2006 Stella Contemporary Fashion Awards

jegg

Reaction score
Stella Contemporary Fashion Awards Update
Finalists announced for Swiss Textiles competition

Thursday, July 27, 2006

(ZURICH) The Stella Contemporary Fashion Awards, organized by the Swiss Textiles Association to support young, independent designers with financial backing at a critical point in their careers, have announced the six finalists for the seventh-annual Swiss Textiles Award. They include Anne Valerie Hash, Bruno Pieters, Doo-Ri Chung, Jonathan Saunders, Kaviar Gauche, and Kim Jones.

The finalists have been confirmed to appear in Zurich, Switzerland on November 17 for a fashion show extravaganza that will culminate with the announcement of one winner, who will receive a prize of approximately $127,256 to support their business. It will not be paid in cash.
Last month in Zurich, a Swiss Textiles-led panel reviewed the design talent, careers to-date, commercial potential, and numerous professional circumstances behind each of the names on the shortlist consisting of nominations from fashion industry experts. In order to have been considered, designers must have been active in the fashion market for at least four seasons, presented their collections at fashion weeks in Paris, London, Milan, or New York, have legitimate means of sales, and their label must already have garnered editorial attention in the fashion press. After narrowing down 15 designers, the final six designer contestants were selected.

This year’s nominating panel included 17 distinguished members of the fashion industry community, including Vogue’s Sally Singer, Sheikh Majed al-Sabah of the Villa Moda boutiques, Valerie Steele of the Fashion Institute of Technology, Saks Fifth Avenue’s Michael Fink, and Susannah Frankel of The Independent.

Past winners have included Christian Wijnants (2005), Haider Ackermann (2004), and Raf Simons (2003). More information is available at

www.stella-fashionawards.ch.

JIM SHI fashionweekdaily.com

It'll probably be Bruno if the Belgian trend continues.

I'm rooting for Doo Ri, let's hope her S/S 07 is strong enough, between Bruno Pieters and Anne Valerie Ash she has some HEAVY competition.

I think Bruno would deserve it, he could use it well to take a next step up in his career, hopefully in order to invest in a bigger show production (it's a pity that he isn't more widely known to buyers and editors) or doing the footwear that Lieven Bonne is designing for him... they are always awesome but never make it to production. Sad!

I am very surprised though to see Anne Valérie Hash on the last, she's been growing her business already, adding a footwear collection (same manufacturer as Lanvin, so I assume, the quantities are there), re-launching menswear and moving to a big, new headquarter. Her's is already a steady business, and I think she is already on her way to become one of the "established" names on the Parisian calendar.

She is on her way definately but I always get the impression she is close to the edge of financial collapse as well. No idea why considering she was picked up for HC but I do think she could use the money.

Bruno could as well definately use the money to grow in the ways you suggested tricot. Doo Ri is in the same boat as AVH in my books. Getting good/decent press, is growing her business, but i get the impression could collapse financially at any moment. I suppose all designers are on the brink though unless they are owned by a big company or are firmly well established.

Anne Valérie does have a good amount of clients under her belt, all the important Parisian shops stock her, for instance - Onward, Eclaireur, Maria Luisa, Galeries Lafayette, ... the list goes on. The impression I had was that they already did a good amount of investment lately, and I do happen to know that she does have a good amount of people working in her team permanently... unlike, for instance, Bruno Pieters where I can count them all by hand. I just simply hope that the award goes to someone that would honestly NEED the money and that could use it well.

yes yes, she is carried here as well by big shops Selfridges, Browns Focus, etc. etc. and she would obviously need to have a decent sized permanent staff to be allowed in by the chambre syndicale it was just the impression I got, however incorrect :flower: Love your input tricot

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crowbar69
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->