Alexander Skarsgard

^I downloaded all 7 episodes and for what I watched so far it´s a great show, even without the eye candy that is Alex lol

Premiere of True Blood- Love this pic

88387829.jpg

same

Last edited by a moderator:
a little Q&A

Ex-child actor plays vampire and soldier
askars001.jpg
MANILA, Philippines—At 13, Alexander Skarsgard was a child actor in Sweden who wasn’t comfortable with the limelight. So the son of veteran character actor Stellan Skarsgard quit and spent seven years as a “normal” youngster. But he missed acting, so he eventually moved to New York for theater studies.

Alexander recently appeared as Sgt. Brad “Iceman” Colbert in the HBO miniseries “Generation Kill” and as enigmatic vampire Eric Northman in HBO’s ongoing series “True Blood.” Following are excerpts from a roundtable phone interview with the actor, arranged by HBO Asia.

How open to interpretation is your vampire character? Did you look at screen vampires for inspiration?
Yeah, when I did my research, I re-watched movies that I’ve seen, like the old “Nosferatu” with Max Schreck from the ’20s, Bela Lugosi’s “Dracula,” and Werner Herzog’s “Nosferatu” from the ’70s. Obviously, Eric Northman’s quite a different character. But diving into that old culture of vampirism was to get my creativity and inspiration going, basically. When you create a world with vampires, it’s up to you if you wanna do the whole thing with crosses or garlic or what happens when a vampire meets the sun. We hung on to a couple of those, but some of them we just dismissed. So it’s very open to interpretation …

How much did playing “Iceman” Colbert affect the way you looked at war and the US Marines?
My take on the war in general didn’t change much. My opinion was, it was a mistake to go into Iraq. That has not changed at all. What you see in the media is very polarized, very censored in a way, what’s going on in Iraq or Afghanistan. So for me at least, this was the first experience where I actually got to see it from the perspective of the boots on the ground, what the soldiers went through on a daily basis out there.

But some of them are just kids, with dreams and hopes, and families back home. Also, a guy like Colbert, one of the senior guys, he really believes in what he’s doing and coming into Iraq. He has a mission, he knows how to execute it … and he really believes this is a good cause. Being Colbert the leader, he had to stay focused and keep his guys motivated. And for me, as an actor, it’s a very interesting thing to play on.

Describe your bond with your “Generation Kill” costars, and how it developed.
We were so isolated. Being out in the Namibian desert was so surreal. It felt like you’re stuck on a different planet … Suddenly, you embark on this journey; you’re gonna be out there for seven months with people that you’ve never met before. You’ve got a huge script in your hands with tons of words that you don’t even understand and you have two days to make them your own and be this character. Then you see all these big Marine guys, “All right, get ready for boot camp!” Then you’re out running and, “What’s going on?” It was scary and you felt like a little kid.

People would really open up when they’re bored. In just a few weeks, I knew more about these guys’ family lives than I knew some of my friends’ that I’ve known for years!

And that made acting much easier?
It really did. In a way, I think it was good that we were that isolated because the guys we portrayed were also isolated and in an environment that was new to them. If we had shot this in California, in the desert outside of Los Angeles, they could just drive back to their families. It would have been a completely different experience.

oh my god - you post at ONTD?! I love the Alexander Skarsgard epic posts that go on there and they all go on and on about how big he is and how he is a god :lol: I pretty much check in daily for them. SO funny. I love all the little .gifs and the combination of awesome funny posts and Skarsgard.

But am I the only one who finds him somewhat unphotogenic? I mean, of course he looks good in photos, but I find his attractiveness comes across much better on film than in photos. Something about his features don't seem the same in a static photo as they do on TV/film.

Yeah Meg, I feel the same way. Did anyone else notice that his head is too small for his gigantic body? lol

i love ONTD epic true blood post lol. hes not photogenic but hes stunning. i think he looks better with short hair like in generation kill. i cant believe he was meekus in zoolander. i hope he'll be in a movie soon i need to see his sun god looks on a giant screen.

^^I love Zoolander! I want Meekus´Warhol painting lol
Did he get the role in Generation Kill because of True Blood or was it the other way around? I mean, did Eric cut his hair because he was growing it after GK?

id like a meekus painting too. "earth to meekus" ... lol

GK was before True Blood. the long hair was a wig.

Yeah Meg, I feel the same way. Did anyone else notice that his head is too small for his gigantic body? lol

Most tall people have that problem lol. I noticed it on Gemma Ward when she filled out - her head looked so tiny compared to the rest of her body. But it wouldn't be that great if his head was bigger. Robert Pattinson's head is proportional to the size of his body but it looks gigantic when he is posing next to Kristen Stewart. Or maybe that's just because his hair is always big.

My boyfriend is tall (about 6'3) and I don't find he has a weird head/body ratio. But oh, do I love tall boys :heart: Obviously :lol: I agree his hair looks great short, I loved his GK hair and the short-ish hair he sports now in TB.

GK was the best show i've seen for ages since the wire, oh and i love this pic :rofl:

2080926470_6950eba35f.jpg

2080141905_24deebeae7.jpg

maggmo@Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amine7
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"