Yohji Yamamoto Menswear S/S 2024 Paris

Lovely :heart:.. remaining unaffected is how he excels over the rest. The layering is gorgeous as usual and the pants and jackets with the prints look like fun. Also... gotta acknowledge his great casting now more than ever.. every model looks completely different from one another, from very different origins and age groups, comfortably masculine, calmly confident, and for once not with this grating, victimizing 'omg finally someone like me, aka. me, having a moment :crying::pleading:' look stamped on their faces.

A strangely fun kind of collection that is a bit child-like in spirit, and the joy it has is a bit infectious. Love the cherub print for the silliness and what a great colour palette!

Oh bless him. ...All that’s missing is the abandoned trainyard setting, with the hobos— I mean models, kicking can while walking down the railroad tracks LOL

I get that Yohji is a deity in the industry and whatever he churns out will be gospel to the congregation. It’s just so hilariously up his own a55 at this point, that I’m not sure if he’s trolling you all (the print on a pant with the toilet…), or he’s romanticizing The Great Depression. It must be a Japanese thing: like the legions of Japanese denimheads that pay thousands to dress like a dockworker from the 1950s LMAO

^ not the Great Depression but workers in the 19th century. I don't want to misquote but he dives into that in the documentary Wim Wenders did about him in the 80s and it's the one thing that's been consistent throughout his career so it's not really a surprise, it's more of a surprise when it's diluted imo, and I think that anyone who has been interested in his work is interested for these elements, so naturally they will appreciate when he delivers them unadulterated and at their finest. It may look like indoctrination for someone who finds nothing in them, but then, what doesn't if you focus on the reaction more than on what people are reacting to? even good weather will look like gospel if you're just looking at people reacting to good weather and not enjoying it yourself.

I do appreciate that the romanticization of old sartorial codes for labour often comes with a sense of humor or just details that make it less serious, less cartoonish and more modern. It's what completely sets him apart from the ultra Western approach of someone like.. Paul Harnden, and his insufferable, dogmatic, uptight work that makes his customers look like they're trying to compensate a lack of identity with clothes instead of enriching it or expressing themselves through it.

^^^ Thanks Mullet. But he's offered better. This... come off very cartoonish Yohji, and maybe that's the point-- and further enforced with the prints.

I have a weak spot for Yohji. He can do no wrong in my eyes. Another great collection.

Yohji doing Yohji....I rather enjoyed this, the obsession with Americana caricatures seems very in line with the kind of Japanese obsession that fuelled Take Ivy and the importing of all those midcentury looms to Japan where the whole workwear/selvedge denim thing took off. Wouldn't wear it myself but it's not really meant for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->