What Are You Reading?

I'm finally reading the last chapters of "Pledged". I took a 4 month break from the book :blush: It's about US sororities.

Originally posted by purplelucrezia@Oct 13 2004, 10:08 PM
Cereus Blooms at Night, by Shani Mootoo
[snapback]396502[/snapback]​
It's only been about two days, maybe, and I'm nearly done it! :shock:
For some reason, I'm hugely enjoying this very, very strange and faintly disturbing book...

Shadow and Substance (me and my plays...) by Paul Vincent Carroll

Unequal Childhoods by Annette Lareau.

It is a socioeconomic study of the parenting differences and outcomes between working-class and middle-class families.

As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner)

I have a sudden interest in the so-called 'Southern gothic'. :shock:

Originally posted by alwaysandnever@Oct 17 2004, 12:24 AM
As I Lay Dying (William Faulkner)

I have a sudden interest in the so-called 'Southern gothic'. :shock:
[snapback]399281[/snapback]​

I'll be reading The Sound and the Fury in a few weeks.

tonight I'm going to start reading philosopher Søren Kirkegårds Even/Or again. I read it the first time when I was ten and since then I've read it three times. I still don't quite get it. But I'm not giving up ... :boxer:

I've been trying to read Dubliners but I have so much going on in my life right now that I just don't have the time or patience to go through with it.

Originally posted by As You Like It@Oct 15 2004, 05:54 PM
Unequal Childhoods by Annette Lareau.

It is a socioeconomic study of the parenting differences and outcomes between working-class and middle-class families.
[snapback]398078[/snapback]​

Hmmm...sounds interesting - wouldn't normally associate economics with anything vaguely moralistic! :innocent: There was a great program on British telly a while back where (ex-Tory-shadow-minister) Michael Portillo looked after the children of a single mother from the sticks for a week.

I'm reading a dictionary...what fun...

Originally posted by faust@Oct 17 2004, 08:21 AM
I'll be reading The Sound and the Fury in a few weeks.
[snapback]399460[/snapback]​

Yes, indeed I'll have to read that one as well...

Do tell me if you know of / come across similar authors that are worth reading!...

Anna Karenina- Leo Tolstoy

I have some serious doubts about getting to the end on this baby, I accidently dropped it yesterday, and it left a little dent in my floor. :shock:

I just finish reading Shopaholic and sister by Sophie Kinsella...The shopaholics series are AWESOME !

Originally posted by alwaysandnever@Oct 17 2004, 01:03 PM
Yes, indeed I'll have to read that one as well...

Do tell me if you know of / come across similar authors that are worth reading!...
[snapback]399743[/snapback]​

Sure. It's a part of the course on the late period of modernism in literature, but I'll wait until I read Faulkner to see if the other authors are similar.

Originally posted by slinky_vagabond@Oct 17 2004, 01:09 PM
Anna Karenina- Leo Tolstoy
[snapback]399749[/snapback]​

voluntery self-torture :lol:

James L. Bowditch & Anthony F. Buono – A Primer on Organizational Behavior

Originally posted by faust@Oct 18 2004, 12:19 PM
Sure. It's a part of the course on the late period of modernism in literature, but I'll wait until I read Faulkner to see if the other authors are similar.
[snapback]400770[/snapback]​

Why, thanks! :flower:

Alwaysandnever--Flannery O'Connor is a very dark Southern Gothic writer. Check her short stories out. I thought they were wickedly funny.

Invisible Monsters is my fave from Chuck Palahniuk

Faust--I just picked up Four by Pelevin, will let you know what I think of it.

MulletP-I've always had the desire to read Naked Lunch, but have been intimidated....enjoy.

Nonfiction book on the nightstand-The Substance of Style--it's about the rise of aesthetics in modern culture and I'm finding it very interesting

Originally posted by purechris@Oct 18 2004, 04:56 PM
Alwaysandnever--Flannery O'Connor is a very dark Southern Gothic writer. Check her short stories out. I thought they were wickedly funny.
[snapback]401134[/snapback]​

Thanks - I will!!! :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magfag
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->