Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche F/W 2001.02 Paris

This collection was made infamous by Ford's remark that on 9/11 , in spite of the great tragedy befalling NY the amount of women inquiring to YSL's boutique about those fabulous peasant blouses did not decrease one bit. The inordinate desire to be chic and well dressed knows no bounds...

Last edited:
Fabulous collection from Tom Ford who after a fabulous and very controversial first collection for YSL, « redeemed » himself. FW2001 was such an interesting and different season for Tom Ford overall (at Gucci too)...less agressive, more urban, less glamorous, sober and more sensual.
Almost 20 years later, it still looks relevant. Some of the accessories are maybe dated but most of this can still be worn today.
It’s funny but I feel like this collection is a bit Alaia-esque. Not that he has copied Tom but there’s a lot of similarities between this collection and what the master did in the mid to late 00´s.

This is the spirit of HF: Inspiration and absolutely aspirational.

You know, it’s amazing how back then, a longer and more modest silhouette still held to the high standard of remaining on a longer and leaner model. Unlike today, where with Maria Grazia’s longer skirts and coats look frumpy, wide and thicc even on models. Why this need to completely “represent’ the real world/'real women is why HF is dead.

Your HD posts of past glorious and still potent collections from the masters are highly appreciated, Yohji! (In 20 years time, no one will remember anything from JW, Virgil, Jacquemus, Maria Grazia and all these lessers.)

This collection has aged so well. Absolutely fabulous.

Fabulous collection from Tom Ford who after a fabulous and very controversial first collection for YSL, « redeemed » himself.

Dear Lola do you know more details about the audience booing during the runway? Very hostile....Were they Pierre Berge proteges?:unsure:

Dear Lola do you know more details about the audience booing during the runway? Very hostile....Were they Pierre Berge proteges?:unsure:
No it was for the first show that he was booed. This one actually was better received.

But apparently it was the photographers who initiated the booeing at the first show but I don’t have a lot of details from the first show.

Bergé attended the resort 2001 at a private viewing with Yves and the SS2001 RTW with Betty Catroux.

Berge was more hostile in private tho…

Tom really had a bad time in Paris which is a pity because he really became a great designer when he took over YSL. In terms of techniques and all…Even his work at Gucci benefited from that.

^^Me too, this was second collaboration from Carine & Meisel, non? Look at their MaxMara ads now, it just hurts my eyes!

^^I sort of love that "Mr. Writer" song for this show...

It's not his best for YSL, but it's still great. Looking back at Tom's YSL, I'm always struck by how nice the individual pieces are. There's always beautiful, thoughtful, considered and luxurious fabrications and finishings - interesting seams, stitches, trims, etc. - and everything always had such a delicate and elegant savoir faire.

These were (and still are, frankly) the kind of clothes that make for a great show when styled for the catwalk, but taken apart, they're items that can last in your wardrobe forever. Very chic.

Designers now simply do not think that way anymore. It's all about the total look for the 'gram, and the individual piece is besides the point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmarisMoonlover
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->