Walking In High Heels

I am very good at walking in heels, and thank goodness for that as in my opinion- when it comes to heels- the higher the better.

My advice: Break yourself in gently; don't start off with stilettos. Try shoes with a chunky heel- it makes things much more stable and comfortable (a couple of months ago I bought some 'Greta' Mary Janes, with a block heel, from Topshop, and they're oh-so-easy to walk in!). Wedges are good, too. Platforms are great because you can get more height but there's less of a slope (thus less pain). In my opinion, you should slowly work yourself up to wearing stilettos- especially the super-high ones- as walking in stilettos is much more difficult as you do wobble about more at first (I did, anyway)... but eventually it just becomes second nature, so don't worry.

Pain is almost always going to be an issue- even in expensive, high quality heels I haven't been able to completely avoid pain- but it gets better the more often you wear heels. Always break a new pair of heels in by walking around the house quite a lot before you go out, as then your feet will start to get used to the shoes. If you really are going to be in a lot of pain in a certain pair of heels, try Scholl Party Feet gel pads; I've used them a few times and they do help.

The other miracle cure for painful heels is, of course, alcohol. I only wear ridiculously high heels when I'm on a night out, so I don't need to bother about the pain from wearing said heels- alcohol very quickly works its magic on me so I don't feel any pain in my feet at all! Lovely! :smile:

I wear high heels every day. I can say that I started wearing high heels few years ago and I started with huge Marni platforms. And It was great because it was high but comfy. Now I can spend all day in crazy high heels and feelings myself ok. But I always change shoes when driving car

walking in heels

Like others I suggest you work your way up, don't put a pair of 4" thin stilettos on and expect to be able to walk around as you normally do. Start with a lower heel and a heel than is wider so you gain confidence and to help your foot adjust, remember a high heel has a big effect on the arch of your foot. Walk around in the house to start with and build up the time you wear them. Also remember walking on the pavement is much harder on the foot that wearing shoes inside.

Also try to avoid cheap shoes, (as often they are poorly balanced, and the heels are not strong enough) don't go to much by your normal shoes size, it is the fit that is important, make sure enough room for your toes and that your heel is held in place so the foot does not slip around. Remember they should be slightly tight to start with as most shoes will stretch a bit to the shape of your foot with wear. Other tips - A small platform sole can also provide a cushion so you don't get that burning feeling on the ball of your foot, and a pair of boots is quite a good idea as they support your ankle more
when starting out in heels.

Finally, if you can afford it (save up) treat yourself to at least one pair of heels by a proper designer such as Mannolo Blahnik - you will notice the difference in quality and how wearable they are straight away.

Learning to walk in high heels

For me, I had to learn how to walk in high heels not once, but twice - almost two years ago I lost my left leg above the knee in an accident but that didn't diminish my desire to wear a high heel again.

The second time learning was by far more difficult - I had to use some extra long brown wooden underam crutches to accomodate the extra length of the 3.5" stiletto heel I was training with. I took the tiniest of baby steps at first - not more than an inch or two at a time. I vividly remember the stiletto heel of my Chanel spectator oxford pump (my avatar) desperately tip-tapping on the linoleum, trying to find some solid ground, then my toe would go "thud" afterwards, in a rather unladlylike fashion. My stump would swing as if the rest of my left leg would put its foot out in front of the right, but it would take a while before I found it better to pretty much let it hang, and let my right leg do all the work (and wow, there's a definite difference in muscle definition in my right leg now - not to mention my arms as well)

Over the months, I've lengthened the stride, and I've quickened the pace - it's far more fluid and ladylike now, though I have had my heel caught in cracks and I would come tumbling down a time or two - very embarrasing!

Still, I only use crutches with a heel, never a prosthetic. I do have one, but that's just for flats and athletic shoes - I tried a prosthetic for heels, but that was extremely painful. I still keep my right heels as keepsakes, though. I might get my right Chanel spectator oxford bronzed one day :blush:

I admire your determination, hats off to you for your perseverance. I have small feet 5 1/2 or 6 US depending on the shoe style or maker. I love wearing heels and my rule is to walk feet straight, heel first and then gently distribute weight to ball of foot and finally toe as I stride. I always think to myself "heel toe". Also a good rule is to add a non-skid pad on the bottom of the sole, if they are smooth and slippery. I always pay attention to fit and comfort, half size up or down and adding gel pads or inserts helps. Practice around the house and if you are wobbly in a really tall pair always hold on to a hand rail on stairs or your boyfriends/hubby arm for support, better yet take the elevator to avoid a bad fall or sprain.

Gosh, I'm having so much trouble in walking in my favorite heels:

source: i54.tinypic.com/2cf6ywy.png, photobucket.com,

Does ANYONE have any tips. It hurts so much on my baby toes (where theh black strap is) and also the soles of my feet... any tips would be much appreciated!

2cf6ywy.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You might try shoe stretch, you can buy it at target in the shoe area with laces and inserts. You spray it on and then wear it around the house and re-apply if it needs to be stretched more. I have used it on boots that were too tight and it helped.

^^ for the soles are silicone pads:
http://www.kiwiforwomen.com/products.php

But they have a thick, small (about 2 mm), but you'll notice less space between the sole and the strap. There were about 4€

Try to have hydrated any area where the shoe can hurt you, so you don't end up with scrapes or blisters.

Thankyou both! I will try both suggestions. Really, any tips at this point would be a godsend!

I love walking in high heels. And I got better at it while doing it more often.
Though I'm still afraid to fall sometimes :P

I agree with the post about not being able to wear flats. I too trip and scuff my toes if I wear flats. Not a problem anymore as I almost always wear heels. I have a really high arches and I wonder if that helps me walk/wear high heels more easily.

I wonder about that too.. I also have really high arches...

I think it always helps to channel most of the energy towards the thighs. It's a great workout, it helps with your posture, and it makes your walk look effortless and confident!

I can get insecure about my height every now and then. I'm 175cm and wear around 14cm heels, I always feel so tall and like people are looking at me.. Anyone else who feels this way?

I can get insecure about my height every now and then. I'm 175cm and wear around 14cm heels, I always feel so tall and like people are looking at me.. Anyone else who feels this way?

I am 182 cm and i wear high heels (mostly 15cm). Yes people stare and whisper... seriously i couldnt care less. They can talk all they want if they dont have anything better to do with their time - thank you very much for making me the center of your world. Just remember great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people :wink:

I love high heels, but I'm not too great at walking in them, I don't go out much so I mostly wear high heels just when I have to get dressed up for something.

I feel as though for me personally taking ballet a few years has increased my ability to walk in heels. It seems as thought it's just improved my balance and general grace in movements. It's pretty easy for me to adjust to tall heels (like 5''/6'') now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HigthaVandah
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->