Alterations in NYC

Arthur77

Reaction score
I have a Junya Watanabe black trench coat that is a little big on me, and I'm looking to have it altered to a slimmer/tighter fit.

Can someone recommend a good tailor in NYC that will be up to the job? A tailor that does high quality work and also knows enough about fashion so that when I ask for someting close to a Dior Homme-type silhouette, he/she will know what I'm talking about.

Thanks. :D

That's so funny you should post this. I was just thinking, I better retrieve that Vitals magazine from the recycling bin and at least tear out the page referring to the 'best' tailors in NYC. Here are editor Joe Zee's pics:

For Minor alterations:
Madame Paulette 212.838.6827

But to make a suit or custom shirts:
Eva Deveesery - 212.751.6091 or
Piccione Custom Tailors - 212.421.2820

However, being as this is from Vitals mag, I don't know if Joe Zee favors more traditionally-minded tailors - they may not pass your Dior knowledge qualifications. In my experience, more than a few designer friends go to Dynasty Tailors on 6 East 38th Street, between Madisonand Fifth Avenues 212-679-1075. They've done work for Vogue magazine as well as made samples for a few of my designer friends runway shows. I can't remember what I had Dynasty do, but while they do a good job (I don't recall being annoyed, which I would remember :P) they're not cheap either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Arthur, if you want someone that really knows the DH look I'd recommend Ignacio's. I believe they're at 59th and... Park. You can confirm by calling the Dior store.

They are who the Dior NYC store uses for alterations and such. I've had a coat altered down from a 54 to a 50 by them (the herringbone coat from VotC) and it was perfect. Pricing is pretty reasonable as well... set me back $130ish with about a 7 day turnaround!

If you want that DH look, I'd say they'd know it more than any other tailor since they work so closely with the Dior store!

Part of my reason for posting in this thread was so I would subscribe to it, and get to see what tailors everone used! Chinor1z, that sounds like the perfect example - going down two sizes is not easy, and if they already know the look, that's great! I may have to keep them in mind as well, although my pieces don't need the same work.

Or.... maybe they do.

Chinor1z, do you recall if they shortened the sleeves of your coat, and if so, did they do so from the ends of the sleeves, or did they have to narrow the shoulders and reset the sleeves as well? I have a jacket that needs the sleeves to be reset at a shorter length, and I'm maniacal about possible puckering when people set in coat sleeves.

I went to Ignacio before and come to think of it, I dont feel too comfortable with his care free attitude anymore especially with big items like suit jackets or coats. all he does is take a quick zip at you with some pins which he just lazily puts pins on and may not even be symmetrical on both sides, and he isnt even the one who does the alterations, his minions by the window do it all.

I have had a few suits tailored at Ignacio before (through Dior Homme), and they came back amazing. However, they pinned me at Dior...

mb117 said:
I have had a few suits tailored at Ignacio before (through Dior Homme), and they came back amazing. However, they pinned me at Dior...

What do you mean by 'pinned you' at Dior???:blink:

The man at the store put the pins in the suit where it was to be altered

mb117 said:
The man at the store put the pins in the suit where it was to be altered
Did they include that in the price of the suit, or were you charged extra for the alterations? I know at Jeffrey, they used to offer me the service free to allow me to buy items that didn't fit perfectly.

I believe it was included, but I would have to check my bill to be certain.

EdK said:
I went to Ignacio before and come to think of it, I dont feel too comfortable with his care free attitude anymore especially with big items like suit jackets or coats. all he does is take a quick zip at you with some pins which he just lazily puts pins on and may not even be symmetrical on both sides, and he isnt even the one who does the alterations, his minions by the window do it all.

It actually might be a sign of great experience.

Good thread, Arthur, thanks for starting it!

faust said:

QUOTE]

may be so.. but most of the time.. I found that it is NOT the case. What is it with all these people getting treated badly and thinking they are getting good experience and deal.. WHAT EVER

like i said, all he does is pin you, and the pins may be 1 1/2 inches on one side and 2 on the other, its gonna end up uneven. 2nd hes not the one that does the alterations, so what if he has good experience? he aint the one cutting and sewing your clothes, and his minions alter it exactly based on the pins, so i dunno how reliable it will be int he long run

faust said:

Good thread, Arthur, thanks for starting it!

Last edited by a moderator:
EdK said:
like i said, all he does is pin you, and the pins may be 1 1/2 inches on one side and 2 on the other, its gonna end up uneven. 2nd hes not the one that does the alterations, so what if he has good experience? he aint the one cutting and sewing your clothes, and his minions alter it exactly based on the pins, so i dunno how reliable it will be int he long run

alterations can often be uneven to make up for asymmetries of your body (eg, one arm longer than the other, one shoulder dropped more than the other). the pinning would have to be uneven since off-the-rack suits are cut symmetrically.

i've had good luck at Peppino's at 61st and Lexington. my dior suit came out very nicely. one thing to watch out for is sleeve lengths. i would recommend asking him to baste them so you can check them (wear a proper dress shirt in to make sure things come out right).

lol....... what are you the hunchback of notre dame? no ones body is that distorted that clothes need to be cut uneven like that. and anyways thats not his intention, hes just lazy about it.

amblus said:
alterations can often be uneven to make up for asymmetries of your body (eg, one arm longer than the other, one shoulder dropped more than the other). the pinning would have to be uneven since off-the-rack suits are cut symmetrically.

i've had good luck at Peppino's at 61st and Lexington. my dior suit came out very nicely. one thing to watch out for is sleeve lengths. i would recommend asking him to baste them so you can check them (wear a proper dress shirt in to make sure things come out right).

baklanyc said:
Part of my reason for posting in this thread was so I would subscribe to it, and get to see what tailors everone used! Chinor1z, that sounds like the perfect example - going down two sizes is not easy, and if they already know the look, that's great! I may have to keep them in mind as well, although my pieces don't need the same work.

Or.... maybe they do.

Chinor1z, do you recall if they shortened the sleeves of your coat, and if so, did they do so from the ends of the sleeves, or did they have to narrow the shoulders and reset the sleeves as well? I have a jacket that needs the sleeves to be reset at a shorter length, and I'm maniacal about possible puckering when people set in coat sleeves.

I also had my coat pinned at Dior by the woman who does primarily tailoring for the women's Dior line (Liz I believe is her name). They then walked it over to Ignacio's for me. If you have a good SA at Dior, I'd recommend you do this based on what EdK says Ignacio himself does in terms of pinning.

They did indeed shorten the sleeves of the coat and they narrowed the shoulders (a decrease of around 1.5-2" overall!), took up the sleeves at the shoulders, and narrowed the total width of the sleeve as Liz had pinned them.

In my coat there is zero puckering and it matches the cut and dimensions of my regular 50 coat from Dior.

Keep in mind that the piece I had done was a very supple herringbone coat. I see no puckering, but the material of the coat is loose in general, not like a suit. I'd talk with the people at Dior and ask them about their experiences going to Ignacio's for suits.

Hope that helps!

-A

Anyone know if its possible to tighten the collar size on a dress shirt. if so, any reccomendations for a tailor in nyc to do it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ross640
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->