Bob Marley & Rastafarianism

sandra

Reaction score
Although the love for and anything about Bob Marley is hardly new (peaking during the late 70's) I begin to wonder about individuals, who have no idea who he was but sport dreadlocs and wear the rasta/African colors (red yellow & green) on their wrists. Do they know what a Rasta is and that having dreadlocs (commonly known now as locs) represents this lifestyle? Do they know the Jamaican connection and the African connection, or is it, like the Che thread, just a fashion? Bob Marley was not universally a universally love man, by the way...Even in Jamaica.

well...do u think all the people who wear all black, listen to heavy music, rip their jeans, have dark makeup, black hair etc. know all the details of history of this stream of culture too? hardly yes..not even close.

Dreadlocks are free for all - Rastas don't have a monopoly on them.

Well I know the reD, green, yellow wristband trend could be a result of the show American Idol. Camile Velasco made that wristband a little more trendy by wearing it on every show, saying it represents what she believes in, and it was her good luck charm.

Originally posted by xclusive@Jun 30th, 2004 - 7:41 pm
well...do u think all the people who wear all black, listen to heavy music, rip their jeans, have dark makeup, black hair etc. know all the details of history of this stream of culture too? hardly yes..not even close.
Very true. :lol:

Originally posted by SashaMarie@Jul 2nd, 2004 - 10:10 pm
Well I know the reb, green, yellow wristband trend could be a result of the show American Idol. Camile Velasco made that wristband a little more trendy by wearing it on every show, saying it represents what she believes in, and it was her good luck charm.

actually not really. A lot of people wore them before and I don't even know who that girl is. I think a lot of people wear them because they think Jamaica is cool? Actually I have no idea why people wear them.

Regarding the wristbands. Many female and male entertainers in the last decade have sported them, from
Living Color, to Gwen Stefani, Lauren Hill and Wycliff Jean.

I dont really understand this post obviously there must be some people who have no idea who bob marly is etc and there will be some who do. What has this all got to do with people having dreadlocs really, do people with mullets know who Jon Bon Jovi is...... He is just some one who sported this hairstyle
what does it matter if some one has dreadlocs but does not have a clue who bob marley was, im sure he wouldnt be insulted or really give a tos.

Prior to the veryday use of hairbrushes, shampoo etc a lot more people naturally had dredlocks. The Scots were known for them, most Polynesian cultures can get dredlocks quite easily. Dredlocks do not only associate with Rastafarianism, they're more universal - but yes when teamed with photos of Bob, the colors, images of pot.... I'm always curious about people with dredlocks, who say they're rasta and they drink :blink:

chicana.JPG

i dunno why buh i think this girl pulls it off well

Rastas, Marley and Jamaica are all main theme at Dior for this season,
Jamaica culture is very hot -and quite mainstream- at the moment.

here we go :innocent:

Attachments

• dior_1_.jpg
    dior_1_.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 29
They'll always be posers and true fans..you can't help it...

plus rasta is now a trend so it cant be helped.

I can only say that from childhood the Red, Gold,Green or Ital colours as they are called, were associated with rastafarianism, which is a religion. The red symbolises(if i am correct) the blood that as shed, yellow - the sun, green - the grass. Dont ask me why, im sure you can read up on the internet about it. Im going 15+ years back in memory for this. Just like anything that people catch onto, it becomes the 'next' big fashion item, exploitation has always and will always be around. :wink:

Nylon bag, L.A.M.B. for LeSportsac, $72 (lesportsac.com) Pins, Earth Culture Roots, $2 each (earthcultureroots.com)

bag.gif

Another pic of just the bag:

Attachments

• Earl.jpg
    Earl.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 2
Why just wear the sweatband when you can have the whole shoe?? :ninja: GHETTO COUTURE? Juicy Couture has been outdone :sick:

heel.gif

Sweatband pump. Ghetto Couture by Bougie, $165 for pair (bougiestyles.com)

dress.gif

Mesh jersey dress, Cubika, $84 (miniminimarket.com) Yarn belt, Earth Culture Roots, $13 (earthcultureroots.com)

Good luck taping your boobs in :D

hat.gif

I would actually wear this.. it's cute it a strange sort of way.

Crochet hat, Dior by John Galliano, $735 (800-929-DIOR)

Sweatband and wristband set, Hotntrendy, $7 (hotntrendy.com)

sweatbands.gif

Wear them all together. :shock:

I am honestly SO sick of wristbands..... they started out as this "punk" thing.. now EVERYONE wears them at my school, especially the checkered ones. And the initial wristbands from Claire's, those are so ugly even the peons at my school didn't fall for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
haleyabhdisjsbw209
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->