can you handle it? being a fashion designer *wwd article

Great article, there was a lot in there that I identify/agree with. I think the real challenge in designing is being able to take the mood, whatever the source may be, and infuse it into the design while not allowing it to overtake the design. It's very important that the message doesn't overshadow the clothes because at the end of the day, the clothes are meant to be worn.

Spike413 said:
Great article, there was a lot in there that I identify/agree with. I think the real challenge in designing is being able to take the mood, whatever the source may be, and infuse it into the design while not allowing it to overtake the design. It's very important that the message doesn't overshadow the clothes because at the end of the day, the clothes are meant to be worn.

AGREED!!! oh..and lovely article!!

Is being a designer as hard as they say?!

My dream is to be a Fashion Designer and I so cant wait to start my BA course in fashion and textiles in college. I should hope it will be fantastic as I hope.
How ever I wanted opinions from the people who have been there and done that. When I've got all my qualifications I want to move to New York city and make my dreams real and I know the fashion industry is a tuff and competive one!

Guys help me! whats it really like?! I just hope its pays good salaries :P

If you're after a good salary I'd advise you to become an acountant or a lawyer.

If you want to be a fashion designer, you tend to do it for the love of creativity...not the bank balance :flower:

it's not my aim to discourage you but I know quite a lot of people who are trying to make it in the industry and it's just really really tough. Only very few become a john galliano, most of fashion designers end up working in big companies with little or no creative freedom. It's just a depressing reality, but it's like that with the majority of creative jobs. While with fashion design you're almost guaranteed to find some kind of work, it will probably be nothing you dream of. The salaries are ok once you gain good experience, and you're more likely to make decent money in America

Thanks guys:P ...Dont get me wrong tho, I'm not taking the card because of the money, I'm doing it because I love to design and be creative with my drawings, how ever I would still like to have a life!
My plan is to move to America as i said and work in a big company I'm happy..which I would do for about 10 years and then start up my own line, I love the life which is busy and full of unknown possibilities^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
5starnoe
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->