Wearing Over-Sized Clothing

papa_levante

oh! darling
Reaction score
(I didn't find a thread on this... at least I don't think so. I tried every combo of "over-sized" there is.) :lol:

Today, I didn't have a fitting pair of jeans so I just opted to wear some old jeans and keep them on with a tight-fitting belt. The outfit turned out looking ok. ^_^

Does anyone buy any specific items in a larger size to pull off a certain look?

I have tried putting on old shirts and sleeveless tops that are over-sized or just plain too big for me, but I can't seem to make that look work. My best bet, so far, is just wearing jeans. (By cuffing them, I make it look like I'm not sloppy and the bagginess is done on purpose, part of the outfit.) :P:D

Love the concept.

Sometimes I wear clothes a size up, or at least when in doubt I opt for the bigger size. I think it looks good, gives you a better movement range, plus you look better when your clothes are bigger somehow, I don´t know how to say it... you look smaller, it´s a bit of eye trickery.
I have a pair of oldish jeans, they fit like a boy´s but in a woman. Everybody tells me you look so good in those, you are so slim. And I´m the same. But I look smaller in those pants.

This has to be done subtly, you don´t need to be swimming in too big clothes, just a tiny bit on the looser side.

I think the french have ideas about this, about this kind of way of fitting clothes..

This works better of course in casual clothing, I mean jeans, shirts, tee shirts, cargos.

It´s the exact opposite of the tacky habit of wearing clothes too small (as seen in Mariah Carey for instance:yuk:)

Last edited by a moderator:
My experience is that when I've bought something, that are supposed to be fitted, in 2-3 sizes larger the normally it looks Awkward. But when I size up in something that is supposed to have a slightly looser fit it often works out fine. - An example is clothing for "bigger girls". eg. h&m's "big is beautiful selection" I can size up 3-4 sizes and something that would normally be a top becomes a loose dress on me.

I've also tried wearing men's t's as slouchy oversized t's on myself - but that does not look good on me as I have too many curves...

I love wearing baggy jeans-not overly baggy though. I love the fact that you can look super cool with them and it looks as if you aren't even trying to be B)

Also, during winter I will buy long baggy fleecey turtle neck sweaters ( the come about mid thigh or so and wear them with skinnies and some boots- love love love that look. :rolleyes:

I sometimes buy things a size bigger. I'm fine with wearing a sweater that's a size larger. Jeans also look ok when they're a bit loose fitting. It's not always a must for me to wear skin tight jeans. I wear a belt. I always wear a belt:P

i think it depends on your body type. if you are curvy, you really can't wear oversized clothes because they just make you look bigger.

i love baggy pants, as long as they are only fluid through the legs. excess material at the waist is never attractive, no matter how thin you are.

Last year I bought a cashmere jumper from Uniqlo that is about 1 or 2 sizes larger and I love it! I make sure that I wear very skinny jeans or trousers with it though and obviously it being loose and cashmere it's really comfy!

I wear oversized clothes all the time; I borrow my boyfriend's shirts and wear them with black tights (and if they're quite short in length when I wear them, I put on a tiny pair of shorts underneath) all the time. The same goes for jumpers. I like big things, but sometimes I overdo it and I look at myself and I think, "God, I look like I'm too sizes bigger than I actually am"!
I wouldn't be able to wear baggy trousers because I would just feel really huge in them. I have spindly legs but I'm only 5"3 and so baggy trousers don't generally look good on me.

I'll often buy t-shirts 2-3 sizes bigger than i am and wear them with skinny jeans.
And I'm tall, so I often buy cardigans in larger sizes just so they fit my arm length.
But I find that, if you're going to buy oversize clothing, if it's only a 'little bit' oversized, you just look plumper than you are... make sure its very DEFINITELY oversized on you so it looks better :smile:

i always wear oversized clothing. even as i type this i'm wearing a calvin klein microfibre t-shirt in XL. i find it looks the most polished when you pair oversized with undersized; a very loose fitted sweater with cigarette pants, baggy jeans with a crisp button up and tight blazer etc.

I wear oversized clothes all the time; I borrow my boyfriend's shirts and wear them with black tights (and if they're quite short in length when I wear them, I put on a tiny pair of shorts underneath) all the time. The same goes for jumpers. I like big things, but sometimes I overdo it and I look at myself and I think, "God, I look like I'm too sizes bigger than I actually am"!
That sounds a lot like me. About 90% of my clothes (or at least the majority of my key pieces) are oversized.. I get them like that both for the look and the comfort and I think this works better when you treat it like the skin rule, baggy top and baggy bottom rarely work so you have to pick one or the other and then go for something form-fitting to balance the look.. that or something short or more structured.. Dries Van Noten plays with oversized proportions all the time, he's a big inspiration when it comes to dressing like that. :heart:

:lol: I think it's unanimous that over-sized tops are the way to go versus over-sized bottoms.

Sometimes, if I see something I like and there's only bigger sizes left I'll try it on anyway and see how the bigger size looks. I have a really nice kimono sleeve blouse that looks great oversized. I also oversize in t-shirts and sweaters. Never anything on my bottom half though.

I love loose-ish t-shirts, oversized chunky knits and I usually buy shirt that is size or two bigger. I just don´t really like anything skin tight on my upper body...
:lol:
Ofcourse oversized look is best when it is worn with fitting skinny jeans,
but I sometimes wear my boyfriend jeans and pair it it with loose-ish shirt, not sknitight but not huuuuuuge eather´and I think it looks just fine. Boyfriend jeans looks very nice with basic long-ish tanktop and cute litte cardigan that is little shorter side. I just love that combination and it makes my middle part look longer.

For example Jessica Szhor outfit is just right.
It is something I wear too, I just love those too big knits.

2cz5a9d.jpg

xpn8dg.jpg

thejessicaszhornetwork

i have a white button-up shirt, something like in this pic of Alexa... but with a short sleeve...
but it's 1 size bigger than my other clothes :lol: so i don't wear it...
well this thread probably will be helpful for me :lol: so i'll keep watching it :flower:

i'm only 5'2" so... it's not that much, i don't want to look baggy, fat or sth like that :huh:

:lol: I think it's unanimous that over-sized tops are the way to go versus over-sized bottoms.

i think an oversized top is easier to fit more body shapes than an oversized bottom. oversized skirts or trousers tend to look great on tall *edit* people but it might 'swallow' a shorter one *edit*. oversized tops look better on more body shapes because a more defined leg looks better on anyone i think!:flower:

I'm tall and *edit*and I find if I wear oversized clothes I end up looking bigger. I can somewhat pull off a baggy shirt or sweater, but never bottoms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fashionhag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->