention-seeking ones or others with other dubious targets) are trying to benefit from the worst situations. That said, I will never be able to compare the Covid era with what's happening right now in Ukraine (as well as in too many other places) with the Covid. I was deeply shocked when our (not-so-dear) president Macron said at the beginning of the lockdown that we were "into some war". I've never experienced war myself, but I truly feel the difference between some "real war" and a "gentle little lockdown" during which people could go to the supermarket nextdoor to buy their stuff peacefully (unless they got involved in some toilet-paper-riots). There were no flying bombs whistling above our heads, no Damocles swords about to fall on us... My concern back then was the choice of his words. Because it's often the choice of words, images, etc. that changes things at the end of day. Weapons are meant to kill, per se. Words could be meant to mend, to improve what seems impossible to improve.

it's no secret that they've run out of willing/able-bodied men to mobilise. consequently, a concerted campaign to target women to join the meat grinder has begun. vogue ukraine, in this instance, appears to be supporting these efforts by normalising/romanticising the idea of women in the military. in my view, this is callous, and it would be more appropriate to support peaceful efforts rather than the continuation of a conflict that has brought seemingly endless death and suffering.

Not very related but a few months ago I dived into the Vogue issues from 1936-1946 that justaguy has been posting in the Vintage area. The stories and articles are just so fascinating to me, it's all war, but tackled in such varied ways, from the vapidness the fashion always involves (e.g. 'what cool girls are carrying in their survival kit', 'how not to get bored in your bunker', etc), pure political propaganda, the odd tastelessness of fashion reports in destroyed cities, pretending war is not happening, making it sound like one annoying inconvenience for fashion consumption, I could go on and on, but whatever take it is, it's kind of cool to see how fashion and fashion magazines can't really avoid documenting their sociopolitical and economic context, even when they intentionally try to avoid it..

After seeing these issues, I really see nothing bad about this.. this is a magazine that I have no idea how it's still surviving and a lot of people here know nothing about being invaded by outside forces and losing sovereignty in addition to normalcy (they really just talk out of their a*ses, and I'm sure they know that and they're probably cool with rolling like that cause StAnDiNg OuT tHrOuGh My HoT tAkEs!~)... but you bet it takes nationalism, sense of identity and pride to new heights so why not encapsulate that with the type of cover that is certainly not happening every month?, and also why does it need to be understood by foreigners? if it works for Ukrainians, their primary market, that's gotta be more than enough.

^exactly. I read a biography of Audrey Withers, editor of British Vogue from 1940-1960 and as @MulletProof said, Vogue reporting from and photographing models in literal war zones and rubble as an active effort to support their country/their side in a war, is not exactly new. She sent Cecil Beaton and Lee Miller out there to photograph/report from destroyed buildings and front lines! And there are trend reports on 'chic little bags to carry your gas mask in'.
Ukraine (and not only Ukraine) have been placed in a war situation most of us here are fortunate to never have experienced and will never be likely to experience in our lifetimes, I don't see a problem with the Vogue edition of that country reflecting some part of what it's like in 2024. I'd trust the honesty of that intent ahead of some things I saw out of fashion in 2020 (depressing as the covid-era covers may be, I appreciate some of them as reflecting that time in a more truthful way than going 'business as usual' or empty sloganeering).

if it works for Ukrainians, their primary market, that's gotta be more than enough.
While I do heartfully agree with most of your post (first paragraph was highly interesting, gotta have to check those old Vogue issues now and second one included some interesting points too), this last sentence sounds quite odd to my only ear (left one has been left aside decades ago).

For sure, so many of us, me included, have no daily idea of what war feels like. Hence my questions towards the word "market" in your text. About war, I can only relate to Mémé (my grandmother) and her words, as it's the last generation here that lived under war conditions. From her deep shock when she saw the jewish butcher (and his whole family) being asked by german soldiers (and french policemen, let's not forget) to jump in a "truck to nowhere" to the day she fell in love with a young german soldier (no nazi by any mean, he was just as clueless as her about that war they unfortunately got involved in, he was a 17yo kid like her).

While at school, our propaganda-fed-and-fueled teachers told us "H*tler was a monster, and after all, he was German". With such ideas, it's a great shortcut for the same thing to happen here (France) soon. Our dubious times love dubious characters, every "good-ol' democratic western country that loves teaching the whole world how to do things" has its own dodgy man or woman, caressing the dirty dreams of the unlucky masses. They are heavily rich and those who elect them are quite poor and sip the first ones' words like cheap soda drinks. But we, as a whole, believe that war and horror are things for other countries. Even when it is as close as Ukraine.

Selling war, no matter if it's a fashion zine or a cheap tabloïd, no matter if we're talking about the invader or the "invaded" has no point. Should never exist. Like stuff like nationalism, patriotism etc. Things that do actually and daily separate human beings from other human beings, people that could befriend otherwise, have no place or shouldn't have any. There should never be any "market" for this. But we tend to forget, sitting on our sofas looking at the TV (don't own any, btw) news like it were some Netflix series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seltzeess
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->