Blank Canvas: Fred Perry x Siv Støldal (i-D article)

Baizilla

follow the lights
Reaction score
An article about Fred Perry's next collaboration in the "Blank Canvas" line, with Norwegian sportswear designer Siv Støldal.

Source : i-D Magazine / i-Dmagazine.com
Text : Lauren Cochrane

RIGHT, SAID FRED – Where do you go after Comme des Garçons? Post-super successful collaboration with the Japanese powerhouse, this is the dilemma that tennis legends Fred Perry faced. Their solution was to bring on the new talent. With their Blank Canvas range, Fred Perry give carte – or shirt – blanche to select new young designers. After working with Vinti Andrews and Mrs Jones, Siv Støldal is third up. Expanding on her mainline sportswear-inspired collection, working with a tennis brand seems an ideal next step for the Norwegian-born, London-based designer. Going back to Mr Fred Perry for inspiration, the capsule collection doesn’t disappoint – mixing classic preppy with modern life perfectly. Støldal rejoices in that icon of street/sports wear – the trackie top – adding her trademark photo-prints. Also nodding to scally chic are timeless V-necks and polo shirts, not out of place on a Casual terrace. More gentlemanly pieces like a V-neck cardigan worn with a poloneck do Mr Perry proud and will be snapped up by any wannabe Mods. Subtle elements – a playful, rainbow-coloured Fred Perry symbol, contrasting colour fastenings and pin-thin eighties-style stripes – bring a certain Siv something. Add more directional ideas (like mixing a cardigan with a trackie top in one garment) and you’ve got pieces that are great for both Støldal beginners and devotees alike.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fred Perry x Vinti Andrews

photos credited to zozo.jp

Attachments

• 1081693_b_5.jpg
    1081693_b_5.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1081692_b_5.jpg
    1081692_b_5.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 1081694_b_1.jpg
    1081694_b_1.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 12
Fred Perry x Siv Støldal

photos credited to zozo.jp

Attachments

• 1095760_b_5.jpg
    1095760_b_5.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 1095762_b_5.jpg
    1095762_b_5.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 1095761_b_5.jpg
    1095761_b_5.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 4
Like most Stoldal... it doesn't do much for me. As well, I've found the fit of her "sportswear inspired" tees and such to be droopy and unflattering. I purchased one from s/s 2005, excited to try out a new designer, and have only worn it once because the fit and quality of the material is about as flattering as the oversized tees you'd get at any discount store.

Finally, images of shirts put onto jerseys? I mean, perhaps I see conceptually what she's doing, but that doesn't necessarily make it either interesting or something I'd want to wear.

Overall, nothing special. I can't say I was overly thrilled with Comme's collaboration, either, but it still nevertheless had that certain spark of energy that Kawakubo brings to most of the things that she does. This just looks gimmicky and uninspired... although perhaps more pics would be necessary before making a final determination.

John

I really like the V. Andrews prints, they're easy and masculine. The shirt prints are fun.

As for the FP x CdG collab..
I wouldn't exactly agree with the article on using the "post-super succesful" term... because the designs seemed a bit neutral and rather bland to me.

I'm not very thrilled about this collaboration between FP and Siv Støldal, to say it the least...

The Vinti Andrews collaboration.. Now that's something quite innovative... The designs are beautiful and the way he decorated those pique-polos seems like a rather new approach to making a plain polo look amazing.

I don't think these are good collaborations. I think the vinti andrew designs are quite cool on paper but on a shirt just looks like 'top man' clothes. I think it cheapens the shirt. I like the fact that the polo shirts that fred perry do are plain and go with most clothes.
the siv stoldal collaboration I think is quite a cool idea, but i don't think it would look good on. but all I've seen of these two collabs are the pictures on here, so they might look better in life.

..But you have to admit, the Vinti Andrews collaboration is quite innovating, have you seen polos like this before?

The polos seems really nice, except for the pink one. :P :cry: I agree with Baizilla that they are some what innovating.

But the jackets are awful!:yuk:

I really don't think you can call a polo shirt with graphics on it innovative. I see polo shirts with graphics on them all the time, to be honest they don't nomally look as good as these shirts, but the idea has been done.

Then maybe we have different perceptions of the word "innovating".

The way I see it, is that it is rather innovative in terms of polo shirts, and of course not clothes in general, because that takes a lot more. It is redefining the classic polo.

Nowadays you can see that virtually every major clothier is doing some kind of interpretation of Renè Lacoste's original pique polo, by applicating some different colours like pink, bordeaux etc. or by using stripes. Recently Ralph Lauren came up with the skull print and some misplaced "Polo player" logos, which is quite creative, but not necessarily innovative. Another example of innovation in polo shirts is the waxed one by Dior Homme.

Try comparing these FP polos to those other major polo producers.. Such as Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, Le Tigre etc. and you'll see that nothing similar has been done before. Thus the term "innovating".

"but the idea has been done" <-- Feel free to post a picture. I want to be enlightened.

I like the Siv jackets alot. I also loved Jessica Ogden's collection for Fred Perry.

Cool. I play tennis all the time so these would right up my street. The Siv warm-up jackets are cute. I love the one with the tennis racquet printed in a very surrealist manner. And the polos by Vinti are great. As for innovation,for tennis clothing these are quite innovative actually. In their graphical sense,especially. They give the stale idea of tennis wear a bit more oomph and they're also a great alternative to the overrated technological crap on the market these days.

i have to disagree on the vinti stuff.. i dont think it looks nice at all.. and i do NOT see any innovation there.. same ol same old morphine generation esque..
i was never a fan of polos... it think the photo print on the warm ups can be done quite nice... but certainly not those polos.. esp the pink one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yujiaolong666
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->