Blonde Redhead

Scott

Stitch:the Hand
Reaction score
Since we don't have a thread on them yet ^_^

Listening to perhaps the best album of the year so far....23. I love it. Especially,the title song,The Dress and Sliently...

and from their previous....Elephant Woman:heart: :heart:

357357270054.jpeg

63jtweg.jpg

do check their beautifully designed web site too!!

*http://www.4ad.com
*http://www.blonde-redhead.com

^ I couldn't agree more...how resfreshing to hear something from them that is different from their past albums.

Love Blonde Redhead, I wish there were more pictures of Kazu's outfits, she's got a great sense of style a lot of ankle boots and floating dresses.

I'm surprised they're not more mainstream than they are. Their music is so easy to like. I like them a lot.

Whoo, thanks Scott! :heart:
it was about time.. BRH has quite a large base of fans at TFS, no?.. albeit most of them might've left come to think of it.. -_-

I love 23 .. especially the last two tracks in the record.. My Impure Hair & Top Ranking. I think it's one of their most outstanding albums, it obviously lacks the harder edge of Fake can be just as good or In an expression of the inexpressible (my favorite) but I still think it's beautifully written and it just seems to have more 'depth' than their previous work.. in my opinion of course. :P

I still haven't heard 23 ! but if the cover's anything to go by, i know I'm going to love it :P

^isn't it adorable?!

btw,kazu is indeed very lovely! she loooooves horses and nature :heart:

you're welkom everyone! i completely agree with you about the depth in this,mullet.

i just heard them for the first time, only the song 23, but i love it :heart:

23 is special and dear. Lovely surprise as, imo, Misery is a Butterfly was a tad disappointing. I, too, miss the hard-edge of days gone pass but Kazu's lovely voice and the sublime muscial arrangements are entrancing enough.

...so far "The Dress" is on repeat...I love that song...

23 is a great album, definitely worth buying!

Last edited by a moderator:
...we're still getting to know one another, need to spend the night together before i'm going to commit to anything :innocent:

i've never bought any of their albums but what would be a good one to start?

I can't stop listening to it, it's gorgeous - that word I hate :wub:

so far my favourites are top ranking, the dress and silently - but I'm definitely not skipping tracks! I agree with Scott - one of the year's best thus far... :woot:
my one issue is still Amadeo's voice... :lol:
some reviews, in case anyone's interested..

With each album since Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons, Blonde Redhead has made huge strides forward with their sound. Misery Is a Butterfly pitted fragile melodies against dark, swirling arrangements, and its tragic glamour turned the album into a cult favorite. On 23, the band trades the cloistered chamber rock of Butterfly for tone-bending dream pop and subtle electronics; while the wide open spaces sound a little bare at first, this streamlined approach ends up making this Blonde Redhead's loveliest and most accessible work yet. The group begins each album with a bold statement of purpose, and 23 is no different. The epic title track's delicate electronic rhythms, swooping, shimmering guitars, and majestically bittersweet melody pitch it somewhere between My Bloody Valentine and Asobi Seksu, showing how a more restrained Blonde Redhead can still sound lush and haunting. "Spring and Summer by Fall"'s streaming, comet-tail guitars and "Silently"'s thorny melody hark back to Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons, while "Heroine"'s vocoders sound surprisingly fresh, giving the song a fairy tale-meets-sci-fi vibe. This more whimsical, if not exactly lighthearted, feel flows through much of 23, especially on "Dr. Strangeluv," which boasts playful percussion and sparkling synths, and "Top Ranking," which layers Kazu Makino's vocals into futuristic girl group harmonies. However, Blonde Redhead hasn't ditched the brooding beauty of Misery Is a Butterfly entirely. "The Dress" is just as darkly stunning as any song on that album, with looping gasps and insistent guitars circling lyrics like "the fear starts creeping up when you have so much to lose," while "SW"'s melody and psychedelic brass interlude have a Butterfly-esque intensity. And as always, Blonde Redhead has a flair for haunting melodies, particularly on "Publisher," the chorus of which sounds peculiarly like Aerosmith's "Dream On." 23 is stunning — in fact, its only flaw might be that its track listing is a little top-heavy, resulting in an album with an amazing first half and a flip side that is only very good. Nitpicking aside, 23 is mysterious and modern, with an artfully strange beauty that is more memorable than perfection. allmusic.com

The reverberating chime of piano that opens the title track to Blonde Redhead's 23 sounds, at first, like a remnant of the melodramatic chamber-gaze of Misery Is a Butterfly. The open space between the notes sustains the tension, as one might expect strings and atmospheric synths to fill the gap. Instead, an intense rush of drums and effects-laden guitar charges through, telling the listener, almost instantly, that the band is ready to rock once again.

Blonde Redhead's previous two full-lengths, Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons and the aforementioned Misery, respectively, took their abrasive, curious rock toward a much less conventional approach, eventually adding more lush arrangements and evolving further into a sophisticated pop group, at times resembling Portishead, at others Serge Gainsbourg, and ultra-gloom Cure at others still. With 23, however, the band simplifies their sound for a streamlined, energetic, yet still mysterious and magical effect. Many of the strings and other bells and whistles have been largely scaled back in favor of a comparatively straightforward guitar/keyboard/drums sound, "comparatively" being the watchword. It's not in the group's nature to do anything totally straightforward.

Retaining much of the mystique that characterized Misery, 23 entices and allures on different terms, slinking in a little black dress rather than smiling behind an ornate disguise at a masquerade ball. Both records are quite impressive, but 23 has a more direct feel, the fast-paced title track being the earliest and most potent evidence of that. There's still a sense of Misery's heartbreaking beauty, particularly when Kazu Makino coos "23 seconds, all things we love will die." But Makino's tragic dreaminess gives way to some Kevin Shields-like guitar work from Amedeo Pace, and a super catchy "la la la la la la." "Dr. Strangeluv" doesn't hit with as much of an impact, but its atmospheric beauty is no less captivating, a rich layer of synths filling the song with a gauzy sonic fog.

"The Dress" has no relation to PJ Harvey's "Dress," and might even be something of a yin to that song's yang, descending into a melancholy spiral rather than outrightly rocking out. Amedeo takes the lead on a pair of songs right in the middle of the album, his vocal presence a much rarer phenomenon here than on the band's last couple of outings. On the heavily plodding "SW," Pace eerily incants "it's not who you kill, but it's who you left...it's not how you speak, but it's what you said." Horns adorn the song's bridge, lightening up the otherwise dense and chilling atmosphere momentarily. The track that immediately follows, "Spring and By Summer Fall," shoots forth with more of a guitar-heavy rock sound, still dreamy and dense, but propulsive and, quite frankly, awesome.

The second half of the album isn't as viscerally intense, as the nigh girl group melody of "Silently" starts off the latter portion, Makino singing a nautically-themed love ode with lyrics like "I wish to sail into your port." "Publisher," the only other track featuring lead vocals by Amedeo, is a slower track, but still heavy with effects and synths, building up into a heavier and epic track during the chorus. "Heroine" finds the group experimenting with vocoders, while "Top Ranking" has a playfully energetic sound, fuzzy organ harmonies swirling around simple basslines and some kind of odd hiccupping sound, offsetting the darker lyrics ("they will burn down your house"). The album ends with "My Impure Hair," a slower, simpler, almost country-sounding track and a pretty one at that, still thick with effects and trippy studio tricks.

When compared to Misery Is a Butterfly or Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons, 23 sounds very much like the same band, just one attempting a similar style of songwriting with very different production and instrumentation. Blonde Redhead is on a hell of a streak, and their pace only quickens with each release. - treblezine.com

They performed ''23'' on Late Night with Conan O' Brian last night, and they were incredible! :blush:

Just saw them play last week :wink: the show was really great, probably the best I've seen of theirs. Usually I find their live show to be anticlimatic.

Overall they are one of my favorite bands..."23" is a really solid album Spring and by Summer Fall, and Publisher are my favorites :heart:

I think their music will be engrained in me forever...I was acutely obsessed with them for about a year during the "Melody of Certain Damaged Lemons" era :shock:

It doesnt hurt that Kazu has great style either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waldzios
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->