Belstaff for the Steve McQueen look

softgrey

flaunt the imperfection
Reaction score
No Helmut Required
By PAUL L. UNDERWOOD
Published: March 11, 2007
For the man who rides motorcycles — or just wants to look as if he does — Steve McQueen is It. He was so devoted to biking that, for the epic chase scene toward the end of “The Great Escape,” he actually played one of the Nazis racing after his character. He was also — no surprise — extremely concerned with looking the part. His label of choice? Belstaff. The company reinvented the biker jacket in 1924, when it pioneered the use of waterproof, breathable wax cotton. But Belstaff coats are more than just practical: they have an élan that gives ordinary guys King of Cool status. So it made sense for the company’s owners, the Malenotti family, to buy McQueen’s Belstaff Trialmaster at auction last November for $32,000.
Skip to next paragraph
11helmet.1902.jpg
From Belstaff
A spring runway look.

11helmet.1904.jpg
Miramax
Leonard DiCaprio in "The Aviator."

11helmet.1903.jpg
From Belstaff
Another spring look.

11helmet.1901.jpg
Italian Visual Press
Will Smith in "I Am Legend."

The brand’s relationship with movie stars is still revving high. When Hollywood needs rough-and-tumble duds, Belstaff gets the call. Brad Pitt (and Angelina), George Clooney and Tom Cruise have all fashioned themselves as latter-day McQueens at some point. Clooney has a wardrobe full of them; Cruise’s custom-designed Belstaff in “Mission: Impossible III” was arguably the best thing in the movie and quickly became a best seller. Bad guys wear Belstaff, too: Kevin Spacey, as Lex Luthor, wore a parka with fox-fur trim in “Superman Returns.” Even the literati use Belstaff as a signifier for cool: the middle-aged real estate agent in Richard Ford’s “The Lay of the Land” makes a point of letting you know it’s his brand.
The best place to see Belstaff in action is in “The Aviator,” where the jacket got almost as much play as Leonardo DiCaprio. (After all, the film won an Academy Award for costume design.) DiCaprio’s looks were based on pieces from the 1920s and ’30s, which were then produced for the public and sold as a new line called Aviator by Belstaff. Devotees went crazier than Howard Hughes in a private screening room.
Wearing Belstaff doesn’t make you look like you stepped out of a period piece. In the coming “I Am Legend,” Will Smith plays the last survivor on earth. His jacket isn’t the fruit of some futurist’s imagination; it’s the good old Trialmaster, McQueen’s favorite, which remains unchanged from its original incarnation. The implication is that a Belstaff jacket is strong enough to withstand not just the passing of time but also apocalyptic annihilation.

nytimes.com

who sells belstaff?
does anyone here have one?

we do :wink:

been to their showroom in milan while buying it... great stuff and nice museum of those above mentioned jackets all behind glass..
having said that, i do like their boots better than their jackets.
the jackets are one of those kinda things, you buy one of and never again :smile:

ps. they also have a store in london

Last edited by a moderator:
ooh...thanks for the info leyla...:kiss:

softgrey said:
who sells belstaff?
does anyone here have one?
I visited their London store (Conduit St) a couple of days ago.. apart from motor cycle'ish jackets they have some really great short capes this season (white, sand, black, silver..).. I fell in love w. the silvery cape.. which they had just put out on the floor but had not added the price to it..so I couldn't buy it because they had to call Italy to get the price :judge: ..I never got around to going back to the store.

pics firstview

Attachments

• photo_mid_def_1702594.jpg
    photo_mid_def_1702594.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo_mid_def_1702597.jpg
    photo_mid_def_1702597.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members