Ann Demeulemeester to Exit Label

Koibito

Reaction score
ANTWERP, Belgium — BoF has learned that Ann Demeulemeester is set to depart the fashion label bearing her name. “A new time is coming both for my personal life and the brand Ann Demeulemeester,” wrote the designer in a handwritten letter that was distributed online.

The brand now has “its own identity and legacy that is able to continue growing with out me,” she wrote.

One of the original “Antwerp Six” designers, Demeulemeester has built a successful business around her gothic, bohemian-inspired collections.

businessoffashion

After Jil Sander left her brand again, this is too much to handle.

Noooo :cry: Why are all the good ones going? Make it stop :cry:

Fears of her brand plummeting, like the Margiela brand has, dance in my head.

Very bummed to hear this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Noooo :cry: Why are all the good ones going? Make it stop :cry:

Because high fashion has been cheapened and lowered its standards of creativity (but not the prices) like everything else in the last several years and it's become all about branding. Just look at the rise of the new designers hailed as the next guard...

Anyway, Ann leaving is a genuine surprise.

Her reasons for leaving are her own, of course. It's disappointing another fashion leader has left. She was truly admirable in her approach to her craft and business, art and commerce. Even after all these years, her label remained just the mainline without ever cashing in on all the standard diffusion lines that even the likes of Yohji and Rei couldn't resist. There never was a perfume and cosmetic line as well. Not that had she developed these other ventures, she would have been any less of a designer, but the fact that she never did, is truly a rare trait to see in any individual in her position and I find that a beyond admirable trait in this industry.

Her touch will be missed, and I hope she will return in time.

This is such a surprise, her aesthetic is going to be missed.

OMG I'm so sad, I don't want to believe this! :cry: I hope she's not leaving fashion altogether.
Even if there are dozens of young talents copying her style, I can't imagine anyone else taking over the Ann D brand, although that Sebastien guy (I can never remember his name) is doing a good job with the menswear. Ugh, this is terrible news.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is very sad, though I respect her decision to leave and try out other ventures. I really hope the successor doesn't totally mishandle the brand, like HeatherAnne said, all I can think about is Margiela.

:cry:
Oh...this is very sad...
But we have to respect an artist's decisions...
I hope she is doing well in her life otherwise.
Looking forward to future artistic projects...although...she is such a great fashion designer that it's hard to imagine her being AS great in another medium...

Sigh...

Oh god, I'm really dreading this :(

I wonder if she has plans to go into the art business, maybe start her own gallery. I remember reading somewhere that she has always wanted to do that. I wish her all the best!

i guess this means they are going to expand the brand a lot.

i hope she creates a new brand. my guess is there may be a non-compete clause and she may be absent for a year...

hhaha...
good for her!

it's a good time to go...

leave the circus to the freaks and geeks...
^_^

This is the worst possible news. Ann is one of the few designer whose approach on fashion I've always admired, she always did her own thing and did it so well. I'm going to miss her wonderful dark collections.:cry:
I really hope she's not going to leave fashion permanently.

Well, that was definitely unexpected and really sad. Wishing Ann only the best for her future!

Because high fashion has been cheapened and lowered its standards of creativity (but not the prices) like everything else in the last several years and it's become all about branding. Just look at the rise of the new designers hailed as the next guard...

Anyway, Ann leaving is a genuine surprise.

Her reasons for leaving are her own, of course. It's disappointing another fashion leader has left. She was truly admirable in her approach to her craft and business, art and commerce. Even after all these years, her label remained just the mainline without ever cashing in on all the standard diffusion lines that even the likes of Yohji and Rei couldn't resist. There never was a perfume and cosmetic line as well. Not that had she developed these other ventures, she would have been any less of a designer, but the fact that she never did, is truly a rare trait to see in any individual in her position and I find that a beyond admirable trait in this industry.

Her touch will be missed, and I hope she will return in time.

I wouldn't be surprised if this came about now she's leaving - Ann Demeulemeester eye shadow for TopShop.. and what about an H&M collaboration? The new Margiela sacrilegiously thought it fit to collaborate, why not Ann?
House morals are passé, it's now solely about raking it in.

The brand is unique and Ann will be sorely missed, I hope they find someone to continue her beautiful dream.

I'm surprised, but I am happy for her that she feels she accomplished what she set out to do, and is ready for new challenges. I'm curious to see what she does next.

I hope the brand doesn't falter, but nothing lasts forever...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jozwiakanja
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->