Alex Turner

HeatherAnne

Reaction score
He's a lyrical genius and stylish enough to keep up with his fashionista girlfriend Alexa Chung, so it's time Alex got a proper thread!

40zmb.jpg

Alexander David Turner (born 6 January 1986, Sheffield, England) is an English musician and member of Arctic Monkeys and The Last Shadow Puppets. He is the vocalist and lead guitarist in both bands. He is the main songwriter in the Arctic Monkeys and shares writing duties in side-project The Last Shadow Puppets with Miles Kane.

Along with Andy Nicholson and Matthew Helders, Turner attended Stocksbridge High School, and together with his neighbour Jamie Cook, formed Arctic Monkeys in 2002. From his time working at the bar in local concert venues, Turner was "really annoyed [by] bands coming on and saying 'We've got CDs at the back for sale - three pounds each'... you'd think '**** off, who do you think you are?'". On this basis, Arctic Monkeys gave away free demo CDs at their gigs. Turner is believed to have started learning guitar because of the band that was one of his main influences, Oasis. Turner has always been the band's main songwriter, and his observations of inner city England have drawn comparisons to The Streets' frontman Mike Skinner. However, Turner has admitted that during the early days of the band "nobody wanted to admit they wrote [the lyrics] so we kept trying other singers so they'd do it for us." Despite enjoying songwriting, Turner shied away from acknowledgment because he "didn't want to have piss took out of [him]!" However, he has suggested that he has always enjoyed songwriting and that since getting his guitar, has spent most of his spare moments penning new lyrics, as "that’s what [he]'d feel comfortable doing. Describing the manner in which he constructs his lyrics, Turner says

"I'll think about something and I'll be writing, penning something down and I'll keep building on that. The best stuff comes when I’ve got a melody and a rhythm so I know how many syllables each line is going to have and then build it up from there, and make it a whole thing, and try and pay attention to every aspect."

In August 2007 plans were announced for Turner to record an album with Miles Kane and producer James Ford. Kane, of Arctic Monkeys support act The Rascals, announced the project on 2 August 2007. The project features Turner and Kane sharing vocal, guitar and bass duties with Ford playing drums. Owen Pallett also features on the album. The duo have called themselves The Last Shadow Puppets, the album is called The Age of the Understatement, and was released on the 21 April 2008 and reached the number one spot in its first week. They recently did a small tour backed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra, starting at Portsmouth Guildhall on 19 August 2008.

Turner worked with Dizzee Rascal on the song "Temptation" from Dizzee Rascal's album Maths and English. He also worked with Dizzee Rascal on a different version of the same song "Temptation Greets You Like Your Naughty Friend" which featured on the "Brianstorm" single. Turner also features in the Reverend and the Makers song "The Machine" and features on guitar in the song "The Machine" from their debut album The State Of Things, on which he also co-wrote some of the songs with McClure. NME reported that Turner was working with Alison Mosshart of The Kills. He appears on Tony Christie's album Made in Sheffield, playing "Only Ones Who Know". In October 2008, Turner made his debut as a short story writer, performing spoken word track "A Choice of Three" on his bandmates' compilation Late Night Tales: Matt Helders.

Turner used to play a Fender Olympic White American standard Stratocaster, and later a black Mexican standard Fender Stratocaster guitar, both sporting maple fretboards, until the release of the band's single "Brianstorm" and the second album Favourite Worst Nightmare. When touring the new album he uses a black Fender Bronco with a black pickguard and rosewood fretboard, a guitar discontinued by Fender. Also, during live performances of "If You Were There, Beware", he uses a Gretsch Spectra Sonic baritone and a Martin F-65 on Da Frame2R. During the earlier days he used Orange AD30T and Vox AC30 CC2X amplifiers. Now he uses a Selmer Zodiac 30 watt for clean tones and a Fender Vibroverb for more distorted tones. During the Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not-era Turner's pedalboard consisted of two Pro Co Rat 2 distortion pedals, Boss TU-2 tuner and a Danelectro Reel Echo. Now, touring Favourite Worst Nightmare, he has replaced the ProCo pedals with an Ibanez Ts-808 Vintage Tubescreamer overdrive pedal. He has also extended the pedalboard with a Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere MK2, a Morley Footswitch and a Boss LS-2 Line Selector to go between his Selmer and Fender. He also had an Electro Harmonix Memory Man on his pedalboard used by his friend Miles Kane on 505 and Plastic Tramp live performances. Turner was recently spotted at the Big Day Out festival in Australia with a sunburst finish Fender Jazzmaster, and it seems that instead of using the Fender Vibroverb and the Selmer Zodiac 30, Turner is only using the Selmer. Turner also changed his pedalboard a little bit, getting rid of his Danelectro Reel Echo and his Hughes & Kettner Rotosphere MK2 and replacing them with a Boss DM-1, and a Cornell First Fuzz. He also uses his Morley footswitch to switch between his amp channels and his Line Selector to switch between guitars and organs. In summer 2009 he used an Ovation Viper on songs from the debut album while using his Jazzmaster on newer songs; he still used his Gretsch on "If You Were There, Beware". Despite all, he didn't play guitar as much as before, but just took his micro and walked around the stage singing songs like "Leave Before The Lights Come On" and "505", in which he used to play guitar. His pedalboard has changed too, it consisted of Boss Delay Machine DM-1, Morley Footswitch ABY, MXR Micro Amp, Ibanez Tubescreamer T808, Coopersonic Valveslapper, Boss Chromatic Tuner, Electro Harmonix Holy Grail and Electro Harmonix Hum Debugger.

