Black Fleece: Thom Browne for Brooks Brothers

i like what ive seen so far and generally im not a fan of brooks brothers women's at all. usually its too frowsy and too "new england" prep.

does anyone have any idea how much higher these items will be priced over regular brooks brothers clothing?

Okay, so I went to the trunk show/preview and met Thom today. I wore my FL 05 navy blazer w/ white constrast stitching and he said "Nice jacket", helped me put on a few coats, talked about a few things. I try to pry him for info about the Harry Winston watches...wouldn't get the price, lots of stones ("tasteful"), I said a $ of about $30k and he had a "a lot more than that chuckle", goign to debut in about 4-6 weeks in Tokyo.
All in all I think the line will do fairly well since the pricing really isn't what people made it out to be. The fit is great and really different than Thom's...more classic, wearable American with an updated fit that still harkens back with some nostalgia.
As per the customers...I think the core will actually be a "new" Brooks Brother's customer who isn't stodgy old BB and who isn't forward TB and kind of plays it safe with fashion. The BB and the TB client I feel will use Black Fleece to "supplement" or add some touches to their current wardrobe. On the BB customer end they can get something "fun and fashiony" and on the TB end I can go and get some "Americana" or for example in this debut a herringbone quilted wool vest that was in FL06 that you missed out on buying then.
The women's stuff is AMAZING. I love the use of astrakhan that he has in some jackets and dresses. Also, for $1500 the wool herringbone dress is a fan-f***ing-tastic buy that I want all of my friends to get. Seriously...get in there in 2 weeks when it rolls out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, so I went to the trunk show/preview and met Thom today. I wore my FL 05 navy blazer w/ white constrast stitching and he said "Nice jacket", helped me put on a few coats, talked about a few things. I try to pry him for info about the Harry Winston watches...wouldn't get the price, lots of stones ("tasteful"), I said a $ of about $30k and he had a "a lot more than that chuckle", goign to debut in about 4-6 weeks in Tokyo.
All in all I think the line will do fairly well since the pricing really isn't what people made it out to be. The fit is great and really different than Thom's...more classic, wearable American with an updated fit that still harkens back with some nostalgia.
As per the customers...I think the core will actually be a "new" Brooks Brother's customer who isn't stodgy old BB and who isn't forward TB and kind of plays it safe with fashion. The BB and the TB client I feel will use Black Fleece to "supplement" or add some touches to their current wardrobe. On the BB customer end they can get something "fun and fashiony" and on the TB end I can go and get some "Americana" or for example in this debut a herringbone quilted wool vest that was in FL06 that you missed out on buying then.
The women's stuff is AMAZING. I love the use of astrakhan that he has in some jackets and dresses. Also, for $1500 the wool herringbone dress is a fan-f*cking-tastic buy that I want all of my friends to get. Seriously...get in there in 2 weeks when it rolls out!

I was there as well! I agree the womens line is exceptional. For anyother petite guys out there, i HIGHLY recommend checking out his womens line for Brooks brothers. I found that a 0 in the mens line, still ran too big (his stuff really has never been as short/tight and some of you guys make it out to be......, but a 2 in the womens line fit incredible.

Overall, it was great event! Thom is very sweet and would come over and talk to anyone/everyone to make comments/suggestions as they tried on his pieces.

Hi Capita,

What time were you there? What were you wearing?

i was there from 4:30-5:30ish. I had on a destroyed straw hat, basic black overcoat, white shirt+tie, slim trousers......

how about you sir?

Oh yah I saw you...you were standing by the women's stuff talking with the girl associate...I had on khakis, navy Thom blazer, Thom brown shoes, a tan rain jacket, carrying a black umbrella and a black YSL muse briefcase.

I think I was kind of next to yo when looking at the oxford table as well.

my god EtrosexualJ...what do you do for a living? love that ivory cashmere scarf you posted on the other thread..

here's my contribution to the post.. one from domino's and the other from GQ can you guys see? can't wait to see and touch the line up close...

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 13
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 11
my god EtrosexualJ...what do you do for a living? love that ivory cashmere scarf you posted on the other thread..

here's my contribution to the post.. one from domino's and the other from GQ can you guys see? can't wait to see and touch the line up close...

Contact whichever the largest Brooks Brothers is in SF becuase I think in mid-Sept they are having an event with Thom Browne.

