Brand Managers, what exactly do they do?

Discussion in 'Careers, Education & the Business of Fashion' started by n(n), Mar 8, 2009.

1. n(n)

n(n) New Member

Could someone perhaps give some examples of what a brand manager does in the fashion industry, or what brand managing in general entails?

2. csmboy

csmboy New Member

they run the operational side of a brands collection development.....They generally source fabrics, trimmings, fastenings, linings etc etc basically everything that goes into the manufacturing of a garment. They oversee the whole of the collection, from initial toiles to the final samples. Also depending on the structure of the company, could be involved also in the final production of the collection for the stores - but generally there is a separate production manager for this.

In basic terms they are the middle person between the designer and the manufacturer, they should do within reason everything the designer requires, but generally has a budget to work to.

3. n(n)

n(n) New Member

Really? I thought they were involved in creating concepts and trying to convey a certain image to the public.

4. BetteT

BetteT Mod Squad Team Leader

And yet.... here's what it says in Wikipedia:
    Which seems to support n(n)'s opinion above. This interests me, so I'm going to see if I can find out anything about the other opinion ... sometimes terms overlap.

5. BetteT

From changingminds.org:

6. BetteT

Here's something from About.com
    Now this sort of feeds into what csmboy was saying about overseeing the operational side of developing the line ... at least a Brand Manager might supervise and direct production, based on the marketing needs of the company. But it seems that it is much broader than just the operations ... it's everything to do with marketing and brand recognition and value ... and that includes making decisions about what a company will produce, the profitability of the company (costs of production and pricing) and the image of the company.