Turner has maintained a very private life, and shunned media publicity when declared the Coolest Man On The Planet by NME magazine in December 2005. Blender magazine has described him as "the least talkative member of the group, chewing over his answers for so long that he ends up doubting his own words".

Previous to recording 'Favourite Worst Nightmare', Alex dated former Totalizer vocalist Johanna Bennett, with whom he wrote 'Fluorescent Adolescent'.

Alex has been dating the television presenter Alexa Chung since July 2007. In October 2008 they moved into a house together in East London. In April 2009 it was reported that Alex would follow girlfriend Alexa to the United States where she would have her own tv show - It's On with Alexa Chung. The move was confirmed in July 2009 when in an interview for The Guardian, Simon Armitage mused that "Maybe it [was] only since moving to Brooklyn that [Turner] finally [felt] comfortable with who and what he is."

wikipedia.com & pic from thesun.uk

Last edited by a moderator:
He's hot, though I don't really care for Arctic Monkeys (I love The Last Shadow Puppets, though).

His new hair is also growing on me.

Woohoo, i know this thread is already going to be a classic. His style is impeccable and i shall subscribe lol

Sidenote: The Last Shadow Puppets are great!!

First pictures together? November 2007
via Alexa's thread (artcticmonkeysonline)

More from November 2007
Alexa's TFS thread via thesun.uk

South Bank Awards at the Dorchester January 2008
gettysimages

At Heathrow Airport in November 2008
zimbio

Always thought the looked awesome here, love that blazer.

This thread would not be complete without this outfit, ha

Nick O'Malley and Jamie Cook of the Arctic Monkeys. Brit Awards held at Earls Court - Arrivals. London, England - 20.02.08
contactmusic.com

1q4lmr.jpg
24y3jmf.jpg

That gray blazer in post #7 is soo awesome. I like the brown duffel he's carrying too. Can anyone ID both or atleast one of those 2 items please?

I can't believe he didn't have a thread yet :judge:

I personally prefer Arctic Monkeys to The Last Shadow Puppets like 10 times :lol:

Thank you HeatherAnne! :heart:

:shifty:

thanks HeatherAnne for starting this thread! Love his style!

he looks great in that blazer. thank you for starting this thread! i've always loved his style. simple but definitely stylish. his clothes always fit him perfectly.

alexa-chung-and-alex-turner-0209.jpg

2578362900_008dbbb8f2_o.jpg

pics: cavalera.com, rajce.idnes.cz

anyone know what kind of jeans those are? he wears them all the time. love the fit and so does my boyfriend.

riddles - google images is not a validate source, you have to post the place the pictures came from or else they will have to be deleted

here are our crediting rules guidelines :flower:

girl harma to you for started this tread. I love his style , esp. now when he has those hair which suit him very much.

They have both been posted on arcticmonkeys.com/forum..maybe you can use that as a credit?

he looks so so cute with his hair the way it was in those pics you guys posted
i cant get over how awful his hair look now
and wow, i cant beleive it has been 2 years him and alexa are together, it seems like it was yesterday..

I have lots of pictures of his style through out the years, however I have no idea who to credit for the pictures as I've had them for so long now :doh:

Can I do the unspeakable and post them without credit :ninja::unsure:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kaykaystake
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->