Azzedine Alaia SLAMS Karl Lagerfeld and Anna Wintour

I quite agree about Anna's Style. :lol:

because diana vreeland was such a fashion plate during her time?!? let's get serious here.

diana3.jpg

(source: guestofaguest.com)

^Isn't that the point though? Vreeland is remembered for her work, Anna is remembered for being a b*tch. Because, let's face it, Vogue US is not relevant fashion-wise. It's a business first and foremost.

Miranda Priestly may have helped Anna's image...Miranda had style.

while his point about karl remains well-taken, he's really pointing out his own limitations and the limitations of most designers. karl lagerfeld remains a near genius because he can dabble in so many things and still pull it off quite spectacularly. in a year, azzedine may put out forty or fifty truly mind-blowing dresses and karl may put out forty or fifty mind-blowing dresses, but the difference remains that karl has also put out three books, sixteen collections, opened a couple of stores, released some new fragrances and beauty products, thrown six great parties, decorated a new home, photographed for several magazines, and probably earned tens upon tens of millions of dollars (in one year) while making those forty to fifty great dresses. so, yes, true, for a young designer, focus on making the forty to fifty great dresses because not everyone can be karl. and that's why karl is karl.

unfortunately, his criticism of anna wintour may show his age a bit. anna wintour will get venerated in very much the same sense as diana vreeland once did. the stories about her REMAIN legend and while he may not LIKE the point of view of american vogue (as so many don't), there's no denying that it HAS ONE.

But how is it a limitation that you're not a "multi-talented artist" in whichever field you work in? It's like saying a singer is a limited artist because she/he doesn't dabble in acting and modelling as well.

But on the flip side, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong either in trying to do other things when you are presented with the opportunity and Azzedine does admit that Karl is good at what he does.

I see his criticism for Anna in the same way. She's more business than fashion. He sees it as a bad thing, but I'm certain Condé Nast disagrees.

I don't agree with his comment about Karl. I don't think he understands that Karl actually enjoys doing all of this other stuff. Why not design a Coke bottle when you're obsessed with the product yourself? If it's fun and promotes your business/persona, why not do it? I don't think there can ever be too much caricature in fashion, actually. If designing pretty dresses was all it took to become a big fashion business and brand it would get really boring. We love and need all the drama that comes with personalities like Karl, Galliano, etc.

I agree pretty much with what he said about Anna, though. It's quite puzzling she's considered the most important woman in fashion when she dresses so badly and is really more a businesswoman than a fashion icon.

At the end of the day business and money are the most important. Anna's style is a personal opinion, I love her style its great

Seems like once you get designer Azzedine Alaia talking, he won't stop...which is not to say we're not enjoying it. Earlier this week, he revealed that Dior offered him the top spot at the fashion house after John Galliano's dismissal and he previously decried the industry's pressures, calling the deadlines "inhumane."
And now making the rounds: an interview from Virgine in which he bashes both Karl Lagerfeld and Anna Wintour. Two for one!

How do you feel about Karl Lagerfeld? I don’t like his fashion, his spirit, his attitude. It’s too much caricature. Karl Lagerfeld never touched a pair of scissors in his life. That doesn’t mean that he’s not great, but he’s part of another system. He has capacity. One day he does photography, the next he does advertisements for Coca-Cola. I would rather die than see my face in a car advertisement. We don’t do the same work. And I think that he is not doing a favor to young stylists who might think it works that way. They’re going to fall before they retire.
You have some problems with Anna Wintour?
I said it before. She runs the business (Vogue) very well, but not the fashion part. When I see how she is dressed, I don’t believe in her tastes one second. I can say it loudly! She hasn’t photographed my work in years even if I am a best seller in the U.S. and I have 140 square meters at Barneys. American women love me; I don’t need her support at all. Anna Wintour doesn’t deal with pictures; she is just doing PR and business, and she scares everybody. But when she sees me, she is the scared one. [Laughs.] Other people think like me, but don’t say it because they are afraid that Vogue won’t photograph them. Anyway, who will remember Anna Wintour in the history of fashion? No one. Take Diana Vreeland, she is remembered because she was so chic. What she did with the magazine was great, with Avedon and all the great photographers. Vogueremains while its fashion editors come and go.

(huffingtonpost via virgine)

WOOOHOOOO FINALLY someone who do not adore and kiss their as*es
:lol::woot::lol::woot:

But how is it a limitation that you're not a "multi-talented artist" in whichever field you work in? It's like saying a singer is a limited artist because she/he doesn't dabble in acting and modelling as well.

But on the flip side, I don't think there's anything particularly wrong either in trying to do other things when you are presented with the opportunity and Azzedine does admit that Karl is good at what he does.

I see his criticism for Anna in the same way. She's more business than fashion. He sees it as a bad thing, but I'm certain Condé Nast disagrees.

there's nothing wrong with limitations. i'm not making a judgement. azzedine alaia remains one of the most brilliant dressmakers of our time. that he doesn't also excel in photography does not take away from that fact.

with regard to anna wintour, the world has changed. it's rosy to look on the current fashion system and remark how it's so different from the bygone era BUT those who work in the fashion industry and its auxiliaries really don't have the luxury to view the world through the tinted lens with which azzedine views it. the business of fashion or publishing or advertising or any other thing does not remain a side concern of those actively working in the business, it's an everyday, pressing, and urgent one. bad decisions mean the end of a house, the shuttering of a magazine, or the failure of a campaign.

