What effects do models have on you?

notmanons

Reaction score
What effects do models have on you?
Do they make you feel good/bad about yourself?
Do they have a good/bad influence on you?
RoleModels?
Negative or Positive, it's really interesting to know what effects they have on you!
Also when did you first start to take an interest in them?
Talk about it here! :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I personally started to like models about a two years ago. I was really bored, and just went on designer websites and watched runway shows. The fashion really interested me but the models just amazed me.
So my interest started there, but it wasn't neccesarily a good thing as it would make me question my weight and looks. I never cared about my appearance but it would make me very insecure as I can still be.

i can't say i feel anything really! ~ if anythn since the internet & freely available images i've learnt models are just human . .
they have flaws too . . they aren't perfect at all
although they are amazing eye candy sometimes . .
seeing beautiful people is always a mood booster for me . .
:flower:

i know chanel..
i don't understand this thing that some teenagers seem to have about worshipping or 'following' certain models...
and maybe some adults have it too...

but i reallly couldn't care less...
they are just props in the picture to sell whatever is in the picture or to tell whatever the story is..
i appreciate a good model in my work because it makes my jopb easier if i don't have to tell them exactly what to do constantly...

but i notice the clothes or the set or the hair and make up more than i notice the model usually...
unless it's a bad model...which is just annoying....so i notice it...

anyway---so many of them look so alike that i can barely tell them apart and then they fade away and there is a new bunch...

i just don't get the model obsession frankly...
:ermm:

**if you want to talk about how models make you insecure about your weight---
that belongs in the weight thread....
we are not going to start another thread to discuss that topic...

thank you...:wink:

Hm...the first time I bought Vogue (German) was in 2001 and I can still remember the Cover Image!!!!!

VODeu0301_00.jpg
(fashion-iconography)

I was 15 then. And since then I love Models and fashion and everything about it....well but I have to admit Models don´t always make me feel good, but they definately made me work-out more! And I definately like my body less when I see a Model. When I was younger I did not care about my looks....and that has definately a lot to do with my surroundings, because I´m from a very very little town in Germany, and there´s nooooooooooooooooooooooo fashion around. You won´t see anything "Vogue" here. It´s like in "Little House". I don´t see a model as a role Model.......but I love them...because they are beautiful!!!

yes soft, i'm often admiring the styling, makeup & clothes rather than the model
the models are really just vehicles for the mood & look . .
obv. there are some models who transcend trends & become sort of iconic
for me christy turlington is one . . but other than that i'd say most are fairly 'disposable'

I love beautiful things and that include models. I like some models more, but I don't have obsession with certain models. But I can understand why people find exciting following a model's career. It can seem obsessive when people collect all pics of models and almost fall in love with image of the model, but is not much different from cheering for a favorite gymnast (see avatar, hah) or being a fan of some artist. Just that what models do are help creating beautiful images.

I don't see models like only "props". :huh: Modeling takes skills like every job and good model is not "just" beautiful, but can make all the difference for a piece of clothing or add new dimension to a picture.

Models don't have effect on how I feel about me. Not conscious anyway. I don't want to look like models or be like them or anything. I just like to look at them like I love to look at paintings or beautiful flower.

I also love models, I like looking at picture. They're just fascinating, superficial, beautiful creatures. They aren't really all that real to me.
But I can't deny that they are intimidating in a way. Im a 'cute' looking girl, but Alessandra does indeed make me feel ugly. I know its irrational, but its shocking that beautiful girls like that even exist.

I honestly don't see what the obsession is.
Models do not effect my life in any way. i see it as modeling being a job and models have an obligation to promote a particular product.

when young girls start to idolize a model because they wish to look a certain way and they begin to put their lives/health in danger...that becomes a problem...i think people should look at models for what they do (as a profession) not try to duplicate their profession in ones everyday life.

i like some of them very much (not as much as others though) but i don't usually care for models ... i share and agree with softgrey's reasoning :flower: ... that being said, model combat's fun which is probably the only time i think about them in such a manner. :smile:

If anything, they've definitely made me feel more open about beauty and its variety.. as a "Disney" kid, I grew up under the full lips/big eyes/long hair standard of beauty, anything far from that perspective was not considered particularly pretty to me and by following fashion and seeing girls like Colette, Ann-Catherine, Anouck, Agnes Buzala.. girls that are not conventional in all sense of the word, I've definitely learned to accept others and myself...shallow speaking of course.. but I'm no longer quite as critical as I used to be in my early 10s..

Anyway, while I don't understand why some girls would do anything to look like one specific model, I do understand the obsession in some teenagers and why they see them as huge stars- it's quite unusual to see an actress so oustandingly good-looking and enjoying an extravagant way of life at such an early age, most actors range above 20 and to see someone that shared your environment 2 months ago and is currently a huge star and beauty icon in the fashion world.. you dont easily ignore that as a teenager.. I think you want to follow her because..she could be you. ^_^

I have never looked at a model and tried to compare myself. As Softgrey mentioned the models are just props, I tend to look at the outfits first and then at the models face.

People need to remember that the images you look at have been heavily photoshopped and do not give a realistic overview of reality.

softgrey said:
i know chanel..
i don't understand this thing that some teenagers seem to have about worshipping or 'following' certain models...
and maybe some adults have it too...
I don't really understand either. I don't think it makes anyone, teen or adult, weird, though. I think of it just like any other hobby I don't get. Some people like to follow & discuss models, and that's it.

It's unfortunate, of course, when especially young girls idolise and strive to imitate models. But afa I have noticed, most people here seem to have a bit more realistic view of models and modeling. There's gushing over their beauty, lots of it, but it seems more like a hobby or sport to find new exciting models, create their thread, and then follow their career.

I can be stunned by a model's beauty, but I have way too many model acquaintances to be really fascinated by the whole modeling scene. I've seen all their bad sides. :lol:

Female models make me cry because they have beautiful skin. Male models make me cry because they have beautiful bodies. I have neither :(

they make me feel short. lol
to me, i like models for what they do. i like them when i see an ed or ad i really like. they don't really have an effect on me i guess b/c i don't see them as people, i see them as vehicles that facilitate fashion....

Very little to be honest.

Because I see models all the time, in magazines and in threads, I started to see them as professionals, people who are good at what they do. I don't compare myself to models, and they don't have an effect on my selfimage. I'm not a 'fan' of any model, it might seem that way, but just appreciate good work, same goes for designers, stylists, photograpghers etc.

kanita said:
Very little to be honest.

Because I see models all the time, in magazines and in threads, I started to see them as professionals, people who are good at what they do. I don't compare myself to models, and they don't have an effect on my selfimage. I'm not a 'fan' of any model, it might seem that way, but just appreciate good work, same goes for designers, stylists, photograpghers etc.

Wait, I'm lying here. I worked backstage at a fashionshow once, and back then I was quite selfconcious about my hight (6'1) but when I saw those tall girls wearing high heels, I felt like I could to.

I now live in heels :D

you hit the nail on the head chanel . . !!!
i too usually feel fairly neutral about most models-
though i would be lying if i said i didnt appreciate a beautiful face !
sometimes its lovely to browse through and see beautiful faces and beautiful clothes and just appreciate them for what they are-

for me its like looking at amazing architecture...
or a gorgeous landscape..... or a work of art....
i suppose that de-humanizes the models a little bit, but i am not there to understand their values or admire their way of life..... it sounds awful, but they have pretty faces, and they carry product well, and thats the extent of their function in that context, imo....

it makes me feel good to see a beautiful face in the same way it makes me feel good to see any beautiful thing-

however, there are a select few that become sort of iconic, in my mind anyway.... usually for me they are models who branch out to do something with a bit more depth, and have a message they are trying to convey....
eg- completely agree about christy turlington, and i love helena christensen & stella tennant :heart:

Beauty is always attractive... anywhere,anytime... beauty attracts.
However... after this initial attraction, a closer look will usualy allow you to see things for what they really are.:wink:

I don't know about models.. like some of you said... while flipping through a magazine or watching runway... I notice the clothes more then anything. :lol::huh: However, just like a beautiful peice of clothing, beautiful architecture or art... a beautiful face will always atract. I take it for what it is.. and appreciate it for what it is. Beauty is wonderful.. but it's not the only thing in this world worth living for or appreciating.

Models don't make me uncomfortable.. a beautiful picture or face is always pleasant to see... it's undeniable.. but it's important to realize that beauty isen't only in a face, or a well sculpted body...

Take models for what they are.. they are first people just like you and me... and some of them are also truly talented and intelligent people, so I don't see why they coulden't make good role-models... :flower:

MulletProof said:
If anything, they've definitely made me feel more open about beauty and its variety.. as a "Disney" kid, I grew up under the full lips/big eyes/long hair standard of beauty, anything far from that perspective was not considered particularly pretty to me and by following fashion and seeing girls like Colette, Ann-Catherine, Anouck, Agnes Buzala.. girls that are not conventional in all sense of the word, I've definitely learned to accept others and myself...shallow speaking of course.. but I'm no longer quite as critical as I used to be in my early 10s..

so true! i look more like missy rayder as oppose to..paris hilton. if i didn't discover fashion and models etc i probably would've hated what i looked like because i don't fit the blonde hair, blue eyes thing..
as others have said, i'm into aesthetic things. architecture, clothes etc and models come along with that.
i know it's hard for (young people) to accept yourself when there's beautiful people in magazines etc..but you have to come a point where you acknowledge this is you and accept it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misanita
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->