h9H9qfob.jpg

Fragile by Wolfgang Tillmanns

T3Rsfk0c.jpg

David Hockney by Alasdair McLellan

32R1JGAz.jpg

"700 pages, biggest issue yet"

3 more covers not revealed yet.

instagram.com/thepopmag

Do you remember the Vogue Italia story Steven Meisel did with Kristen McMenamy and all the nubile boys? That cover shot looks like it captures what's happened ten years later, after she's got married to someone who listed S&M as one of his lifelong interests, but who's actually terribly ordinary and gives tennis lessons to kids at the weekend.

Living in that house with her husband is all very nice, but thinking back to those days (and nights) in that hotel...

Love everything except font on the The Smiths quote on the Hockney cover. Can't wait to see the Juergen story!

Do you remember the Vogue Italia story Steven Meisel did with Kristen McMenamy and all the nubile boys? That cover shot looks like it captures what's happened ten years later, after she's got married to someone who listed S&M as one of his lifelong interests, but who's actually terribly ordinary and gives tennis lessons to kids at the weekend.

Living in that house with her husband is all very nice, but thinking back to those days (and nights) in that hotel...

:lol::lol::lol: AMAZING COMMENT. lOVE TO SEE HER BACK ^_^

It's a very Smiths font..... What a brilliant combination of image and words :flower:

Dealer takes some beating too!

These three covers are each one better than anything else in the men's market. In fact, they're better than anything else out there period. Agreed re this Teller Kristen moment.... Wow, wow, WOW :buzz:

"Dieter" Juergen's alter ego by Juergen Teller

PJtOQ6C4.jpg

Fragile by Wolfgang Tillmans

PqjvIpAf.jpg

Morrissey by Alasdair McLellan

XfHHNnA2.jpg

instagram.com/thepopmag

Last edited by a moderator:
All vile covers.

Kristen is eternal of course-- and tigerrouge; I instantly thought of that superior VI Meisel shot at Chelsea. This... this is such a sad sequel to that for the cover of one of the most prestigious men’s high fashion publications left. It’s insulting. They’ve usually always cast interesting coverstars, but the whole we’re-too-cool-and-to-famous-to-make-an-effort is so obnoxious. Rich middle-agers working in high fashion desperately scrambling to relive their fanzine punk-youth days is so embarrassing-- not at all visionary.

Fabian and Ashley are sorely missed. But like a numbed addict, I still will pick this issue up.

(I had thought David was Morrissey on first glance…)

Thanks gbam.

The Kristen shot is kind of hilarious in a heartwarming way: Here’s this— the most surreal and magical of all top models, and still gorgeous, just casually hanging with her Alice Cooper-wannabe husband, maybe in the midst of some kinky role-playing. The TV-remotes neatly set by the nightstand, next to his reading glasses… It’s a portrait of a human, sweet, comfortably-settled married couple LOL

It’s a sweet shot, whether it’s authentic or contrived, I don’t care. It’s still nice to see Juergen's sly sense of humour— of which he displayed so supremely back in his Helmut Lang/ Melanie Ward collab days; Of which, in these corporately-bland, PC-hampered, and hyped lesser days of high fashion, that brand of sharp humour means more than ever before.

But as a cover for a high fashion men’s mag, I despise it.

Been out dancing - to the Smiths! - and home to this.....

I NEED this Morrissey cover NOW

(I had thought David was Morrissey on first glance…)

Ugh, I can see why you'd think that, but I wish you'd keep it to yourself. You're ruining my fetish!! :lol: I'm big on Morrissey (to this day!), also Joaquin Phoenix, John Garfield, Day Lewis' son....so I guess these dark and broody types are my thing then.

But I think despite all this, I will set out to get one of the Tillmans covers. They're tremendous, and I'm keen to see what he'll present. He's really going from strength to strength. I live in eternal fear that one day Louis Vuitton will brainwash him (obviously!) into a handbag collaboration.

Teller's Dieter cover looks like a German man pushing 50, lamenting his youth. Not a pretty sight, but of course that was his point. :rolleyes:

Arena Homme+ has been sticking to a certain formula for quite some time (i.e. long portfolio by the likes of Juergen Teller and Wolfgang Tillmans). The pages have become the playground of these photographers. Firstly I was ok about this and I found it tempting to buy a huge issue with over 600 pages but after a few issues I found it lacking of actual content as a Men's Fashion Magazine where more fashion content is needed.

Ashley Heath must love both Teller and Wolfgang so much that he decides to give them so many pages for both Pop and Arena Hommes+. But at least in Pop, there are more fashion contents to balance.

I am curious to see what's inside this issue besides perhaps 100 page of Teller and another 100 page of Wolfgang...

^^^ Yes— hundreds and hundreds of pages of blurry, overexposed snaps of out of frame rich rich rich people being bored.. and maybe if we’re lucky, some fashion strewn across the floor.

(Benn has a fetish for really grumpy old men LOL)

Phew throw some more Phuel on the fire! :furious:

"... hundreds and hundreds of pages of blurry, overexposed snaps of out of frame rich rich rich people being bored..."

Is that what Wolfgang Tillmans contributes to our culture?

When I was in London in March, I couldn't believe Tillmans had filled an entire wall of the Tate Modern with actual Arena Homme+ pages. This is new territory, a contemporary magazine truly interacting with tens of thousands of people in new ways.... (Sure, many people might not like the work presented.)

Most men's glossy magazines are truly formulaic and just look like what Arena Homme+ has already done far better. Maybe you work for GQ or something? I think I'd be mad if I did.....

from Kristen's story with her husband by Juergen Teller

I'm impressed with how well someone cleans their dog's teeth. That's responsible ownership. Mine would never let me near without a large bribe of dog biscuits.

Anyone got a list of content?

The images of the Haider Ackermann Berluti on thepopmag Instagram have got me excited for this issue's fashion focuses..... They always deliver with a few great exclusives.

theres also a dior homme special
styled by Tom Guinness and photographed by Ethan James Green

tumblr_op187rkxWT1qjoflco1_1280.jpg

tumblr_op1f6kpGq51qjoflco1_1280.jpg

http://ethanjamesgreen.tumblr.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
porcelainbackbone
Back