Adut Akech Bior

WSJ Magazine March 2020

DANCING IN THE STREETS
Photographer:
Mikael Jansson
Stylist: Lisa Jarvis
Hair: Rudi Lewis
Make-Up: Mark Carrasquillo
Models: Adut Akech, Mayowa Nicholas, Ayobami Okekunle, Fatou Jobe, Kyla Ramsey, Hamid Onifade & Adonis Bosso

WSJ Magazine Digital Edition

Vogue Australia April 2020

WONDER LAND
Photographer:
Emma Summerton
Stylist: Jill Davison
Hair: Alan White
Make-Up: Gillian Campbell
Model: Adut Akech

Vogue Australia Digital Edition

Adut Akech
South Sudan, Australia
In a little over three years, Akech has achieved just about everything you would expect to find on a model’s bucket list: campaigns for the likes of Valentino and Saint Laurent, countless magazine covers (14 of them for various Vogue editions around the world), turns on almost every major runway—she even landed the coveted finale spot as the bride in Chanel’s fall 2018 couture show. But more than being fashion’s most recognizable new face, the 20-year-old has emerged as one of the industry’s most important new voices. “Before I’m anything else, I am a refugee, and I’m so proud of that,” says the Brooklyn-based model, who was born in the war-torn area that is now South Sudan and raised in Kakuma, Kenya, in one of the world’s largest refugee camps, before moving to Australia with her family when she was eight. “I want to educate people on what that really means.” Akech did exactly that last December at The Fashion Awards in London—where she was named Model of the Year—with an impassioned speech that shed light on her extraordinary story and underscored the importance of representation in the industry. She’s now harnessing her influence to effect change in the wider world: When the bushfires broke out in Australia and she and four of her siblings were forced to evacuate their home in Adelaide, Akech called on the help of the fashion community to support fundraising efforts. “I wouldn’t use the words role model to describe myself,” says Akech. “I’m just doing and saying what I know best.”

vogue​

That is major. Congrats to her for completing the big 4.

US Vogue April 2020

ROCK STARS
Photographers:
Angelo Pennetta
Stylist: Alex Harrington
Hair: Mustafa Yanaz
Make-Up: Petros Petrohilos
Models: Adut Akech & Abby Champion

US Vogue Digital Edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads