Bella Freud

"Trish Simonon (L) and fashion designer Bella Freud attend 'A Buggs Life - Private View'
at Established & Sons on July 8, 2009 in London"

trish-simonon-and-fashion-designer-bella-freud-attend-a-buggs-life-picture-id88905047

Getty/Dave M. Benett

88905039-trish-simonon-and-fashion-designer-bella-gettyimages.jpg

Getty/Dave M. Benett

Bella Freud shot by Sophia Spring for Stella magazine
Hair & Make-up: Freya Danson Hatcher

"FREYA DANSON HATCHER FOR STELLA MAGAZINE 14.10.2016"

Screen-Shot-2016-10-14-at-17.05.43.png
Screen-Shot-2016-10-14-at-17.06.02.png

http://smanagement.co.uk

Bella Freud shot by Sophia Spring for Stella magazine
Hair & Make-up: Freya Danson Hatcher

"FREYA DANSON HATCHER FOR STELLA MAGAZINE 14.10.2016"

Screen-Shot-2016-10-14-at-17.05.54.png
Screen-Shot-2016-10-14-at-17.06.11.png

http://s management.co.uk

HQ courtesy photographer Sophia Spring's website:

BELLA-F.jpg

sophiaspring.com

"BELLA FREUD and her son JAMES FOX attending Annabel Goldsmith's Summer
party held at her home in Ham, Surrey on 10th July 2014."

DON-TIZ-110.jpg

donfeatures.com

"KIM SION; BELLA FREUD, Pilar Ordovas hosts a Summer Party
in celebration of Calder in India, Ordovas, 25 Savile Row, London 20 June 2012"

12ord10776.jpg

dafjones.photoshelter.com

Alice Brudenell-Bruce and Bella Freud attend
The Prada Costello Cavalcanti screening December 10th 2013

Alice-BBBella-Freud_400x600.jpg

tatler.co.uk

"Bella Freud (L) and Jemima Khan attend the Harper's Bazaar Women of the Year Awards 2012, in association with Estee Lauder, Harrods and Tiffany & Co., at Claridge's Hotel on October 31, 2012 in London, England."

bella-freud-and-jemima-khan-attend-the-harpers-bazaar-women-of-the-picture-id155065435

Getty/Dave M. Benett

"Sandro Kopp (L) and Bella Freud attend the London EDITION and NOWNESS dinner to celebrate ON COLLABORATION on October 14, 2013 in London, England."

sandro-kopp-and-bella-freud-attend-the-london-edition-and-nowness-to-picture-id184628921

Getty/Dave M. Benett

"Bella Freud Wednesday 28th March 2012 Alexandra Shulman book launch party at Sotherby's"

bella-freud-alexandra-shulman-book-launch-party_3803791.jpg
bella-freud-alexandra-shulman-book-launch-party_3803795.jpg

Photo Credit: WENN.com2

Bella Freud at home shot by Christopher Sturman for Harper's Bazaar UK:

cst_ukbazaar_bellafreud_16.jpg

lebook.com

1dc0c628367b75ac6f94a1afbf72c1f5.jpg

eastphotographic.com

one brand that i think is aping bella's style is the knitwear brand Hades.
you can read a profile of the designer in elle UK here

the hades sweaters are exactly the same shape as bella's and the musical genres used for inspiration are similar.

Bella Freud's appeal is a package deal. I feel a personal connection to her, which goes beyond admiration of her designs or style. Corny as it may sound I do feel a special musical kinship thanks to shared life-long passion for punk and reggae music ( in my case alt-country/folk music), record collections, and shows.

How can I not love a woman who developed a crush on a 38 year old musician named Leonard Cohen, at 11 years old? My teacher, in college, who I eventually dated, introduced me Leonard. The relationship with him ended but not with Leonard.

The inception, execution of Hades lacks on so many levels, I'm not even going to waste my breath.

"Bella Freud (L) and Patti Smith attend the Hoping Foundation's 'Rock On' benefit evening for Palestinian refugee children at Cafe de Paris on June 20, 2013 in London, England"

Bella Freud in a Patti Smith t-shirt 2014 via Instagram:

o.27541.jpg
bella-freud-and-patti-smith-attend-the-hoping-foundations-rock-on-picture-id171039677

Fragrancita.com | Getty/ Dave M Benett

Photographer Alex Sarginson did not provide an editorial credit on his website but I know for certain that this photo accompanied a write up featured in US VOGUE c 2001, promoting Jaeger line designed by Bella Freud.

Bella-Freud,medium.2x.1462877799.jpg

alexsarginson.com

A scent by Azzi Glasser | Posted by Rose on Sunday July 5th 2015

"To celebrate the launch of Bella Freud's signature fragrance, Laura Bailey hosted a discussion between her and the inimitable perfumer Azzi Glasser at Selfridges."

Bella-Freud-Signature-Fragrance-4.jpg

mixedgems.com

Bella Freud's Hideous Man cast shot by Julian Broad covers The Sunday Telegraph
magazine July 7th 2002:

3d760d61376cfe1bee8844d8dffa41aa.jpg

saffronburrows.com

Last edited by a moderator:
The Hideous Man cast wearing Bella Freud shot by Julian Broad for The Sunday Telegraph magazine July 7th 2002:

The original website which I screencapped this feature from is now defunct but the rest can be found on my Bella Freud board. For some bizarre reason I can no longer copy paste the image URL directly from my pins; only copy links to the pin :ermm:

14c04a3c4c55efe265125f0a8776eef6.jpg

5db8c6ffe6467d2e7161effc2c82b5fa.jpg

imgcelebc.info

"Focus | 07 October 2016

IN CONVERSATION WITH BELLA FREUD

Creator of cult knitwear, we visited the British designer at her studio to talk about building her brand and finding a creative balance."

Edito-visuels-2048x1149BellaFreud01_03.jpg

Bella Freud. © Ella Parkes​

I’ve always worked with knitwear but I didn’t get into using words until I was making the film Hideous Man (with John Malkovich). I was looking to create some sort of combination between branded merchandise and beatnik inspired language that is sparse but very captivating. I’ve always been interested in the power of words and how you can affect people in a certain way with the language you use. I didn’t know exactly what I was looking to produce but the result was my first word jumper ‘Ginsberg Is God’, ‘Godard is Dog’, which was just a slip of the tongue! I love the ambiguity of the phrases, is it meaningful or is it just bullsh*t? I never use the term slogan. A slogan tends to be an instruction, I want the words to have an independent meaning.

Edito-visuels-2048x1149BellaFreud02_03.jpg

Bella’s moodboard in her West London studio. © Ella Parkes​

There is something fascinating in the absurdity of fashion, people can do what they want with it, and it’s there to be enjoyed and experimented with. Someone like Anna Dello Russo is thrilling, to see someone so larger than life. She clearly loves it and I think it’s fabulous.

The creation of the ‘Ginsberg Is God’ jumper was a key moment for me. I wasn’t going to do any production around it, but then Kate (Moss) wore it and it just took off. It seemed to really capture people’s imaginations in a very organic way."

Today this kind of hype tends to be planned and orchestrated. The success of Ginsberg gave me the confidence to stick to the things I liked; whether it’s ‘fashion’ or not is irrelevant. I’m not trying to make fashion, I’m simply trying to hone my look, which took me a long time to perfect. I get my inspiration from Jane Rainey and those girls in the late 60s who just wore things a certain way and it just worked.. they had this essence, and that’s what I’m trying to capture.

Edito-visuels-2048x1149bellafreud03_03.jpg

A Greta Bellamacina and Robert Montgomery poetry book. © Ella Parkes​

My favourite jumper would be a toss up between ‘Ginsberg is God’ and ‘The Last Poets’. They’re like my first borns. The 1970 jumper was a random one, it’s funny how some things just take off. ‘Je t’aime Jane’ came about because I had an answer phone message from Jane Birkin’s agent saying that Jane loved the ‘Gainsbourg is God’ jumper. I thought about those crushes you have at school, revering certain girls and the messages we used to carve into our desks. Je t’aime Jane could have been one of them.

