What to wear to someone else's wedding

IMO wearing a white dress to someone elses wedding is disrespectful, but a white overcoat is alright. there is nothing wrong with it.
sounds nice what you are planning to wear.

^Thank you for your input myown and fashionista-ta:flower: Looks like I have my entire outift ready then:D

Fashionista-ta - I do try not to judge people in general. I know that not everybody feel like I do about most things, but when people wear something certain things to someones wedding I find it is very disrespectful.

I have worked at many weddings, and when I see girls in stripper platform heels and mini-dresses (to the point I can tell you what color their knickers are), or white dresses, I feel so bad for them and the bride. I know what the bride is paying for her day and I think any attempt to steal the brides spot light at a wedding is so inappropriate and incredibly rude, and I dislike few things as much as rudeness. Also, you just know that that girl in the red knickers will cringe in 10 years when she sees her picture from the wedding.

I'd love to wear this pale pink dress to a friends wedding, I'm just unsure if it's too close to white. I don't want to make an etiquette mistake but I love the dress. I'd match it with darker colour sandals and clutch.

What do you guys think, here's the dress, it's a pale pink with gold stripes, I'm hoping it would be a little darker irl:

image1xl.jpg

image3xxl.jpg

asos.com

^ it's pink, not white, so not a problem (as long as the bride isn't wearing pink). and of course they usually don't ...

I think it's okay, too. Maybe you could wear accessories in stronger colors with it to make sure you don't look "bridal"?

I does look too bridal for me, sorry. I would choose another colour for sure, I mean there are plenty of them. :P

I have a wedding to attend in April too, but will probably wear something I already have,
or maybe I will buy something new and wear it for my diploma award ceremony too, which will (probably) be around the same time.

Thanks for your opinion ladies! :flower: I think I'm going to see what it looks like irl and then decide if it's too wedding dress-ish.

It's a pain to find a dress because I love light colours! I too have already few nice dresses but I'm always finding excuses to buy new ones :D

i have another wedding to go to in California...
outside LA, in Orange County...

late October...
friday night...

considering wearing pants...
:innocent:...

I have apparently reached that age when people start getting married... I'm going to two this year! But since I'm going to both weddings as a plus one, I think I'm going to wear things I already have in my closet. I'm thinking of:

f7414677f16666b5706e5a9f31f11747.jpg
4542365-1-blackleather

asos

I'm not sure how/whether to accessorize? Also this will be an afternoon/night wedding, would a black blazer look too harsh?

And:

d93d0edef60b2b169b85b61d958b20a8.jpg
3fd1a3a2dc96e05eeb68a8cf73185431.jpg

asos, cortefiel

Maybe some kind of scarf here? A pearl necklace?

Thanks in advance :flower:

^ How about dramatic earrings for the first one and a necklace for the second? If you think you might get cold, you could get a wrap that would go with both ...

A wrap! That's precisely what I meant by "scarf" :smile: I can't think of any colour that would look good with both, however... I was looking at a silver wrap for the second dress but I am not so sure about it for the first.

^ Silver would probably work with both ... metallics are neutral. I was thinking ivory or camel or black would work with both, or maybe some sort of subtle print ...

I have two wraps, bright pink and leopard print, and they seem to work with everything I have ... or, I should say, everything I've needed a wrap with :wink:

I'm bringing back an old question here, but "ivory" got me thinking... and I was thinking of buying this cape/coat:

2517778712_2_1_1.jpg

zara

Is it too white? :ermm: Website states "ecru" or something of that sort. Both weddings are going to be church weddings (catholic), and I know that the bride in one of them is an actual practicing catholic...

I'm bringing back an old question here, but "ivory" got me thinking... and I was thinking of buying this cape/coat:

zara

Is it too white? :ermm: Website states "ecru" or something of that sort. Both weddings are going to be church weddings (catholic), and I know that the bride in one of them is an actual practicing catholic...

I think that most people wouldn't care, but I generally do not wear white (or anything resembling white) to white. I can wear that any other day, if I wish to, so no need risking being inapropriately dressed, in my opinion.

IMO this would be fine, since your dresses will be a definite color.

My aunt wore a white lace dress to my sister's wedding. It was definitely inappropriate, but there was no competition being presented :wink:

IMO this would be fine, since your dresses will be a definite color.

My aunt wore a white lace dress to my sister's wedding. It was definitely inappropriate, but there was no competition being presented :wink:
When my cousin Emilie got married, her mother (also my cousin? She's my father's first cousin) also wore a weddding dress. Now that's what I call competition :wink:

Thank you all for the input! I also think it might be ok, but I will see the coat in real life before deciding. It's mostly to cover my arms during the church part and definitely not for the pictures.

^ There should be a door marked 'Therapy, right this way' for anyone who does that :wink:

zara

in my opinion you should not wear anything white or "alike white" like ivory, off white etc.
I didnt cared on my wedding day, but people kept on talking about that and it looks weird in photos.
if one of the brides is very catholic, then you have your answer yourself: do not wear that. even if you ask her and she says it´s okay, it´s an traditional catholic wedding after all, so no!

^ barbaraa said that she won't be wearing the wrap/cape in photos, just to keep warm if needed.

When my aunt made her faux pas, I didn't hear anyone talking about the white lace elephant in the room :D I guess the level of chatter will somewhat depend on the level of the guests and how much they have to talk about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aeroplvne
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->