Are the people in the industry superficial?

madeline20

Reaction score
I'm really into fashion and art and thinking of majoring in Fashion Marketing or such in college. Anyhow I'm a little worried that people in the industry are really superficial and 'fake' (I don't want to offend anyone), am I totally wrong?? I love clothes and shopping but still appreciate genuine and smart people who have other than material values.

What do you guys think? What is the most 'intelligent' field in Fashion? :D

definitely stay away from the model agencies...
model bookers are probably the worst of the bunch..

a lot of them are... its rare to find people working in fashion that are down to earth... you usually find them in belgium, though.

iv been studying fashion for the last 5 years and im yet to come across a nice person in the industry. people are fickle in the world of fashion. they may make out they are your friend but its everyone for themselves in this business. remember who you are competing against.

i know it may sound harsh and im sure people will say im wrong but thats the feel i have got along the way.

Here's something you might find interesting:
http://stylebites.blogspot.com/
It's a blog of a stylist. You get to see what it's like in her shoes. She writes something scary about shops she has to go into when she has to borrow clothing for a photo shoot.

Of course not everyone will be superficial. There are people who are still interested in the "craft" of things. You just have to know who's who, stay around the nice ones, and be nice (just in case) to the mean ones.
You could read the blog entry "Evil Shop Assistants." It's in the May archive, and it shows what happens when you're nice to a mean person :D It's smart anyway to be nice to everyone. You don't want to be blacklisted :lol:

By the way, I guess i'm not so exposed to this kind of superficial behaviour. I work in textiles and with crafts people, so it's really always about "work" rather than the appearance of a person (Is that what you meant by superficial? How a person looks/dresses?). You said 'fake' --I don't understand...

Before fashion, I spent many years in both banking and real estate and I can honestly say that people in fashion are really no different than anyone else. Those who actually succeed in fashion are not superficial ... they are hard drivien individuals who focus on what they must to do to be successful. Just like in ANY business ... some are ruthless and cut throat, some are lazy, some are insecure and some put on a big show to proove their worth because they feel inadequate. And many, many people are just nice folks with a life outside of their work. The main difference is that people in fashion tend to dress more flamboyantly ... not necessarily better.

I will say that fashion often draws a certain "type" who is all about the glamour rather than wanting to actually work but they don't last long in the biz. But then I've seen that same type in banking an real estate ... and they don't last long there, either.

I've made some good friends in the fashion industry and actually see them outside of work ... doing real people things like seeing movies, having dinner, going to art museums and shows, going to the beach, hiking and shopping to name a few activities. And I've met a lot of people that I didn't like on a personal level ... but I stay positive about my work and do my job ... the same way I was when I was selling houses or supervising bank tellers.

softgrey said:
definitely stay away from the model agencies...
model bookers are probably the worst of the bunch..
I don't agree. There's lots of nice ones that I consider friends. I hang out with them on my own time doing things non fashion related. With that said, I think like any other field - there are people you don't like. Some will have much in common with you and some you will look at like they're from another planet. I personally don't think there is a big difference between this field and others.

madeline20 said:

Good question! At the moment one of my friends, a very successful model, is feeling down about the superficiality of the fashion world and wants to leave it all behind to go to university. (Much to the fright of her agent!)

The most superficial people are "above the line" people, especially the ones selling something (PR reps, agents, designers) or selling themselves (photographers, stylists, models). This isn't to say that all the people working in these jobs are like that but it's a job hazard.

If you work 'below the line" on the design and construction end of things you're usually far removed from the superficiality of it all but the work is also less "colorful" so-to-say.

Intern in all the possible fields you're interested in and then you'll have a better idea of where you want to end up.

And thanks Gius for the mention of my blog. You can find that entry here and another about photographers here.

The nature of the business is to sell an image. Fashion is not a necessity and so to convince people outside the industry to spend REAL money on it, we must sell the image which most times is only superficial. If it wasn't superficial we'd all be wearing sweatpants and flip flops.

