A Magazine #16 Curated by Alessandro Michele

russianelf

Reaction score

Cover: ‘Civita di Bagnoregio’ photographed by Giovanni Attili

This landmark issue of A Magazine unfolds over 280 pages of exclusive content developed by Alessandro Michele, preserving the ‘carte blanche’ free-reign concept devised by Walter Van Beirendonck in 2001. An unprecedented cast of international contributors were invited to express their creative perspective on a theme dear to Michele’s heart; each were offered the words ‘blind for love’ as the starting point for over forty distinct narratives that unfold throughout.

Contributors in alphabetical order:
Annie Leibovitz,
Ari Marcopoulos, Arianne Phillips, Bruce Weber, Catherine Opie, 
Chloë Sevigny, Christopher Simmonds, Cindy Sherman, Coco Capitán,
 Dakota Johnson,
 David Sims, Exactitudes,
 Fatima Ronquillo, Federico De Vera, Florence Welch, Frances Wilks,
 Gia Coppola,
 Giovanni Attili,
 Glen Luchford,
 Grace Coddington, Hannelore Knuts,
 Hari Nef,
 Inez Van Lamsweerde 
& Vinoodh Matadin, Jacqui Getty, Jared Leto,
 Jerry Stafford,
 Joe McKenna,
 John Currin,
 Justin Vivian Bond, Katerina Jebb, Madonna,
 Mariangela Gualtieri, Matthieu Salvaing, Max Pearmain,
 Nan Goldin,
 Nick Waplington, Nicolas Alan Cope, Paolo Di Paolo,
 Paul Hanlon, 
Petra Collins,
 Philip Mould,
 Ricky Saiz, Rowan Blanchard,
 Ryan McGinley,
Steven Klein,
 Tara St Hill,
 Tavi Gevinson,
 Terry Richardson, Unskilled Worker, Venetia Scott,
 Yadim,
 Zara Mirkin.

http://www.amagazinecuratedby.com/

god knows how uninteresting i find him to be, but that's an impressive list of contributors... (rolling my eyes at some, but overall, it's great). I guess i'll have to wait and see the actual content before deciding wether to buy it or not

So he got his lover to shoot the cover? Groundbreaking! It's an impressive line-up, and I'm personally looking forward to Nan Goldin and Philip Mould! But where is Dakota Johnson? And where are his peers? Will this be an issue filled to the brim with his clothes? What often strikes me odd about the new breed of designers is the lack of acknowledgement of their peers. In that MET documentary Gaultier and Kors fawned over the work of Galliano. That familiarity is actually quite nice.

Also, not a single black or Asian person in sight.....

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Dakota Johnson is in fact part of the contributors, 10th on the list.

I'm actually excited to see Hannelore in Gucci.

^ Dakota Johnson is in fact part of the contributors, 10th on the list.

I'm actually excited to see Hannelore in Gucci.

Thanks!! One more to look forward to, hope we'll be able to see some scans in this thread! :wink:

what a sad circus A has become... they should've folded when it was still good before downgrading to this. I actually like the amount of creativity and imagination of Alessandro's creations and had some hope it would actually explore that.. instead we got an "amazing" list of contributors that consists of Tavi, Terry Richardson, the 50 shades actress, Coco Capitan, one of the worst cases of celebrity nepotism Gia Coppola, the same overused photographers. Remember when Natasha Poly and Lara Stone were a new low for A for using mainstream/overexposed models?. Now they seem maybe too sophisticated and exclusive for this lol. I fear to think what's next for them...

^^^ Ha @the50shadeactress...

God... it's a fashion publication-- can they please stop being so self-serious and cringe-inducing and just word it as "edited by" instead of "curated by"...????

Well the cover photograph is utterly stunning.

I'm excited to see the content.

God... it's a fashion publication-- can they please stop being so self-serious and cringe-inducing and just word it as "edited by" instead of "curated by"...????
well originally 'curated by' made absolute sense since they were pretty much given blank pages to put anything they found influential or inspirational in their creative process (I want to be more eloquent here but I just ate so much and can't think :lol:), there didn't seem to be a sort of guideline or parameter for them to build a narrative on... which is what edited by means in Vogue Paris' end of the year issue, they're really just mildly touching what's already established.

Issues like Chalayan's or Branquinho's are not cringe-worthy at all as they lived up to the idea of the magazine and had an educational value that would've made 'edited' sound so vapid and out of place. This Kering commercial on the other hand.. even 'edited by' sounds too grand for what it actually is.

I'm having a little Alessandro Michele fatigue. He is great and i love what he is doing at Gucci but it's a little bit too much at this point.
Kering is pushing him so hard!

The line-up could have been a Tom Ford line-up in 2001. Hannelore, Terry, I&V...

I'm having a little Alessandro Michele fatigue. He is great and i love what he is doing at Gucci but it's a little bit too much at this point.
Kering is pushing him so hard!

The line-up could have been a Tom Ford line-up in 2001. Hannelore, Terry, I&V...

Oh, I agree! It's far too much, and this is coming from someone who actually admire his clothes. I feel like he's blowing his load all over the place, there's no pacing and direction at all. But then again, so is the industry which employ him. Unfortunately the digital age turned everything upside down, and we now must make do with each and every insufferable facet of these 'Jack-of-all-trades'. Won't be surprised if Demna have a similar deal bagged.

I don't hate the idea of guest editors per se, but 90% of all times it's simply an sensless additional outlet for these people, who don't seem to have much regard of their actual demographic. See VP.

Hari Nef by Inez & Vinoodh, makeup - Yadim

harinef @ twitter

I am seriously tired of his millennial pretentiousness. It's a no.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uppmuntra
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->