photographer: Chris Nicholls
fashion editor: Carlene Higgins

elite

Wonderland
"Altered Images"
photographer: Alastair Strong

alastairstrong

Interview for Wonderland online plus new images

''We had the pleasure of catching up with the lovely Amanda Nimmo from Storm Models – who you can also spot in our current issue.

How and when did you become a model?

I got scouted in Ottawa – I was walking to my friend’s house. It’s funny because I said “no” at first, but when I was joking around with my friend about it, she was interested so looked it up. I saw two of my school friends were also modelling and were currently in Greece I so decided to go and meet with the agency. My first trip was to the Toronto agency where I started modelling and getting a lot of work. I was still in high school so starting in Toronto worked well as I could go back and forth.

What were you doing before modelling?

I was at high school. I started modelling during 12th grade but did it quite secretly. None of my teachers were aware until graduation. They were surprised and found it funny when I told them what I had been doing as I’m the girl always in sweat pants and never brushing my hair!

What do you like to do when you’re not modelling?

In other cities, I like to explore and check out other neighbourhoods. I take the train somewhere and do day trips, which are always sick. I also do some touristy things. If I’m at home I spend time with my family and friends and enjoy going out in my native Canada. Riding my bike in the summer and skating every winter.

Where are you based?

In my suitcase – I’m literally living out of it. I haven’t unpacked and I don’t think I will!

What’s your favourite film?

I watched FernGully recently, which made me remember how much I liked it! It’s a cartoon film about a woodland pixie. It’s weirdly hippyish and really kind of trippy. I was more enthralled than my younger cousin. It’s definitely a childhood classic and I would definitely recommend it.

What books do you enjoy reading?

I like a lot of Canadian history books. I like factual books. I hate romantic books.

What shows did you walk in last season?

I did the full schedule for New York and Paris but only Giles in London and Just Cavalli in Milan. It was nice to have a couple of days off in London, as I really like this city. It reminds me of the West Coast and Canada. Just little things about this place, it kind of fits. I like all the big cities for different reasons, the crepes in Paris and the burgers in New York. I find there is something special about wherever you are.

What’s your favourite item of clothing?

It would definitely be a comfy hoodie. I always travel with one. I also have an eagle -headed ring I got in Canada, which is special.

What has been your favourite fashion project so far?

I think one of my favourites was a job that took us to Tofino in Canada, which is one of the best surfing towns. I got to stay in a hippy, surfing place, which was beautiful. It was like a little vacation.

What would you like to do more of in the future?

I definitely want to go back to Canada and study. I want to be a general animal scientist and also study agricultural science.

Photographer David Adams
Fashion Editor and words Francesca Prudente
Hair Lotte O’Shea using BUMBLE & BUMBLE
Make up Emily Mergaert using YSL
Model Amanda Nimmo at STORM MODELS
Portrait: white body by LOUIS VUITTON Three images: white body by LOUIS VUITTON, suede jacket AMANDA’S OWN''

wonderlandmagazine

Oscar de la Renta Resort 2013

00230fullscreen.jpg

style.com

By TAYLOR HARRIS

amanda_nimmo05.jpg

amanda_nimmo06.jpg

Perhaps the most organized model on the planet, Amanda Nimmo is holding a map of Manhattan, tiny yellow stickers dotted across it. “I use them during fashion week to mark where I need to go,” she says. “I write like ‘#1,’ ‘#2,’ ‘#3’ on them so I know the order of the castings. My booker saw it and was like, ‘Oh my god, you have OCD.’” The system must be working; the 18-year-old DNA-repped beauty turned it out with her debut season, booking 15 fall shows including Peter Som, Giles, Chloé, the latter which she closed. WWD caught up with the Canadian stunner — icy blue gaze, full pout and all.

How long have you been modeling?
I started full time when I graduated high school last June so it hasn’t been a full year yet. I was scouted the year earlier but I didn’t really do anything while I was in school, just a couple jobs here and there. I was one of those people who really loved high school. I wanted to finish and be happy with my grades so I decided to concentrate on that.

You’re 5-foot, 9-and-a-half-inches tall. Were you that height when you were scouted?
Yeah, I had an early growth spurt — I shot up in seventh grade. I used to have these huge chubby cheeks then, too, but when I spurted up they sort of thinned out. I recently ran into some people I hadn’t seen since I was a kid and they were like, ‘Amanda? Is that you?’

What was your very first shoot?
A little campaign for Aldo. I remember being so taken by everything, like, this is what I do? And when they told me I was getting $1,000 for the shoot and I was like, ‘Holy crap! Why am I getting paid to do this?’ It was my first real paycheck.

Has modeling gotten easier since then?
Yeah, I was actually just talking to my roommate about this. You would think you either have it or you don’t, but I’ve definitely gotten a lot better since I started. I think my main thing was feeling comfortable enough to get creative with the poses and taking the story and putting what you’re doing into that context. Looking back, I probably looked so awkward. I was loving it but I’m sure everyone else was like, ‘Oh god…’

You missed the spring 2012 shows due to visa issues, so this past February was your first time doing a full round. How’d it go?
Doing all the cities was wicked. I really enjoyed it. Half of it is that I got really lucky with my roommates. I already knew all the girls so we’d just come home and exchange horror stories from the day.

What kind of horror stories?
Like one of us would come home at 3 a.m. and be like, ‘I’ve been in a fitting for five hours.’ We all texted each other with things like, ‘Been sitting here for three hours, still waiting, client hasn’t shown up.’ Then we’d get home and whip out our food, have a feast and go to bed.

What was the worst modeling story you’ve heard?
I was on the 5 a.m. flight from London to Milan and the whole plane was full of models. At customs, they said, ‘Uh, no. None of you can come into the country.’ We all had jobs that day but we all didn’t have work visas. No one told us we needed them. It was my first time in Milan for fashion week but apparently if you have an invitation from your agency, it all works itself out somehow. So they put us all in this small waiting room; there must have been 25 of us. We were sitting there for hours. I was thinking, ‘So, is Milan Fashion Week just not going to happen?

So what happened?
The agencies ended up taking care of it so they let us go one by one.

wwd.com

277.jpg

Amanda for Flare / Hair & make-up: Tony Masciangelo

management.elitemodel.fr

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ericbaig68
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"