Camilla Åkrans - Photographer

^^ The ed with Behati is very ethereal. I like it. I love the colors of the background and the scenery.

I think shes very underappreciated - her work is phenomenal! very etheral and dream-like.

ps. is Anja Rubik a favourite of Camilla's?

does anyone know much about the technical aspects of her lighting? she does a lot outdoors stuff but its always so evenly lit. does she use lots of big scrims for diffusion or something?

Love Camilla's work :wub: I guess Anja is a favourite of hers!

^^ And who can blame Camilla? :wub: Anja is fantastic.

I love those Malgosia ads...

does anyone know much about the technical aspects of her lighting? she does a lot outdoors stuff but its always so evenly lit. does she use lots of big scrims for diffusion or something?

she tends to shoot in very open places, hence the even light. She uses standard reflectors (like flexfill,or lastolites) or a very small softbox handheld to open up detail in the models eyes. She is a horrendous individual to work for.
krizzlec

she tends to shoot in very open places, hence the even light. She uses standard reflectors (like flexfill,or lastolites) or a very small softbox handheld to open up detail in the models eyes. She is a horrendous individual to work for.
krizzlec

have you worked with her before?
or do you know someone who has worked with her?

that's a shame to hear krizzle...
but i suppose it's the reality.....you're not going to like everyone
:flower:

i have worked with her a number of times.

interesting... it's always cool to hear personal experiences

i think too often we assume that people who create beautiful things are beautiful themselves (in personality at least)..
like their work is a reflection of who they are...
i guess that's not exactly the case with Camilla..

I think many photographers are a bit of a pain to work for, but with good reason. They have to run a tight ship, cus if somethings go wrong, or time runs out, they are to blame. Longer shoots means model needs to be paid more, as well as make up artists, hair stylists, assistants, location fees and the client isn't always happy about picking up that bill. So if a photographer is whipping around people on a shoot, it's for a good reason. Doesn't mean they are a horrendous person in private.

krizzlec

that's all?? she manages to fill in the harsh shadows of direct sunlight with some reflectors or a small softbox? i thought maybe she used some big scrims or something. she must do a lot of post-production. is she shooting digital?

I think many photographers are a bit of a pain to work for, but with good reason. They have to run a tight ship, cus if somethings go wrong, or time runs out, they are to blame. Longer shoots means model needs to be paid more, as well as make up artists, hair stylists, assistants, location fees and the client isn't always happy about picking up that bill. So if a photographer is whipping around people on a shoot, it's for a good reason. Doesn't mean they are a horrendous person in private.

I disagree - photographers have no excuse for being pigs to work for...it's the producer's job to make sure the shoot is run like a 'tight ship', and photographers at Camilla's level usually have at least 2 assistants to do all the technical and physical work, usually turning up several hours before the photographer. The photographer arrives on set with the lighting and model pretty much ready, and does their magic, then leaves everyone to pack up at the end of the day.

Working for a nasty photographer is all too common. I've worked for a-holes and very nice ones, and I'll only ever accept repeat jobs from the nice ones. You trap more flies with honey than vinegar afterall, and I hope I never become a nasty one.

I disagree - photographers have no excuse for being pigs to work for...it's the producer's job to make sure the shoot is run like a 'tight ship', and photographers at Camilla's level usually have at least 2 assistants to do all the technical and physical work, usually turning up several hours before the photographer. The photographer arrives on set with the lighting and model pretty much ready, and does their magic, then leaves everyone to pack up at the end of the day.

Working for a nasty photographer is all too common. I've worked for a-holes and very nice ones, and I'll only ever accept repeat jobs from the nice ones. You trap more flies with honey than vinegar afterall, and I hope I never become a nasty one.

Yeah, there is no reason to act nasty as a photographer. The shoots I have been involved with are probably on a smaler scale than the ones you have been on, so the photographer is usually plenty more involved in the processe. What I have seen is that alot of assistants have issues understanding their role, and they often confuse directions from the photographer as the photographer being an ***.

But this is from my brief period of assisting.

The scene over here is fairly different as well. The photographer is way more involved as there is no producers and such. I'm usually the first one to arrive and the last one to leave.....

Yeah, there is no reason to act nasty as a photographer. The shoots I have been involved with are probably on a smaler scale than the ones you have been on, so the photographer is usually plenty more involved in the processe. What I have seen is that alot of assistants have issues understanding their role, and they often confuse directions from the photographer as the photographer being an ***.

But this is from my brief period of assisting.

The scene over here is fairly different as well. The photographer is way more involved as there is no producers and such. I'm usually the first one to arrive and the last one to leave.....

Yeah it is quite different in New York - I was very shocked when I came here and saw that quite often the photographer hardly talks to the assistant at all, and the definitely don't make small talk and general chit chat, as they do where I'm from originally. But there are a few really nice ones in NY too - it's just the super duper successful ones who tend to lose touch with reality.

i agree with you 100%. There is absolutely no reason to ever be rude, unpleasant, scream and make a scene. When it comes down to it, all you are doing is taking photographs of pretty people wearing pretty clothes, getting payed boat loads of money, and traveling the world. You are not in Darfur photographing a civil war and dodging bullet, etc.

"Love in the Afternoon"
Vogue Nippon October 2007
Fashion Editor: George Cortina
Model: Lily Donaldson

scanned by Gold Star

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AprilL