Cavalli faces jail time

F

fashionologie

Designer faces jail in £1.5m tax case over home revamp
By Nick Pisa in Rome
(Filed: 19/02/2006)
The fashion designer Roberto Cavalli faces two years in jail after being prosecuted for an alleged £1.5 million tax fraud.

Cavalli, 65, who counts Victoria Beckham, Madonna and Jennifer Lopez among his friends, ran up the bill for home improvements to his villa and tried to claim it as a business expense, setting the work against his annual company tax bill and insisting that he often used his home for fashion shoots.

But officers from the Guardia di Finanza, Italy's version of HM Revenue and Customs, were suspicious and officials said the improvements, which included a helicopter hangar and landing pad in addition to an indoor and outdoor pool, could not possibly represent a legitimate business expense.

Tomasso Coletta, prosecuting, put forward the case against Cavalli in a three-year trial which was adjourned last week in Florence. A judge is now considering both a verdict and sentencing.

Cavalli, widely regarded as Italy's leading fashion designer, insists that his home's fittings are essential for entertaining clients. He told the court: "My house is not my home - it's my workplace, it's my office, it's my imagination and where I have fashion shoots. It's the place where Madonna, Sting, Cindy Crawford and Jennifer Lopez try the clothes that I create. It's where I welcome my most important clients.

"That is why I claimed the cost of the improvements against my tax liability. It is a legitimate expense."

Cavalli's hilltop home at Pian dei Giullari on the outskirts of Florence is said to be one of the finest in Italy. It commands views of the Duomo and is reported to be worth £10 million.

He lives there with his wife, Eva Duringer, a former Miss Universe, and their three children.

Mr Coletta said the work, carried out between 1996 and 2000, was for Cavalli's personal use and should not have been offset against company tax. He dismissed the designer's claims and urged Judge Linda Vannucci to impose the maximum two-year sentence for making a false declaration.

Cavalli's defence lawyer, Alessandro Traversi, told the Sunday Telegraph: "Mr Cavalli is convinced he has done nothing wrong and the building work was a legitimate business expense. All the bills went through the books of Mr Cavalli's business because the work done on the villa was a legitimate business expense." Cavalli will have the automatic right to appeal should the judge decide to jail him.

(telegraph.co.uk)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if he goes to jail, who will design his collections? :ninja:
(I dunno why I find this hilarious, lol)

Last edited by a moderator:
Salvatore said:

Probly his wife she help with the collections. If he goes to jail he'll have street cred when he get's out.

:lol: :rolleyes:

I agree with you, the article seems to be laced with strange generalizations, not only "Italy's leading fashion designer" but also that his house is one of "the finest in Italy." I'm sure it is great, but doesn't that seem a little subjective?

Anyway, hopefully nothing will happen to Andrew Mackenzie, widely regarded as "northern Europe's leading fashion designer." (yes that was a joke).

John

Djavanjmiles said:
Probly his wife she help with the collections. If he goes to jail he'll have street cred when he get's out.

Just like Martha :lol:

Naturally a guy who chooses a former Miss Universe to bear his children cannot be expected to understand the intricacies of tax law ... or to distinguish between his house and his "imagination" ... :innocent:

when I first read the thread title Cavalli faces jail time crimes much worse than tax fraud went through my head for some reason.

Oh noes! I love Cavalli! Who will design :( hmmm...TOM FORD :D :lol:

Im sure he is not goin to prison, most celebs do what he did I remember Boris Becker had a tax scandal not long ago its all good.

Im sure he is not goin to prison, most celebs do what he did I remember Boris Becker had a tax scandal not long ago its all good.

JJohnson said:
Oh noes! I love Cavalli! Who will design :( hmmm...TOM FORD :D :lol:

He could really improve cavalli- That would be fantastic!

When I first read the topic, I thought Cavalli had been arrested by the fashion police for designing excessively Tacky clothing:lol: :lol:

Djavanjmiles said:

:lol: :ninja:

Salvatore said:

i'm thinking orange jumpsuits and black and white stripes for next summer.....

<_< :eyes cavalli haters:
anyways..that sucks..who will design?..=T i love his shows..i dont think they are tacky or bad looking at all

and the street credit thing..XD..oh my..i hope gangtas dont start buying his clothes

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rare
Back
monitoring_string = "058526dd2635cb6818386bfd373b82a4"
<-- Admiral -->