Why do you like/hate Rochas by Olivier Theyskens?

thanks foxie pooh....
i guess it was such a smooth segue and since he didn't make a big fuss about shutting his company...
i just assumed that is was as a result of the job offer at rochas...

as haruki pointed out...
there had been talk of him going elsewhere as well...
so it wasn't a big surprise to me when it happened...

thanks for the details on the way it really went down...
:flower:..

Love- The clothes, the image, the prettiness, and the shows' "clean" look

Hate- The fact that Olivier is gay, because I want to marry that guy. He's number three on my "Designers That Are Gay That I Wish Were Straight So I Could Have A Chance With Them" list (just behind Ghesquiere and that guy Daniel from Project Runway).

fashionista-ta said:
That seems to have changed though with this most recent collection ... lots of pants, short skirts, and even *shorts* ... I think the line is becoming more wearable ...

Anna Wintour had ... oh dear, what is her name, the socialite who has an occasional column in Vogue ... it's on the tip of my tongue ... test drive one of the stiffer gowns from last fall, and the feedback wasn't great.

cathy horyn (i think:blink:) said that a model in the showroom (housing the spring 2006 clothes) said her long white skirt was as comfortable as her blue jeans.

so....how can you hate rochas by olivier theyskens:P :heart:

^ i'll tell you how..
just try to have a look at his ss06 collection up close and maybe you will get persuaded.. the whole construction is wrong, the details are very very cheap, even the fabrics are wrong, thats mainly for the 'daywear' looks which seem as being manufactured by any slightly low budget, bad taste pret-a-porter company. I understand people being hyped by his looks and by catwalk but up close those clothes are a shame to be carrying the Rochas label, sorry

i totally adore how Theyskens looks (he's the cutest) but when seen up close his work for Rochas is a complete dissapointment (to me that is)

Well,I adore that he's at a house which allows more creative freedom and I love a couple collections(F/W 03 was his best,imo) but for me Theyskens was so much better when he was designing his own. The clothes were alot more immaculate and really,in true Belgian style,alot more thoughtful.

btw,what's he being cute have to do with anything at all? Just curious as that seems a superficial reason to love or hate him :D

Lena said:
^ i'll tell you how..
just try to have a look at his ss06 collection up close and maybe you will get persuaded.. the whole construction is wrong, the details are very very cheap, even the fabrics are wrong, thats mainly for the 'daywear' looks which seem as being manufactured by any slightly low budget, bad taste pret-a-porter company. I understand people being hyped by his looks and by catwalk but up close those clothes are a shame to be carrying the Rochas label, sorry

i totally adore how Theyskens looks (he's the cutest) but when seen up close his work for Rochas is a complete dissapointment (to me that is)

aw, Lena i'm sos sorry you feel that way..:( :flower:

but, to me it seemed the white linen ensembles which i saw were immaculately made..except the edgestitiching on a long linen coat..was off in one place:judge:

...a bustier dress looked like it was a pain to make, and some faille skirts were lovely too.
maybe it's the wearabilty that's bugging you, but i think with his last collection he proved that he can dress a younger woman (albeit a rich one:P), the short combos are so cute.

tuomas said:
There were also rumours of him going to Givenchy a few years ago, but the poor bastards hired Julien McDonald instead...

:lol: that was funny :flower:

All I can say is AUtumn Winter 2005-06, that collection was too beautiful for wortds.

Lena said:
^ i'll tell you how..

I wouldn't agree you if I didn't go to Barneys and look at his clothes closely. I could see how beautiful they were supposed to look, but I was quite disappointed by the details...small things like stitches, how the material lined up with the linings, etc.(unless he tried to do that, which I doubt). I have to try them on to tell the "construction", but the details are the killer.:(
I love, love, love the dress on FW06 runway that looks like cloud around the lower legs...I can imagine how the material flows...:heart:

I still appreciate Theysken's work but I feel like he has pushed the label into a more stuffy direction. It's becoming more of a generic french luxury label (although still elegant and thoughtful) which is good for business I suppose but not nearly as interesting as the first few seasons when Thyskens was first brought on.

And apparently he was offered a job at Givenchy but it ended up not working out because theykens "asked for too much money". He also mentioned that he wanted to wait for the right oppurtunity. Rochas was good for him because he could build it up almost from scratch since the house didn't have much of a presence or history.

I pesonally like what he is doing at Rochas much better than his personal line...although...I did like a lot of SS 02...
These dresses from that line were very creative and kind of sexy, I thought:
100051606.jpg

100051609.jpg

100051620.jpg

100051629.jpg

100051630.jpg

100051632.jpg

Caffeine said:
I wouldn't agree you if I didn't go to Barneys and look at his clothes closely. I could see how beautiful they were supposed to look, but I was quite disappointed by the details...small things like stitches, how the material lined up with the linings, etc.(unless he tried to do that, which I doubt). I have to try them on to tell the "construction", but the details are the killer.:(
I love, love, love the dress on FW06 runway that looks like cloud around the lower legs...I can imagine how the material flows...:heart:

Hmmmmm ... I wonder if he's having production problems, because as you say, no one's clothes move more beautifully on the runway.

Pastry, I agree that the clothes look more wearable now than those test-driven by Vogue. Maybe I will have a chance to form my own opinion when Barney's reopens here :P :wink:

I love love love everything Rochas, Lanvin and Balenciaga-the severe, black gothic-like clothes, the wonderfully inventive sihouettes-just perfect. Demi-couture Vogue US calls it-and it is just as wonderful as couture!

of course i love rochas and olivier! he is such a cutie (but gay). the clothes are super beautiful and unique. no designer makes that kind of clothes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dima77
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->