^^ i think I saw you too sir. Do you by chance know where those reporters/photo people where from???

i def think the women's stuff is better than the mens...
and generally better that what brooks bros usually does for women...

i agree with lucy...brooks bros women is usually just too stiff and asexual...
'frowsy'...good word...:P

seems like it's the ralph lauren customer...

For sure on that Soft....it is great to see what Thom Browne wants to do for women and this is a fantastic way to. As much as I hate to say it, at the end of the day, Black Fleece is still kind of Thom Browne Lite.
There is a women's astrakhan scarf I'm tempted to buy.

BROOKS HAS JUST UPDATED THEIR WEBSITE WITH THE ENTIRE BLACK FLEECE LINE (MEN'S, WOMEN'S & ACCESSORIES) AVILABLE FOR PURCHASE ONLINE.... man.. those $10K fur lined capes and cashmere coats are too die for.....

The capes are fun, I tried them on in the store...also a $2900 version

I'm glad this came up today since I was going to bring back up the thread with some tidbits from WWD from the trunkshow/preview.
The line is expected to do $10 million in annual sales.
It will be in 30 U.S. BBs and 6 overseas units.
According to BB Chief Merchandising Office Lou Amendola during the event "women bought head to toe looks with little price resistance."
The Black Fleece sales for those 3 days alone beat the sales goals for the entire store on those days.
About 50% of those at the event were current BB customers.
Thom is planning a PA in San Fran, Chicago, BH, Boston, Manhasset, Short Hills, London, Paris, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Milan.
Isetan in Japan will have a Black Fleece boutique.

Also, I just found out today that my new job is part of the corporate program so I get 15% off.

I haven't seen the whole line, but Ive heard people are not liking it at all.

I'll have to check it out online. Thanks

Their reasons?

Oh, I dont remember exactly. It was on another forum. They are probably guys who think Diesel is stylish.

I really like the capes, and the shorter waisted cardigans.

I also really like the blazers, with shorts and the knee socks. Very German!:D

From CNNMoney.com:

The hipster in the gray flannel suit

Looking to freshen its 19th-century brand, Brooks Brothers reaches out to 21st-century designer Thom Browne.

By John Brodie, Fortune assistant managing editor
September 5 2007: 3:40 PM EDT

(Fortune Magazine) -- Not long after opening its doors - in 1818, Brooks Brothers, with its traditional suits and generously cut shirts, became the de facto outfitter for the American businessman. Starting in the late 1980s, however, a series of owners - Federated, Robert Campeau, and finally Marks & Spencer - stood by as the store's core customer defected to dot-com casual and designer labels.
"Brooks Brothers forgot about the suit guy - the one they dress five days a week," said Italian luxury mogul Claudio Del Vecchio, when he picked up the company in late 2001 for $225 million. Del Vecchio, whose father is the founder of the upscale eyewear maker Luxottica (Charts), pushed to bring back quality merchandise like English bench-made shoes in the hope of making the store a destination for urban professionals again.
That led him to Thom Browne, a former actor turned men's wear designer who was selling super-fitted suits (often worn without socks) to New York City hipsters and hedgies, first out of his apartment and now from a store in Tribeca.
Browne agreed to come aboard, designing an upscale off-the-rack collection for men - and for women, who currently make up one-quarter of Brooks Brothers shoppers. Called Black Fleece, the name is a puckish twist on Brooks Brothers' in-house brand Golden Fleece.
The line, which debuts this month in 30 U.S. stores, plus London, Paris, Milan, Tokyo, and Hong Kong, includes shirts, ties, topcoats, formalwear, shoes, and suits. These retail for $2,700 to $3,000, compared with the $598 to $1,600 range for off-the-rack Brooks Brothers suits.
"The assignment to create something new for Brooks Brothers was so personal for me, because my father and my grandfather wore it," says the 40-year-old Browne, who grew up in Allentown, Pa., and was last year's CFDA Menswear Designer of the Year.
Brooks, meanwhile, is hoping that offering a collection by an outside designer, something the store has not done in 25 years, can knock the dust off the brand just as Tom Ford did when he began designing for Gucci in 1990.
Says Louis Amendola, Brooks Brothers' chief merchandising officer: "We've spent the past five years changing a lot of things in the store, and this is part of the strategy to say 'Let's get people in to see it.' "

--CNNMoney

There's a few pictures that go with the article, but nothing we haven't already seen.

My brushed twill cotton pants I got back from alterations today (see WAYWT thread tomorrow for fit)
Also, bought this cashmere sweater from Black Fleece.
blackfleece014.jpg

blackfleece015.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alantrabriggs
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->