Ajak Deng

Why-so-serious.jpg

catplanet.org

Valentino Haute Couture Spring 2019

_FIO0093.jpg

Vogue

I could cry seeing that face pop up at Valentino! Not only is she incredibly beautiful, she's just the sweetest girl as well. Such an amazing presence!

Vogue Germany March 2019

Athletic Grace

Photographer: Julia Noni
Stylist: Nicola Knels
Hair: Panos Panadrianos
Makeup: Frankie Boyd
Manicure: Eri Handa
Set Design: Grace Hartnett
Cast: Ajak Deng

Vogue Germany Digital Edition

Shop the Video

Whether she’s traveling to a photo shoot on a beach in Jamaica or walking the runway in Milan, on-the-go jetsetter Ajak Deng always has a suitcase at the ready. But constantly having to think about what to wear for different climates and cultures can stress even the most seasoned traveler. Luckily, Deng has come up with a unique way of addressing the challenge: “The day before you pack, make sure you meditate, know how you feel, know what outfits stick out to you in your mind.” she says. “I call it my closet meditation.” While Deng is currently curled up in a robe waiting to hit the wardrobe racks for today’s shoot at Neiman Marcus’ newest store (located in New York City’s Hudson Yards), she’s off to Paris for Fashion Week in the morning. (“I can't wait to have a baguette with ham and cheese,” she says).

She’ll bring all her staples: roomy wide-leg Frame pants comfy for long flights and sightseeing excursions, on-trend sneakers, and space-saving slip dresses (“So easy to pack!”) for nights on the town. As a model, she’s usually booked days and explores new cities by dark. “If some of my friends are in the same place, we'll meet up for a night out dancing,” she says. “I see the nightlife more often than the real life!”

Even when living out of a suitcase, Deng always manages to look pulled together. She loves color and breaks rules to mix hues however she likes. (“It’s like, don't worry, it's just how I felt today!” she says, with a laugh.) For spring pond-hopping, pastels are always in rotation, and even better if they’re versatile: Deng is just as likely to pair a pretty-in-pink denim jacket with a striped pant, as she is to roll up the sleeves and layer it over a form-fitting scoop-neck dress from Alice & Olivia.“This for date night,” she says of the dress. “The graphic pattern is so fun and flirty.” Cut-off shorts (she felt right at home in the Rag & Bone pair she wears in our video) and quality pieces, like an ultra-soft Vince tee and Theory’s Utility Dress (top it with a Rag & Bone fedora for stronger style statement, Deng advises), fit the model’s easy-breezy, yet stylish criteria.

One thing Deng doesn’t do is compromise her personal style to fit into her surroundings. “You know, I‘ve tried that, to kind of dress based on to the country I'm visiting. But it doesn't matter what I wear, it's still like, ‘You're not from here, are you?’” she admits. “So now I just wear what my soul wants to wear, what I feel says ‘This is me today!’”

Watch above as Deng reveals her tricks and tips on how to be your most stylish self on the road.

vogue

V Magazine
Heat Wave
Grant Greenberg - Director
Britt Berger - Fashion Editor/Stylist
Ben Skervin - Hair Stylist
Fulvia Farolfi - Makeup Artist
Ajak Deng - Model
Alexandra Agoston - Model
Alton Mason - Model
Elsa Hosk - Model
Hannah Ferguson - Model