What should one look for, in terms of quality, when buying men's dress shirts?

Chinor1z said:
Well, I think "middleschooler" just about says it all. So does diluted "fashion" from AE/AF/hell on earth. No runway show pretty much equals a company that just steals concepts from the true innovators.

As for girls loving what you wear. Let me guess... these girls own no fewer than 3 pairs of Uggs/Mukluks/some-eskimo-based-shoe, tuck their jeans into them, have jeans with bleached out thigh streaks and butt, have a return to Tiffany's bracelet, carry a monogrammed bag (either fake LV, or Guess' ripoff of the Gucci monogram most likely) and may or may not wear baby tees that say "princess", "queen", "boy's lie", or bebe across the front. Am I close?Not close at all. Heres what they wear:
1.They're bags aren't fake, the girls are rich(i go to private school)
the bags are all real:LV, Coach, Dooney and Bourke, or Burberry
2.No they don't wear shirts that say "Princess, Queen or Boy's Lie" unlike your friends.
3. They have real Tiffany's Jewelery.
4.They wears stuff like Raplh Lauren or A&F Polos,Denim Skirts, Destroyed Jeans,etc.

I don't even want to bother addressing the rest. I think your responses speak volumes.

Don't you have some social studies homework to do? Or is it algebra night?

I'm loving every minute of this.

Not close at all. Heres what they wear:
1.They're bags aren't fake, the girls are rich(i go to private school)
the bags are all real:LV, Coach, Dooney and Bourke, or Burberry
2.No they don't wear shirts that say "Princess, Queen or Boy's Lie" unlike your friends.
4.They wears stuff like Raplh Lauren or A&F Polos,Denim Skirts, Destroyed Jeans,etc.
Sorry, but :sick:. That sounds like hell. :evil:

Last edited by a moderator:
On topic first - imo, best shirts are made by Richard James

I don't doubt you that they're very decent shirts, however I have a well made two-tone shirt which has the label 'Richard James, Savile Row', backlane find, and the fabric is almost identical to one of my Marks & Spencer Autograph shirts.

Go bespoke.....you will get a tailor-made fit and the price is often comparable to a Thomas Pink (which is crappy quality..plastic buttons at $200?) and can even go as low as some of the premium (LOL) $98 dress shirts at BR. Jantzen has a custom order program and the shirts are remarkably inexpensive, but there's a long waiting list.....

1.They're bags aren't fake, the girls are rich(i go to private school)the bags are all real:LV, Coach, Dooney and Bourke, or Burberry
2.No they don't wear shirts that say "Princess, Queen or Boy's Lie" unlike your friends

All that dosh and no dress sense, charming. :rolleyes:

i lol'ed:P at this thread

this is my general interest as well, graduating from school, and i guess it's time to move on to something more appropriate for work.
so keep the suggestions comming.

I'm also looking for the perfect white shirt that will last ages.

seraphelle said:
I'm looking to buy some dress (button-down, collared) shirts for a guy with a tall, slender but not skinny figure. Recommendations of brands are good, but I'd also like to know what kinds of details one should look for in general when buying dress shirts. What specifically makes a man's dress shirt of good quality? Is a person just as well off buying a low end dress shirt, or is a splurge worth it, and why? I really don't know anything about the cutting and tailoring of men's clothes so those are the kinds of details I am looking for information about.

I am very surprised nobody has mentioned so far the shirts from Charvet! They go from 145 to 380 euros (more if it is made to measure) and have 700 different materials.

Details:

The stripes on the shoulder match exactly those running down the sleeve.
The cuff on the hand were you wear your watch is wider, in order to accomodate your (often bulky) timepiece. Now, is that class or what?:woot:

well i ended up buying a Miu Miu shirt. $190.
slim fit, soft, well made, it's so kewl. but they only had one in white, which i bought, and a few green ones that i didn't care for.

i tried on a Hugo Boss slim fit, they are nice, but they only had black...so yeah...

For a good custom option, try land's end. Their fabric is decent. It takes 3-4 weeks though

On your second shirt, you'll be able to nip-and-tuck from the measurements of the first one.

----------Fit

First things first: the most important thing is fit, if it doesn't fit in the shoulders and neck, forget it. The neck should be snug and no gap should show, but you should be able to put two fingers in there. It shouldn't strangle you though.

The shoulder seams be at your shoulders, not running down your bicep. American-fit shirts are the worse at this. The armholes shouldn't be voluminous either. A tailor really can't do anything about those things.

But if the shirt isn't tapered enough or fits a little too big in the body, you can get this tailored. Same goes for sleeve length.