I fell into making films almost by accident. I decided to do a film instead of a catwalk show for my second collection. I just thought it seemed like a good idea because it’d be cheaper, but it also enabled me to create the sort of atmosphere that interested me without the constraints of a catwalk. Later on in my career I realised I’d put together a body of work without having actually intended to. When you start something and it turns into something much bigger, it’s obviously very enjoyable and it gives you a real buzz. When it comes to development I’m always incredibly thoughtful and tentative, at first I was incredibly resistant to doing anything in colour. The key is making it grow without diluting what works.

vestiairecollective.com

Bella Freud shot by Ella Parkes for Vestiaire Collective 2016:

BELLA_2-copy.jpg

BELLA_5.jpg

ellaparkes.com

Bella's beautiful revival of this elephant cord jacket from her Biba Autumn/Winter 2006 collection:

All of the online images of this collection are really low resolution, even on vogue.com.
The belted, buckled mini black coat, in the lower Left, is the the same style as what Bella wore:

sunday%20times%20style%20biba's%20back%20editorial%20.jpg

christinebec.com

I magically stumbled on the entire 2 page spread from this 1968 Biba catalogue! The spread shows the smaller inset image, new to me. It's a miracle when bloggers have the foresight to not dissect these vintage editorial spreads; otherwise the often brilliant retro graphic design elements get cropped into oblivion. Starring Stephanie Farrow shot by Hans Feurer:

%2521cid_310575D7-66B2-4520-A4D4-4809FA7FE2A9.jpg

fromayellowhouse.com

"Bella Freud and Kristin Scott Thomas attend an after party following the press night performance of 'Old Times' at the Mint Leaf on January 31, 2013 in London, England"

bella-freud-and-kristin-scott-thomas-attend-an-after-party-following-picture-id160451565

Getty/Dave M Benett

"Selfridges and filmmaker Kathryn Ferguson join forces to celebrate International Women's Day with a dynamic short that showcases inspirational female role models. 'Four-Tell', which stars Zaha Hadid, Sharmadean Reid, Caryn Franklin and Bella Freud, explores all different facets of womanhood, using four different personalities to unpick everything from being a career-driven woman to the importance of female role models in our society today." - SHOWstudio

11.jpg

twinfactory.co.uk

473_960n.jpg

showstudio.com

maxresdefault.jpg

Selfridges/youtube

maxresdefault.jpg

SHOWstudio/youtube

SHOWstudio: Four Tell - Kathryn Ferguson

SHOWstudio/youtube

Essay | BY PHOEBE FRANGOUL | 8 MARCH 2013

Role models have an effect on us not because they’re perfect, but the opposite - they’re imperfect, just like us. Our role models have to be flawed so that we can feel connected to and invested in them.

Role models, ‘icons’ (style and otherwise), heroes, heroines, idols – who are they to us, why do we need them, what do they represent?

When you’re a child they can be cartoons (She-Ra! Spiderman!) or characters in books – Roald Dahl’s feisty, magical Matilda or Anne of Green Gables smashing her slate over Gilbert Blythe’s head for calling her 'carrots'. They inspired us to be brave, to stand up for what we believe in and know to be right, to follow our dreams.

Role models have this effect on us not because they’re perfect, but the opposite - they’re imperfect, just like us. Our role models have to be flawed so that we can feel connected to and invested in them – we recognise common traits that we share, see something of ourselves in them, but bigger, bolder, brighter, like a mirror reflecting back an idealised version of ourselves.

As we grow and change, so do our role models – they’re only human, after all. They serve various purposes at different stages in our lives, and so when it came to making a film for International Women’s Day with Selfridges, filmmaker Kathryn Ferguson knew she needed a diverse group of women to feature, representing different ages, professions and backgrounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misslola
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->