Unfortunately the fakeness of it comes because we must first convince ourselves that fashion is a necessity before we can sell it to others. It sucks, but I doubt it'l change anytime soon.

In a highly creative environment such as *cough* *cough* Fashion, most cases it is superificial- in attitude, demeanor, personality, socially i can go on and on. B)

madeline20 said:
I'm really into fashion and art and thinking of majoring in Fashion Marketing or such in college. Anyhow I'm a little worried that people in the industry are really superficial and 'fake' (I don't want to offend anyone), am I totally wrong?? I love clothes and shopping but still appreciate genuine and smart people who have other than material values.

nappywun said:
The nature of the business is to sell an image. Fashion is not a necessity and so to convince people outside the industry to spend REAL money on it, we must sell the image which most times is only superficial. If it wasn't superficial we'd all be wearing sweatpants and flip flops.

Unfortunately the fakeness of it comes because we must first convince ourselves that fashion is a necessity before we can sell it to others. It sucks, but I doubt it'l change anytime soon.

so are you saying fashion is a image that convince people what to wear?
that doesn't make any sense I know people who doesn't follow the fashion or magazine world that have a great sense of style and are not wearing sweatpants and flip flops.

yes, i think that fashion may nest more superficials than other professions, but thats mainly the kiddos at entry level.. as people grow up and still stay working in fashion they eventually 'land' on leaving all superficialities behind.

as for bookers, the ones i'm working with are the sweetest, same goes with models or celebrities most people i meet are mainly 'low' profile and professional.

in general, nice people and rude, agressive idiots exist everywhere really.
:ninja:

i would assume that like any other industry as well...
the closer you are to the top...the more cutthroat and insecure and competetive the people get....

being in NYC...i see probably the very worst of it all...
i imagine that paris is a close second though...
:ermm:...

^ on the contrary, from my experience in EU fashion world, the closest people are on the 'top', the more 'grounded' , uncomplicated, polite and 'down to earth' they get ..

its 'entry level' kids and wannabes who act with 'air' and adopt 'attitudes' they seem very ridiculous really and basically its all because of their insecurity

superficiality and hard core professionalism just doesn't match

I agree with both of you (Lena and softgrey) in some regards; like the kiddies in entry level, the wannabes and those in NYC. But let's face it most in fashion are superficial, have an 'air' about them, pretentious and thinks their opinions are more important than others . lol. The only ones who are grounded are those in accounting, finance and/or IT if the company is big enough to have their own IT department. HR-- well it all depends.

and the ones who are down to earth are those from old schools, unfortunately, they're either retired or about to.

Agents/bookers are like stock brokers to me. It's all about getting that commission. In that case they're neurotic. lol. Some bookers might be easy going but it all depends of the nature of the assignment. If it's high profile than no doubt you will meet the most venomous bookers especially in NYC. lol. Like i said it's all about getting that commission. As for Paris they're just stuck up. lol. But that's French for you. That's what makes them so French (in a good sense of the word, mind you :D ) and it doesn't have to be in fashion. No offense to Parisiennes. B)

Lena said:
its 'entry level' kids and wannabes who act with 'air' and adopt 'attitudes' they seem very ridiculous really and basically its all because of their insecurity

I see this all the time...even in Europe.

^ yes, exactly, i live in europe, most wannabe kids think that working in fashion makes it obligatory to have an 'air', this is so ridiculous mainly because it's very 80s.. and then, those wannabe's and their 'air's' just lose their assisting positions, and all hope of making it in fashion business, simple as that.

enough with the myths, the fashion world is alive and like everything else it is 'evolving'.
people in the business have become more 'grounded' and more in touch with being honest and 'real' this is not the 80s anymore, pretence, pose and superficiality is seriously, so totally passe :wink:

Lena said:
pretence, pose and superficiality is seriously, so totally passe :wink:

My sister works for French Vogue, that is exactly what she said. :heart:

100%

The models might be the less superficial

But I know alot of people who are in the industry and they're really Superficial !

Photographers, stylists, designers, hairstylists, etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misterdior
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->