----Material

Never wear synthetics or chemically treated no-irons.

There are a million different type of weaves. But the basic ones are:

Broadcloth is tough, easy to clean, and the more expensive stuff isn't see-through. But if it's cheap, it'll wrinkle, and it's somewhat hard to breast. Formal.

Oxfords: A bit of a more interesting texture than broadcloth, and less see through. But the really fancy one tend to snag.

Twills: doesn't wrinkle/tough as hell/hard to clean

The higher the finer the thread, the smoother the shirt, and more expensive the shirt.

---Style?
There are million collar styles, but the most common are spread, point, and button-down.

Box pleats/Side Pleats/(Shirred, very rare)?

Pockets? No Pockets.

Barrel Cuffs? French Cuffs? One button/2/3? Mitered/Rounded/Squared off?

English/French Placket?

Your preference, it really depends on how formal you want to look. But the safe(!) option is a round barrel cuff with one button, english placket, point collar.
---------
Construction: a lot of the best shirts will have a lot of hand-stitched seams. But a very good shirt can be completely machine-sewed. Personally, I think hand-stitching just adds a lot of cost.

Look for single needle seams and secure buttons.
-----Least of all, brand::

Best: the various custom shirt makers from naples, rome, and england.

The best shirts will retail for around 500. But when you get north of 200 dollars, you're paying for a lot of unnecessaries.

Ralph Lauren and Lands End makes a good shirt for the money.

Chinor1z said:
Well, I think "middleschooler" just about says it all. So does diluted "fashion" from AE/AF/hell on earth. No runway show pretty much equals a company that just steals concepts from the true innovators.

As for girls loving what you wear. Let me guess... these girls own no fewer than 3 pairs of Uggs/Mukluks/some-eskimo-based-shoe, tuck their jeans into them, have jeans with bleached out thigh streaks and butt, have a return to Tiffany's bracelet, carry a monogrammed bag (either fake LV, or Guess' ripoff of the Gucci monogram most likely) and may or may not wear baby tees that say "princess", "queen", "boy's lie", or bebe across the front. Am I close?

I don't even want to bother addressing the rest. I think your responses speak volumes.

Don't you have some social studies homework to do? Or is it algebra night?

I'm loving every minute of this.

:lol: I shouldn't be laughing but I can't help it. :doh:

Yeah. I agree with Chinor1z.

1.They're bags aren't fake, the girls are rich(i go to private school)the bags are all real:LV, Coach, Dooney and Bourke, or Burberry
2.No they don't wear shirts that say "Princess, Queen or Boy's Lie" unlike your friends

Dooney & Bourke? Jesus Christ. Dooney & Bourke is possibly the most digusting deluded "brand" in the world. They used to be sold in Kohls for 20$ and now they have "reinvented" themselves, the only thing that's changed? The already-inflated prices. Worth next to nothing. Produced in sweatshops, and sold to the american consumer. thats the dooney & bourke way!

Have you seen their advertisements? They resemble Louis Vuitton's. Surprise. Surprise. (rolls eyes)

Last edited by a moderator:
marsmars said:
:lol: I shouldn't be laughing but I can't help it. :doh:

Yeah. I agree with Chinor1z.

Dooney & Bourke? Jesus Christ. Dooney & Bourke is possibly the most digusting deluded "brand" in the world. They used to be sold in Kohls for 20$ and now they have "reinvented" themselves, the only thing that's changed? The already-inflated prices. Worth next to nothing. Produced in sweatshops, and sold to the american consumer. thats the dooney & bourke way!

Have you seen their advertisements? They resemble Louis Vuitton's. Surprise. Surprise. (rolls eyes)

want to know disgusting? there's a dooney & bourke boutique in dallas. ive never seen anyone in there. haha.

the-smiths said:
I'm also looking for the perfect white shirt that will last ages.

if you find it, let me know if it comes in black.

A few years late to the debate but the only shirts I wear are THE, (original), mod classic Button Down, (slim fit), courtesy of Brooks Brothers and more recently a beautiful check 'number' from Margaret Howell, (only produced in 2007)

I am also looking for a new dress shirt. Most of my shirts are big on me since I'm skinny. What brands should I look for? Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss etc. is not really an option since I'm poor. Are Van Heusen shirts good for the money?

I am also looking for a new dress shirt. Most of my shirts are big on me since I'm skinny. What brands should I look for? Ralph Lauren, Hugo Boss etc. is not really an option since I'm poor. Are Van Heusen shirts good for the money?

Cheap brands with slim fit shirts would be something like express or H&M. Try to find 100% cotton ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Valkirius
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->