0000 Madame Grès Retrospective

glad you like her work and thank you for your :blush: comment softgrey :flower:

i promise, a last one from mme Gres (i couldnt resist)

termino_105.jpg

thanx Lena! :flower:
I was looking through the book from that Goddess exhibition at the Met and I loved the Madame Gres pieces, there was this one photo of her sitting and the bottom half of a model was next to her showing the back of a gown. It was stunning, simple except for the little bit of draping around the waist that hung down like a sash. I love how her pieces look as if they're carved, I mean, the draping looks too perfect to be real, you know what I mean? So beautiful, I'm actually working with an idea that takes a bit of influence from Madame Gres' use of drapery and classical dress.......

And again, great photos Lena...

isnt that Goddess book amazing?

great inspiration for you (and me ) spike
and you are very welcome indeed :flower:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 17th, 2004 - 6:12 pm

I wanted to get it sooo badly, but I didn't have the cash on me at the time.

There's a "Goddess" exhibit similar to the one at the Met going on at the moment at the ModeNatie Forum/Museum that houses Antwerp's academy. With the Olympics being at Athens,I think the entire world is fascinated by Grecian history.

Speaking of which,would she be Sophia Kokosalaki's spiritual guide?? Its remarkable how much these two-from completely different eras at that-have in common. Not the same,though. But they are the only ones I've seen,who have totally revolutionized,in completely modern proportions, the craft of grecian draping. And both are considered modernists,too.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 17th, 2004 - 7:12 pm

i :heart: :heart: :heart: that book.

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 17th, 2004 - 6:32 pm
:woot: Evening gown, ca. 1965
Madame Grès (French, 1903–1993)
White silk jersey;
Gift of Mrs. Oscar de la Renta, 1994

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
they don't make em like this anymore! :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by Scott@Jun 18th, 2004 - 1:51 am
There's a "Goddess" exhibit similar to the one at the Met going on at the moment at the ModeNatie Forum/Museum that houses Antwerp's academy.

i prefer to see an exhibit of mme Grès than the Goddess one scott (anyway i have the book so i dont care much)

taking of influences, it wasnt Sophia K. but Alexander McQ that came in mind :innocent:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 17th, 2004 - 6:12 pm
adorable mme Grès :heart:

bevw049.jpg
did marc jacobs use this for his last line?

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 17th, 2004 - 6:37 pm
Evening gown, 1967–85
Madame Grès (French, 1903–1993)
Cream silk jersey; :woot:

i think shes incredible, one of my fave designers of all time :blush:
and i wont start comments on how MUCH she's been copied
(..or by whom :innocent: )
oh. good catch lena. mcqueen for sure on this.

Last edited by a moderator:
mcqueen for sure on this.

exactly, from his fw04.05 collection :innocent:

MJ did the colour combination on the one you noted asta,
but i'm not sure about the shape :unsure:

thank you so much Lena. I absolutely adore Madame Gres (peeked briefly into her window on my lost way down rue st. honore) so thank you for posting pics! :flower: :blush:

Originally posted by Lena@Jun 18th, 2004 - 3:46 am
mcqueen for sure on this.

exactly, from his fw04.05 collection :innocent:

MJ did the colour combination on the one you noted asta,
but i'm not sure about the shape :unsure:
ah! you are right about the shape. the color combination is what really struck me as being similar.

thank you for the pictures!

incredible!
they are some of the most beautiful pleats I've seen :heart:

thanks for the pictures, Lena :flower:

Originally posted by Lena+Jun 18th, 2004 - 12:27 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Lena @ Jun 18th, 2004 - 12:27 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Scott@Jun 18th, 2004 - 1:51 am
There's a "Goddess" exhibit similar to the one at the Met going on at the moment at the ModeNatie Forum/Museum that houses Antwerp's academy.

i prefer to see an exhibit of mme Grès than the Goddess one scott (anyway i have the book so i dont care much)

taking of influences, it wasnt Sophia K. but Alexander McQ that came in mind :innocent: [/b][/quote]
Oh yes,I can see that as well...definitely. But purely on the form of revolutionizing grecian draping,they share something in common,I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Figedifug
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->