Balmain F/W 2022.23 Paris

That was not good. Those garments with that casting made me feel like I was watching an H&M show, not a show of that which used to be a storied haute couture house. I truly feel Olivier has lost that thing that he had that made Balmain interesting and luxurious. Now it looks like it should be sold at Macy’s in the Juniors department. Maybe it’s time for him to go.

So bad and the casting was completely underwhelming compared to last season.

Reactions: Sai
That was not good. Those garments with that casting made me feel like I was watching an H&M show, not a show of that which used to be a storied haute couture house. I truly feel Olivier has lost that thing that he had that made Balmain interesting and luxurious. Now it looks like it should be sold at Macy’s in the Juniors department. Maybe it’s time for him to go.
It has been 10 years. Seldom anyone hold a AD position that long, especially in these post-Galliano, everything is taken at face value and is consumed in a minute days. He has lasted longer than some designers have at their own brands. He definitely burning out.

The casting really doesn't help, to me this feels like so many different brands mashed into one.. i loved his shows when he started, they were so much better

Even though I'm a sucker for everything armor-inspired, it's not going to get thumbs-up from me through out the board. Too many awful decisions (the nude prints? the menswear feels like filler and what in the rollerbladin' hell are those hooves?!) drag it down.

It looks like costumes from a dystopian Netflix series. Absolutely unwearable and impractical. We saw body armor at Dior and now here. It has no place on the runway at this particular time. It’s not only obvious, but also tasteless. I hate to bring political correctness into the fold, but there are real people in the streets of Ukraine wearing body armor as necessity and not a fashion statement. The women who buy Balmain have nothing in common with the people that would need to wear those items in real life. Overall the collection is bloated and lacking in original ideas. I believe that Olivier has reached the peak of his creativity for Balmain. It was exciting at the beginning, unfortunately it abruptly plateaued. I can’t say I’m surprised. 10 years is a long time to spend at a house. There comes a point in time when a designer should move on to a new challenge. The next move for him should be launching his own brand with a new set of house codes. I don’t see the Balmain getting any better than this.

Very 2010s NYFW tacky and gaudy. Lousy clothes without any substance.

10 years in Olivier is clearly having designer block, because he doesn't know where to take the house going anywhere.

The collection which is too long, 100 looks that just go on and on, if you have nothing new to add, just make a condense and straight forward collection.

Some of the garments are really weirdly constructed and stuff. The gold embellishments look really cheap. He should stick to pearls and sequins embroideries, that what he does best. And the platforms shoes on the men are just abysmal.

Also again the styling is a mess. He really needs a really good stylist to help him edit.

^We’re clearly connected. Very Ghesquière/Tisci from 13 years ago, as interpreted by a Vegas hack who tacks on embroidery everywhere.

His runway shows were never really good but this is one of his most erratic collections. It’s also incredibly passé.

Lovingtheconcept.gif tbh but the execution is terrible. The looks are so sloppy.

But to be honest I was waiting for tiktok kids to move on from 90s into the more myspace/hottopic cringe. What are those shoes Olivier is wearing omg. Bring on the MCR and BMTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolreefs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->