^Isn't that the point though? Vreeland is remembered for her work, Anna is remembered for being a b*tch. Because, let's face it, Vogue US is not relevant fashion-wise. It's a business first and foremost.

anna wintour did not get profiled by the new york times or sit down with charlie rose because of her fashion choice or because some view her as a prickly personality. anna wintour has made american vogue a force not only in the world of fashion but within the larger world of business, the city of new york, and so many others.

it's laughable to try to contend that american vogue remains irrelevant in the world of fashion. just because one might not like the things anna wintour has done with vogue magazine does not mean she has not done anything of relevance. the young designers who receive CFDA awards would argue differently. the fashion houses who have benefited from fashion's night out would argue differently.

azzedine alaia would not have such a chip on his shoulder if vogue remained irrelevant. we don't see him badmouthing other fashion rags that overlook his work in the same fashion. does he castigate glenda or robbie with the same vehemence? there's a reason for that.

Not a single lie, and we all know that.

OMG! He's so right. Anna has turned american vogue into a farce. There's nothing fashion about it. All we see every months is actresses, who only care about promoting their movies. The covers don't even tell a story. And did someone say she's the most important woman is fashion? Wow. And miranda priestly is dedicated to her? What are these ppl thinking? The magazine is as commercial as it can get. Karl, is like the most superficial man, i don't even see his appeal. His designs are as good as any other struggling designer only with drama attached. And i think he should just give up photography. I really don't see his appeal
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t need her support at all. Anna Wintour doesn’t deal with pictures; she is just doing PR and business, and she scares everybody. But when she sees me, she is the scared one. [Laughs.]

Wow, he is not lacking in confidence, anyhow.

Do you want to know why Anna Wintour is editor of Vogue? Because daddy was editor of London's Evening Standard. Period. End of story.

As far Karl Lagerfeld, I don't think anyone else has maintained the integrity of a fashion house so consistently and successfully to date. Yes, he's created some ugly outfits, but Chanel classics are the epitome of chic and quality. After working for the boutique, I learned of Karl's absolute reverence for Coco Chanel's history, with esoteric references galore (stars, moons and lions representing Coco's astrological sign, and the camelia was her favorite flower). There are references of the lovers she had and the places she vacationed. There are many many references and purposeful idiosyncrasies like this in his work, it unfolds like Coco's diary or biography. That's an incredible feat and only he has done this.

Karl's always maintained that he's never nostalgic and that one should always remain modern, however I find that Karl sells a spirit of a bygone romantic era, one that no longer exists. His luxury reminds me of that of the glamorous 20s/30s (not aethetically but theoretically). It will be a sad day when he retires, though I don't believe he will make that choice.

I don't own any Alaia, alas, I cannot afford it. But I certainly would purchase it if I could. I respect both designers ^_^ The world would be a boring place with only one aesthetic.

anna wintour did not get profiled by the new york times or sit down with charlie rose because of her fashion choice or because some view her as a prickly personality. anna wintour has made american vogue a force not only in the world of fashion but within the larger world of business, the city of new york, and so many others.

it's laughable to try to contend that american vogue remains irrelevant in the world of fashion. just because one might not like the things anna wintour has done with vogue magazine does not mean she has not done anything of relevance. the young designers who receive CFDA awards would argue differently. the fashion houses who have benefited from fashion's night out would argue differently.

azzedine alaia would not have such a chip on his shoulder if vogue remained irrelevant. we don't see him badmouthing other fashion rags that overlook his work in the same fashion. does he castigate glenda or robbie with the same vehemence? there's a reason for that.
Thank you!

I always enjoy watching these Anna bashing sessions because it just seems like people enjoy hating her more than having a true reason to, unless being bored by her cover-celebs is a valid reason to hate her.

As for her relevance, and more importantly that of American Vogue, I can't believe anyone would question it. Is it not still the hope of most designers new and established to have their designs and products featured in American Vogue? Is it not considered a turning point in a model's career when she's featured in a Vogue spread? Do young, aspiring stylists, editors and writers no longer aspire to work for Vogue? The argument of business vs. fashion seems entirely irrelevant to me when the magazine is still considered by so many people actually working within the industry as the ticket to bringing their career to the next level. I'm not even sure that it has to do with Anna herself, but rather the prestige that the name Vogue has always carried, and which Anna has maintained. b*tch or not, stylish or not (a ridiculous criticism considering what some in the industry wear), she's still the one everyone aims to impress.

post 21

In 1955, the Vreelands moved to a new apartment which was decorated exclusively in red. Diana Vreeland had Billy Baldwin[disambiguation needed] decorate her apartment.[12] She said, "I want this place to look like a garden, but a garden in hell."

Thank you!

I always enjoy watching these Anna bashing sessions because it just seems like people enjoy hating her more than having a true reason to, unless being bored by her cover-celebs is a valid reason to hate her.

As for her relevance, and more importantly that of American Vogue, I can't believe anyone would question it. Is it not still the hope of most designers new and established to have their designs and products featured in American Vogue? Is it not considered a turning point in a model's career when she's featured in a Vogue spread? Do young, aspiring stylists, editors and writers no longer aspire to work for Vogue? The argument of business vs. fashion seems entirely irrelevant to me when the magazine is still considered by so many people actually working within the industry as the ticket to bringing their career to the next level. I'm not even sure that it has to do with Anna herself, but rather the prestige that the name Vogue has always carried, and which Anna has maintained. b*tch or not, stylish or not (a ridiculous criticism considering what some in the industry wear), she's still the one everyone aims to impress.

anna didn't do all that for american vogue, the ppl before her did.
Posted via Mobile Device

^ I never said that she did that on her own, but considering that she's been running Vogue for the last twenty-something years I think it's safe to say that she's played her part in it. Much as you might like to believe it, Vreeland can only hold so much influence from beyond the grave.

If you ask me vogue paris, vogue italia,even vogue spain, is doing better than us vogue. At least with them fashion comes first, and they use ppl (models) who know fashion, not actresses. American vogue isn't what it used to be. Ppl just refuse to see that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blondblondblond
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->